View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 The Magazine Going Forward 

Post Re: The Magazine Going Forward
I am somewhat bemused.
On a number of occasions in these posts, I have made it clear that I am NOT attacking or insulting or indeed doing anything negative to Marg.
Quite the opposite!
I am making it clear that her role as one of the editors is controlled by the publisher.
Unless the publisher changes his/her collective mind. Marg's chances for success are limited.

You seem to be saying, "Let's do nothing but cheer on the sidelines - with threats of refusing to buy the mag & watch the DVD.
I was arguing for support for Marg, bringing together some knowledgeable travellers to work with and support Marg as well as making a submission to the publisher to allow Marg more freedom to change what needs to be changed.

Who is '... setting up a committee?' NOT me! I looked to have a one-off get together, enjoying a couple of days together and making a planned suggestion of ways forward. No committee no horse or camels or bull droppings! Just productive suggestions for Marg (and if he/she would bother - the publisher/CEO) to join in with.

I find your 'stand aside & cheer - only' has little value.
Your efforts to denigrate my attempts leaves Marg battling alone as her potential supporters refuse to buy the product.
Can't you see the lapse in logic here????

Best of luck Marg! You are on your own...

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm
Profile WWW

She is not alone...................... :twisted:
glanyard

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:22 pm

I have been a subscriber of the Mag for 6 years, but not for much longer. The main reason for my declining interest, is to many boring articles like "Traveling with pets" & "Earn while you travel".

Firstly we don't travel with a pet & never intend to, so we NEVER read "Traveling with pets" and we don't work while we travel and never read that story. Both story's have been DONE TO DEATH in endless magazines......................please stop.

I get the destinct impression at C& M that they assume the majority of RVers travel with pets & earn while they travel. from my extensive experience traveling OZ, it's the exact opposite.So why cater for the minority ???

With Fred's DVDs, on the positive side. love his interviews with Free Campers. On the negative. he spends far to much time thinking of his stomach, so keep him out of coffee shops etc & ease back on those boring shops & winerys, if we have seen one winery we have seen them all.

Marg wishing you the best of luck.

Geoff & Bev
NP Pajero GLX Diesel Auto
07 Millard Horizon 17' Pop Top

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi All,
I think it is great that Marg has accepted this roll. It is always great to have someone who has come from the other side of the fence. Congratulations Marg and i will you all the best. I also enjoy the DVD's with Fred in them. I also enjoy what they have started with the info about free camping, places to visit, also i would like to see what is good to see in place not just another cafe etc.... I also enjoy travelling with pets. It is great to see that in the entire mag at least there is one page in there for us to see what to do, where we can travel etc...
Also, i am very interested to see something at the more younger person who travels. Not everyone on the road is retired (I oh i so wish and envy who has!!!!!!) so where at what is good for the not retired people? We too are on the road travelling.
Thanks
Paul

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Guys agree with everyone's input . It has definitely been thought provoking. We don't have to look at bringing Roothy and Gill back, but what the mag needs to do is look at what worked back then. It was chemistry. Real people, genuine camp style cooking, real camp spots, Roothy's projects. Everyone waited on the next issue to see what happened next. That person could be anyone of us doing that project. Genuine reviews on vehicles and vans. If you look at the sister Mag he is still in that one with his non standard 4x4. . It needs some one with those interpersonal skills to lift the Mag. Genuine people not with a person reading a written script. I think they are to scared to offend advertisers with a different review to what is given to them to write. Most of us have been to caravan shows to look at Vans/ vehicles after reading about them in the mag and have been very disappointed. What do they want advertisers for a mag that no one will buy or a mag that has the interest of readers and members that support them and continue to buy their product. So Marg you now have a challenge to look outside the square and and an even bigger challenge for your bosses to allow you to do this to take the magazine forward.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Hooray for Gordos!
Finally somebody got it!!!
He said, time "... for the bosses to let Marg " do what she has to do to bring RV'ers back to the mag and the DVD's.
My beef has never been about Marg. it was always aimed at the bosses who limit what an Editor is allowed to do ...
Finally!!!!!

ps. Marg, would you like some help?

