View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What you bought over seas and why 

Post Re: What you bought over seas and why
Hi everyone,

I support Australian Made whenever I can, but not at a large expense of my wallet.

Just got 9 LED / SMD replacements for all the van, plus 4 x 24cm strip lights, 2 x 120cm strip lights, 6 SMD down light replacements for a room in the house, and 2 IR motion sensor lights.

Total cost including postage was around $64. To compare - went to the Caravan Show in Brisbane last week end and one strip light at 120 cm was $87.

Why would I pay that money for one light when you can see the list of goodies I just got off ebay for $64.

My 2 cents worth.

Muzz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:44 am

I try to support local business, that is a benefit to us all but just bought my wife a new camera for our China trip and wanted a spare battery 3 shops price were $65.00 - $90.00 my spare battery from Hong Kong (larger capacity) was $19.00 inc. delivery.
Works a treat.
Why do we charge so much??? not to mention going back to the store (well known Camera store) did not want to know me when they realised I wasn't buying another camera just a few accessories, got the flick very quick.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 am

I think you are right Mally, it is not just the price and convenience of buying overseas. I think these days I am not vested in the success of an individual store I think because there are many cases where they are not interested in me.

Two instances, went to a shoe store "Infat-shoe-ation" before Christmas with my daughter, found a reasonable pair and asked them to hold and we will be back...but being honest said we want to check the "opposition" two doors up first. Came back (15 minutes) to find that they had put them back on the shelf. Didn't buy them of course.

Jaycar, walked in to buy cable, guy rushed over to sell me it and then tried to cross sell a DC - DC converter and when I wasn't interested and wanted some terminals walked off with "if they are not on the wall we don't have them"...

Makes overseas and local internet sellers look very good.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:42 am

Hi, reading that some of you buy from Amazon in the US but when I check out price seems cheap but the postage is outrageous. Looking at a $30 item and shows $54 postage eg. lightweight Scotty Anchor Lock. New to buying so is this the case and if so then it is not cheaper than buying it here. Any infor is appreciated.

Fri May 25, 2012 4:15 pm

I bought 12volt chargers (cigaret lighter type) to suit phone, laptop and camera (ie correct voltage/amp for each unit) They are dirt cheap on Ebay (including postage) and they work fine.

Fri May 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Re opening old thread.
Hi folks, not from overseas but an internet purchase.
I have a pump on a tank at home and the pressure switch is cactus. My son (sparkey) said best not to fix buy a new Local pump places have them for $ 60-00 but have to get one in.
Google, Google and found one in
Aus delivered free $ 20-00. It sure pays to look.

The power supply comes into the pump motor through this and control the flow and protects the pump from overload.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI ... 1443027181

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 am

I haven't read this entire thread - just coming in on the tail end. I too buy a lot of my stuff on ebay rather than shopping in-store locally. However, I do try and favour at least those ebay sellers that have an Australian warehouse or distribution network, mainly for quick delivery.

When you look at the goods in many stores, they sell exactly the same item as those on ebay, but for a hugely inflated price. We don't make a huge amount of items in Australia, most are imported in any case and many come straight out of China. Why would I pay many more times the price in-store if I can get it delivered to my door for a fraction of the price?

However, before you jump on me, I do buy Australian if the quality is there. I have over $2000 worth of Redarc gear which is manufactured here and quite a bit of our household furniture is also Aussie made. But I refuse to pay a premium for imported goods, just because they are stocked in a local store at inflated prices.

Gerry

Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:55 am

Pays to do your homework as well one jaycar store digital thermometer $29.99 jaycar store 15 km away same item $19.99
Also local brew shop buyes from jaycar and sells same item $45.00

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:27 pm

If you buy stuff on line, check out the seller carefully.

Be careful what you purchase on eBay.

A friend has just spent $100 on a penis enlarger.

Bastards sent him a magnifying glass.

The only instructions said, "Do not use in the sunlight."

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:23 pm

Red nib you brightened our day, both wife and I roared with that one. :lol:

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next