AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION FOR A FORUM ?

For Q&A’s about the website structure and performance
Lance
Rising star

Re: AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION FOR A FORUM ?

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 pm

These days there’s a bit more to be considered with a public forum site.
It’s not hard to find yaself in deep crap if someone takes serious offence at something posted on YOUR forum.
There are ways to protect yaself, but there are costs involved.

Think hard before kickin in 10 bucks for a bit of fame…………… 8-)
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Collyn
Been here for a while

Post by Collyn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 am

Lance

Whilst what you say is true the probability of a forum being sued is low simply because the costs of launching a case are enormous, and the damages (even if won) are unlikely to cover the cost (that is literally in the hundreds of thousands of dollars). It also usually requires a court to issue a subpeona to obtain the alleged offenders identity, but that can be done relatively easily with ‘detective’ work.

Hint: look for consistent mispellings or idiosyncratic phrasing (or known membership on another forum) and Google – entering them as terms to search for. Works surprisingly well.

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn’t true.

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:32 am

Collyn wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 am
Lance

Whilst what you say is true the probability of a forum being sued is low simply because the costs of launching a case are enormous, and the damages (even if won) are unlikely to cover the cost (that is literally in the hundreds of thousands of dollars). It also usually requires a court to issue a subpeona to obtain the alleged offenders identity, but that can be done relatively easily with ‘detective’ work.

Hint: look for consistent mispellings or idiosyncratic phrasing (or known membership on another forum) and Google – entering them as terms to search for. Works surprisingly well.

Collyn
The risk of litigation is high enough for many forum Admin to be concerned these days to the extent of taking action to protect themselves personally.
Personally I’m not interested in the legalities or terminology, I just like my house.

If you’re prepared to take that risk, that’s OK to.
Lance & Anne

SLWB HiAce Campervan

diesel
Cracked the big time

Post by diesel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:04 pm

Collyn wrote:
Lance

Collyn
Do people actually do that and why would they bother?

From your comment, it would appear that you have traced somebody’s identity and I am interested to know why you would do such a thing. Is it simply because you don’t agree with their point of view or something more sinister like owing you money, stole your dog etc?

It doesn’t sit well with me that a member of a forum would attempt to expose the identity of another member, let alone succeed in doing so. We are all entitled to the anonymity that our username provides.

Jeff

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:40 pm

Collyn wrote:
People start running when a law firm letter arrives.

I have to take my hat off the Tracey who runs a Facebook forum on caravans who has been sued and stood up to them.

Collyn
Been here for a while

Post by Collyn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:51 am

diesel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:04 pm
Collyn wrote:
Lance

Collyn
Do people actually do that and why would they bother?

From your comment, it would appear that you have traced somebody’s identity and I am interested to know why you would do such a thing. Is it simply because you don’t agree with their point of view or something more sinister like owing you money, stole your dog etc?

It doesn’t sit well with me that a member of a forum would attempt to expose the identity of another member, let alone succeed in doing so. We are all entitled to the anonymity that our username provides.

Jeff
My advice is directly from the Associate Professor of Law at one of Australia’s major universities. I will ask him to write a Blog for me re just that.

Re: your second issue – that anonymity ceases with ongoing public denial on many forums of one’s provable working history (over many years and countless requests to cease). In this instance it was for over 10 years and countless forums. It still continues on one – virtually run by this man. Admin (here ) is aware of the issue.

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn’t true.

diesel
Cracked the big time

Post by diesel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks for the reply Collyn. I thought from your previous post that you alluded to actually tracing the identity of somebody yourself or am I correct?

Don’t bother with the blog from the Professor just to satisfy my curiosity, I’m not really all that interested.

!0 years you’ve been going head to head with the same person on countless forums?

Ever thought about changing your username just to confuse the bugger?

Jeff

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:08 pm

……or ignore him………….. :roll:

Any more thoughts on AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION FOR A FORUM from anyone ??

Or do we just sit tight and weight for more info from management ?
Lance & Anne

SLWB HiAce Campervan

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:45 pm

I think all the options have been covered and certainly gives food for thought should the situation arise. Until then I reckon we just sit tight until we know for sure what the future holds.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18′

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:00 pm

Yes, I reckon you’re right Gerry.

Just see what happens then worry about it ;-)
Lance & Anne

SLWB HiAce Campervan

Return to “Website Matters”