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Staff

Hi all,

You can probably see from the posts in this thread alone that our readers have a range of wants and needs. You're right, Paul, when you say that not everyone is retired - and even if they are, they're still interested in what other travellers are doing. That has been the subject of some of our meetings.

Following that train of thought (the wide range of backgrounds and preferences of readers of C&M) this has led to the inclusion of segments like "Travelling with Pets". People with pets really appreciate a few pages spent on this topic. That having been said, we are monitoring all the different sections of the magazine to try to ensure that content remains fresh and relevant. The feedback I'm getting from this thread (and others) helps to do that.

Tom, thanks for your offer, but for the moment I'm getting what I need - the different perspectives and ideas from forum members; suggestions from the many readers with whom we've stayed in contact after meeting them on the road; more from RVers that others on the staff of C&M have met... there's a lot going on.

Cheers
Marg

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 am
Profile WWW

Best wishes Marg.
I am not a subscriber to the Mag, never have been but I would like to see the Forum return to its former glory.
I guess they go hand in hand.
For now I shall stay as a reader and watch progress with mild interest.
Take it easy.
SD :D

South East Coast Westoz

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:22 am

G'day all,
I rarely read the forum, I leave that to the missus, but I had to come on board after reading some of this stuff. I can't say what I feel so I'll keep it polite and positive, but straight. It's real good to see Marg and Rob back and while there are some good constructive comments here from some readers, i reckon there are a few old codgers out there with far too much time on their hands who need to give their tiresome gripes a bit of a break - lock up that paddock and give is a rest, fellas. Maybe you'all could exchange addresses and write to each other instead, so we don't have to listen to any more of your nitpicking at each other going over the same old stuff. You've said you bit so maybe move on. Gees, forming a complaints committee?? You can't be serious. You fellas need to get out a bit more. That's not what being part of this nomad community is about, mate.

We really like this mag - always have. We been touring for a few decades now but more so since we retired a few yeas back. I wish this mag was around when we first kicked off. There was nothing to help us get going, then. This time round, the profiles helped us alot in choosing the new van (who cares if they was written by the sellers - its the species we wanted. we can talk to people about what they think in every camp we go to, and we do). I like the tech articles to help me keep the old tug on the road, and the missus loves the pet and cooking stuff. We both fight over the mag for the travel stories and most of our decisions on where to head next are helped by them. It will be great to get some more detail, as you say, Marggie. We love them little quiet places and things to do that aren't in the brochures, so were looking forward to that. We need ideas on cheap places and things to do and love reading about the free camping places. Not into big parks, but we are happy to read about other people enjoying them. It's just a bit of balance.

And that reminds me about the other thing I want to say - to the fella what can complain about the pet pages - take a look in the last mag, mate! They took up two out of 250 odd pages! Gimme a break. That really cracked me up. If they wasn't there my missus would have a nervous breakdown. Each to his own. She doesn't read the tech stuff like me, I don't read about cooking. That's just the sign of a good mag, something for everyone. You don't have to like every single page for it to be a good read.

Anyways, good on you Marggie and Rob and all the Cand M people. Keep up the great work. If you weren't getting it right, you have gone bust long before now. Every business has staff turnover and ups and downs and if the whingers (all three of them) don't like it, they can pack their bags and get out. I want to hear from people with worthwile feedback, not that boring claptrap.

Sorry this is so long but I haven't bothered to say anything much before - missus does all the time. But I just had to wave my banner and say its a little ripper of a mag, and you only have to see it on nearly every lap in camp to know that the loudest complainers are always the tiniest minorety, as always.

I think I said my bit. See you in another two years, then.
Roy

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 am

Onya Roy, well said.
Don't wait so long to get involved next time. :D

2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next