AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION FOR A FORUM ?

For Q&A’s about the website structure and performance
Lance
Rising star

AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION FOR A FORUM ?

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Thinking out loud……

If CandM was to be closed down by the Administration we would lose lots of info and friendships.
Without pre-empting a closure is it premature to consider an alternative ?

Some definitive input from management would be great here ……. ;-)
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

rredbeak
Major contributor

Re: AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION FOR A FORUM ?

Post by rredbeak » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:33 pm

assuming something like that happened , id like to suggest someone starts a facebook C&M page n we all carry on .bt lost all our history tho.
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Face Book would not be a good alternative as not everyone is a client.
For some reason they cancelled my account for when I’m on this desk top but not when on a lap top; go figure!!
glanyard
It is also full of fake news.
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 pm

We might be getting ahead of ourselves.

About 4 yrs ago I was invited to moderate a forum by an administrator and the owner had several forums that in a suttle way promoted his business.
I took the job on together with two others and the admin.

After 12 mths the owner sold the site for an obscene amount of money to a company who thought it would complement their business.
The admin left and the company got an admin on the payroll who was rarely heard from.

Three mths ago we found out the admin has hit the toe and there is no admin and no one answers our messages so it is left to three of us to manage the site.
It is not big probably 50 posts a day.

So I am sure if it doesn’t fit in with the business as I am sure it wont as the mag is closing I believe the forum will be sold and i am sure there would be buyers willing to pay for the forum.

Neophema
Been here for a while

Post by Neophema » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:44 am

Not interested in joining Facebook at all.

If the forum disappeared it wouldn’t be a great loss as there is very little activity on it.

On average I look at it about once a week, nothing much changes.

Like every other forum it has a handful of dominant characters.

Still a friendly forum though with the occasional topic of interest .
Our land abounds in Nature’s gifts, of beauty rich & rare.

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:28 am

Neopheme,
1. The amount of activity depends on you; by not asking about your problems means you have none? Go on!.
2. If you are looking at it once per week, then you are missing those posts that have come and gone in that time.
3. We have a handful of dominant characters because you choose not to be one.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:05 pm

And here I was thinking we had a culture of fixing and answering all different folks problems. I reckon this is what we want to protect for future use.

Daily chatter is just for a bit of interest and lubricates the wheel. That’s why topics of general interest are brought up for discussion.

Some how we tend to cover most subjects whilst trying to stay friendly as well. As Glanyard alludes to, you only get out what you put in. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:12 pm

glanyard wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:28 am
Neopheme,
1. The amount of activity depends on you; by not asking about your problems means you have none? Go on!.
2. If you are looking at it once per week, then you are missing those posts that have come and gone in that time.
glanyard
And that is no BS.
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Neophema
Been here for a while

Post by Neophema » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 pm

glanyard wrote:
Neophema,
glanyard
1. Haven’t got any problems to speak of, been bush camping regularly since the mid 70’s. Why would I want to ask someone with less experience than me?
2. Always look through to see what’s been posted for the previous week. Only takes about 20 minutes usually.
3. Don’t feel the need to become a major contributor. When I have something constructive to say I say it.

168 posts since joining isn’t too bad, better than some. Averages out at about 11 posts per month. :roll:
Our land abounds in Nature’s gifts, of beauty rich & rare.

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:14 am

Neophema wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 pm
glanyard wrote:
Neophema,
glanyard
1. Haven’t got any problems to speak of, been bush camping regularly since the mid 70’s. Why would I want to ask someone with less experience than me?
2. Always look through to see what’s been posted for the previous week. Only takes about 20 minutes usually.
3. Don’t feel the need to become a major contributor. When I have something constructive to say I say it.

168 posts since joining isn’t too bad, better than some. Averages out at about 11 posts per month. :roll:
Joining a forum as i see it is not only to get something out of it but also to give some ideas
Your 40+ years experience is something to be shared, I’m sure that by putting up some of the things you’ve done, those who are just starting out or even some more experienced could learn something new

Return to “Website Matters”