View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next
 ladies comments for new travellers 

I hav'nt posted in here before but here goes don't know if it will be of much help to anyone. I travel on my own Hubby ( or stick in the mud) stays home. The Cub Drifter has gone and I'm in the proccess of packing everthing into my new to me van. What a mess, what was neat and well stored in the camper is not so good in the van, sizes and spaces are all differant. I'm lucky Hubby willingly fixes and changes any thing I ask for. I have a tool box growing in size for just in case. Gaffa tape wonderful stuff. Trips away so far are limited to 3/4 nights every couple of months. Still work restricted. Cooking whatever or when ever. I keep things simple. Walk lots take photo's. Pretty much just do what I want at the time.
Really looking forward to my first trip in the van to Boyup Brook WA meet n greet, that should sort out the what works where issue. Look forward to reading more on the ladies thread, keep it coming.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:20 am

Post Travelling hints/ideas
Good morning ladies,

Have just found this thread and how interesting and informative. We have just returned from a month in the Snowy Mountains, spending Christmas and New Year in a fabulous environment. One thing I especially picked up was to keep it simple! We had to be evacuated due to fire emergency, got the warning from the council and then later received the word to pack up and get out. If you keep your camping simple, there is less to pack up. We all worked as a team in our camping area but even still, it took some time to square away some of the vans.

Our Sterling has a storage area in the club lounge where I keep a library of books - my husband has joined me in this great relaxation and I make sure there is a wide selection of books for us both, likewise with DVD's as we usually are camping where there is no reception. Still on the simple theme, I have found that I am now removing stuff from the cupboards, things which I thought essential but realise have not been used. Likewise with the wardrobe - 3/4 pants and t-shirts (washed every few days and re-worn), 1 pr of jeans and jumper, good fleecy jacket and a pair of ugg boots - essential in cold weather and prevents mozzie bites on the ankles. I carry crocs, good sandals, one pair of dress shoes and joggers. I met someone in Tassie who was on the road, advised that a good outfit in case of weddings/funerals, is a good idea. Bathers of course.

In the pantry I use the plastic containers the flour comes in as storage for everything and in front of them in the cupboard, have smaller screw containers - nothing has spilled so far. I use take-away containers from the $2 shop for the freezer, fits in nicely and no cost to throw away after a couple of uses. I buy long life milk and keep it under the bed in storage. I use the van oven - purchased small Bessemer cookware (3 ltr casserole and frypan plus lid) which work well and we also have a Baby Q Weber - we cooked two rolled beef roasts during this last holiday (purchased in the local town so gave them our custom), plus turkey roasts for Chrissie.

Re haircuts - have become punkish and have a very short spiky cut, very tempted to have a purple flash put through it, love it, lots of gel/fudge and no trouble. Remember, it is only two weeks between a good and bad haircut, it grows. I even found a hairdresser at the Birdsville Races last year who was in town and advertising, great job too.

Confession - last winter we bought 'snuggies' - brilliant, turned off the air-con at home and curled up in these. They now reside in the van and have solved part of the heating issues. Must admit you could save money and just get a good fleecy, but the sleeves do make it easy to sit and read.

This last trip we invested in a shade/insect tent - not that many flies, but enough to stop me wanting to sit outside. Amazing how you see things others have and realise what a good idea they are. I am so impressed with my shade tent, I might even sleep in it when it is really hot. I kept wanting to take the doona inside it for a nana nap each day!

Cheers - Ngaire

2002 TD Landcruiser
2007 Jayco Sterling 23.72.3

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:15 am

hubby doesn't know what he's missing, does he? Jan

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:32 am

Hi Cub Drifter,
hubby doesn't know what he's missing, does he? Jan

Shhhh don't tell him now, he might want to tag along LOL it will never happen.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 pm

I also redo the van when I get home in readiness for the next trip. I change sheets, towels etc. I restock pantry and take the half used foodstuffs from the fridge to the house. I replace the butter etc with new packs.

I have the van plugged into power all the time at home so the fridge is always on.

I have house clothes and van clothes and wash the van clothes used and return them so that it is stocked with both summer and winter at all times. Yes swimmers in at all times along with 2 umbrellas and my waterproof hi vis jacket.

In summer I keep very little in way of manchester on the bed but have both a light weight and minke blanket stored under the bed should it get cold. I also have a couple of hot water bottles that live there as well.

The bathroom is repacked with the necessary toiletries, shampoo etc after each trip & the electric toothbrush recharged for the next trip.

I have a pair of ugg boots, wellies, joggers, 2 pair sandles (1 good and 1 slop about). I also have a pair little knitted slippers for inside the van.

I keep a couple of frozen meals in the freezer and just stock up the fridge/freezer with any last minute foods a day or 2 before leaving.

The last thing I do before setting off it wash the floor before locking the door.

The DP lives permanently in the van so if I need it at home I get it out and return it when I am finished.

I have on more than one occasion run out of something in the house and had to go to the van to get it. I have a notebook in the van and write in it anything that needs to be replaced before the next trip.

I have a medical kit in the van at all times and a smaller one in the vehicle.

Used plastic grocery bags (used for rubbish) are another item I restock after each trip.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Shhhh don't tell him now, he might want to tag along LOL it will never happen.

I am like you CD...I get away as often as I can on my own...it is a good trick.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Post Ladies Forum
Great thread ladies. Maybe us blokes can learn a thing or too from you.
Keep it going
Riko300

Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:23 pm

Got a question for somebody/anybody. Do you bother to try to protect the inside of the caravan fridge? What i mean is from bottles rubbing etc, do you put anything down to protect the inside.(mainly the doors) When i put wine or jars in, it tends to rub on the door.
Just thought i would ask.
Cheers,
Nola.

08 Concept Ascot

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:48 am

The Noisy Scrub Bird was moaning recently that there were no women posting on the Forum.

She used to put in her two bobs worth back aways so I will give her a nudge and let her know about this thread.

Certainly worth reading.

SD

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Got a question for somebody/anybody. Do you bother to try to protect the inside of the caravan fridge? What i mean is from bottles rubbing etc, do you put anything down to protect the inside.(mainly the doors) When i put wine or jars in, it tends to rub on the door.
Just thought i would ask.
Cheers,
Nola.

Chux wipes cut to size, works well on the bottom of door shelves as a liner in the home fridge. You could try that or the non slip matting ( Redot has the cheap rolls) not sure about the sides, maybe tuck a strip of matting behind the bottles and jars.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next