View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Yellow flag, ribbon etc. 

There will be a yellow map on both tug and new van at Coburg CP 30th Sept & 1st Oct, Trek 31 CP Albury 2nd Oct, Eagle Hawk CP Canberra 3-7th Oct, Albury again 7th Oct, Ashley Gardens CP Melb 8th Oct and Station Pier Melb late afternoon 9th Oct. Look out for white LC 200 and Supreme van with slideout side (blue trim) and come and say gooday!!!:D

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:02 am

Well we have been on the road for nearly nine weeks now up as far as Cairns back to Rockhamptom to Longreach, and done the loop back too Rockhampton and slowly making our way back to Hervey Bay then Redcliff and down towards the coast of NSW to make a return visit to Canberra, hoping the ice might have melted by then and after that, back home. As stated previopusly there has been very few Maps of Aus. Yellow Ribbon or Flags on the road either commimng or going We both have limp wrists from waving with very few responses, perhaps they have also gotten tired waving? and given it up as a bad habit. I don't know but there were very few responses to our limp, tired and worn out wrists. If We are going to be shocked going into Victoria I will let you know but dont hold your breath, you might suffocate.:confused:
Bill and Dawn.

Hello Bill and Dawn, yes, I agree with what you say and have observed ..... sad, isn't it.
We have all become islands, interested only in our own little worlds.
The days of the old Australian attitude seem to have gone by the wayside, and I for one lament the loss.
Why is it so do you think? Almost everyone I see towing a "van" of any description is Australian .... I will say no more for fear of being labelled racist etc, but you know what I mean I'm sure.
We are in great peril of becoming a minority, yet we can't take the time to acknowledge each other?
What a sad state of affairs, those who cannot be bothered to respond should be ashamed of themselves.
These are my thoughts & feelings regarding this , please or offend, I don't care.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi Softserve and Ruffnut, When we were away last year, up through the middle and then down the east coast we got sore arms and wrists from waving, sure down the east coast there was less waving, but up through the middle the waving was in full swing. I hope most of us still a friendly lot!!!!!

George

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:33 am

I recently did Brisbane ...Townsville return with lots of running around...a total of approx 4000km....NOT ONE DAM WAVE.......except from a few driving Wizz-Bangs.........

Thought....ha,,,I must be waving to the wrong colour ribbons !!!!!

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:09 pm

I want to report that during our recent trip from Adelaide to Brisbane and back, travelling through Mildura, Parkes, Coonabarrabran, Warwick etc. there was no shortage of waves, not many across the Hay Plains, but then there weren't many caravans either! There were times when hubby was battling strong head winds, that I took over with the waving and other times when we were so engrossed in the audio book we were listening to (15 cds in all) that we forgot to wave. But all in all we felt it was a very friendly experience. Stopping and chatting with fellow caravanners was great too, I find there's always something new to learn from others and it helps to break up the driving.

So take heart, Ruffnut and others, maybe it just depends on the route you take, there's definitely still plenty of friendly, like-minded people out there.
Cheers

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:55 pm

hi all, we've been back for 3 weeks now but on our jouney out west and down south to vic back through centre nsw (5000 km) we waved and got plenty of waves back, a few didn't respond, didn't let that bother us. we flew our yellow ribbon kept a look out did't see any, maybe next time!!
cheers whitey

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Put our Oz Map Forum decal on today along with a UHF40 decal. Taken me a while to get around to it.

Brought the van home over these last few days. Heaps of vans on the road with a large variety of number plates.

Plenty of waves. Usually the flasher the rig the less chance of a wave we noticed. Nearly all the van traffic going in the opposite direction to us. They heading home from holidaying where we live.

It's all good.

Take it easy.
SD

Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Post Yellow ribbon and waving
Just returned from 4 months of waving to nearly everything that moves.
Started to wish they would stop, so I could too.
Ended up driving with my thumb up, on the steering wheel, so everyone thought I was waving at them.

Set off from Cranbourne on 13th June with yellow ribbons flying off everything only to discover that at the end of the day, with the rain and roadgrime my yellow ribbons turned to yellow/grey/black ribbons.
Had to take them off - didnt see any others anyway.
Good idea but!

Jeff.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:25 pm

Another three months of Long Service Leave put to good use in a really good off-road rig! The BT is just superb!
11th July to 30th September saw us take in the following.
Stage 1 - Adelaide - Riverland, Wentworth, Broken Hill, Milparinka, Tibooburra, Noccundra, Eromanga, Charleville.
Stage 2 - Tambo, Blackall, Barcaldine, Longreach, Winton, Combo WH, Richmond, Hughenden, Townsville, Cairns.
Stage 3 - Mareeba, Lakeland, Weipa, Bramwell Junction, Heathlands NP, Twin / Eliot falls, Siesia. Roughest roads we have EVER experienced! But just took it easy with about 25 - 28 psi in all tyres.
Stage 4 - the Cape region
Stage 5 - Siesia, Chilli Beach, Cooktown, Cairns.
Stage 6 - Mareeba, Chillagoe, Undara, Einasleigh, Forsayth, Cobbold Gorge, Georgetown, Normanton, Karumba.
Stage 7 - Burketown, Edels Grove, Lawn Hill, Riversleigh, Mt isa.
Stage 8 - Boulia, Diamantina NP, Bedourie, Birdsville, Mungerannie, Lynhurst, Hawker, Druids Range, Napperby, home.

We gave and recieved HEAPS of waves through out.

What we did miss though was the TOTAL absence of any YELLOW tape, sticker, whatever hellos in all of those 82 days!

Where were all the other yellow sticker people?

Cheers - Mobi

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:36 pm

Post Yellow ribbon ??????
I am new to the caravan scene, when I first started caravanning (6 months ago) I was surprised to see other caravanners give me a wave as they drove past, as a truck driver I was use one or two finger wave from passing trucks while driving the truck, but the caravan wave was all new to me (I caught on pretty quick thou)

On a return trip from North Qld a few months ago I saw a old American LHD motorhome pass me, and the driver had made a mechnical hand that popped up from the right hand side of the dash that waved, I laughed for ages, very very funny

So I now have to ask what is a yellow ribbon / flag for?

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next