The Magazine Going Forward

Tell us your thoughts on the C&M magazine
Marg McAlister
Staff

Re: The Magazine Going Forward

Post by Marg McAlister » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:09 am

Thanks Greg and Sue. BennyT, here is the content that should have been placed in the article:

WHERE TO STAY

1. Sulphur Creek Campground – Located on the north coast between Burnie and Penguin. Free sites, limited number, all unpowered. Toilets, picnic tables, water and bins available. GPS coordinates: -41.093828, 146.028115.

2. Penguin Caravan Park – Located at the main beach in central Penguin town. Cabins available as well as ample powered and unpowered sites. Normal facilities available. Also contains a licensed restaurant and playground. Approximately $25 per powered site. http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/acco … aravanpark

3. Derwent Bridge Hotel – Located in Derwent Bridge. Unpowered sites at front of hotel, bushwalkers cabins/dorms and hotel rooms available at a range of prices depending on season. http://www.derwentbridgewildernesshotel.com.au

4. Macquarie Heads Camping Ground – Located at the end of the gravel road from Strahan to Macquarie Heads, approximately 16km outside of Strahan. Site fees are $6 per person. Sites are unpowered but there is ample space for caravans and motorhomes, plus toilets, dumping points and a boat ramp. Visitors are advised to bring their own water. http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/accommodation then click on Macquarie Heads Camping Ground

5. Discovery Holiday Parks Cradle Mountain – Located at the entrance to the national park. Good dining and cooking facilities possessing fireplaces for cold weather travellers. Sites are costlier here, approximately $35 per vehicle at a powered site. Unpowered and powered sites are available. Cabins available. Also available are a kiosk, communal refrigerators and a laundry facility.

Cheers
Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer
Caravan & Motorhome on Tour

Tony48
An old hand

Post by Tony48 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:08 am

Well done Marg.
Stayed at Sulpher Creek, great spot.
Also stayed at a freeby close to Cradle Mountain. Will try and find it.
BTW, our National Park Pass got us into Cradle Mountain, although when we purchased it we were advised it would not.
:Df
Found it. Fossey Creek, on the A10 just South of the Waratah turnoff, Is about 40ks from Cradle Mountain. Very scenic drive.
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Marg McAlister
Staff

Post by Marg McAlister » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks for the extra info on National Parks and freebie near Cradle Mountain, Tony!

Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer

Tony48
An old hand

Post by Tony48 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:36 am

:D
Used an App called track my tour for our trip around Tassie. Found it a PITA at times, but now it is invaluable to retrieve info and relive the moments. Going to fire it up again soon when we head off to do the rest of Oz.
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

durko
Getting the hang of it

Post by durko » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:18 am

I’ve been trying to find an appropriate place to post this where Marg and Fred will see it. Maybe if this is the wrong spot, someone can move it.
Marg, your comments in the newsletter re camping ettickette is great. The trouble is that some people just don’t know. I am guilty of not moving my car when someone is trying to reverse into a site. I thought I would be insulting them by showing a lack of confidence in their driving skills.
As a suggestion could the Magazine pring a one page tear out of camping ettickette that we can post at campsites where there is a problem? How about a sticker on the back of our vans? There may be an opportunity for an advertiser to pay for this. Education is always the answer.
Fred, it’s great to see someone commenting on the National Parkes ripoff. How can we teach our children respect for the environment when we can’t afford to go there? National Parkes belong to all Australians, not just the rich and the Park Rangers!
Why do I mention Park Rangers? I aim my comments now at NSW in particular. This group treat the park as their own back yard. They resent intruders, take your money, and do nothing to educate the visitors. The high park fees are a direct result of these Rangers. Now Victoria is going the same way.
State national Parkes managers should look to Qld. And NT for inspiration. Why do you think so manny people go there? The Southern states have just as much to offer in the summer months yet only a small proportion of travellers go there compared to the north. It’s a case of being made to feel welcome or exploited.
Just a final political comment. If you have never spoken to you State or Federal member, if you have voted the same way all your life, then you have the Government you deserve!
Peter

Marg McAlister
Staff

Post by Marg McAlister » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:21 pm

durko wrote:I’ve been trying to find an appropriate place to post this where Marg and Fred will see it. Maybe if this is the wrong spot, someone can move it.
Marg, your comments in the newsletter re camping ettickette is great. The trouble is that some people just don’t know. I am guilty of not moving my car when someone is trying to reverse into a site. I thought I would be insulting them by showing a lack of confidence in their driving skills.
As a suggestion could the Magazine pring a one page tear out of camping ettickette that we can post at campsites where there is a problem? How about a sticker on the back of our vans? There may be an opportunity for an advertiser to pay for this. Education is always the answer.
Fred, it’s great to see someone commenting on the National Parkes ripoff. How can we teach our children respect for the environment when we can’t afford to go there? National Parkes belong to all Australians, not just the rich and the Park Rangers!
Why do I mention Park Rangers? I aim my comments now at NSW in particular. This group treat the park as their own back yard. They resent intruders, take your money, and do nothing to educate the visitors. The high park fees are a direct result of these Rangers. Now Victoria is going the same way.
State national Parkes managers should look to Qld. And NT for inspiration. Why do you think so manny people go there? The Southern states have just as much to offer in the summer months yet only a small proportion of travellers go there compared to the north. It’s a case of being made to feel welcome or exploited.
Just a final political comment. If you have never spoken to you State or Federal member, if you have voted the same way all your life, then you have the Government you deserve!
Peter
Hi Peter,

I’ll forward your comments to the rest of the team. Etiquette is something that concerns all of us, but unfortunately we’re pretty much preaching to the converted. I’m not sure that those who don’t care would take much notice of a sign at a campsite.
Fred is travelling in Tassie at present, but I’ll mention that you posted here as a response to him as well.

Meanwhile… all we can do is do the right thing ourselves (etiquette) and try to make our views on National Parks fees known.
Thanks for taking the time to post, Peter.

Marg :-)
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer

Motherhen
Cracked the big time

Post by Motherhen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi Durko, while this is Margaret’s thread, you cannot blame the park Rangers for government policies in National Parks in New South Wales and Victoria. Blame the government departments, but not those who have to administer it on the ground, and cop the flack from angry visitors. Please don’t blame the Rangers; it is not of their doing at all.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Motherhen wrote:Hi Durko, while this is Margaret’s thread, you cannot blame the park Rangers for government policies in National Parks in New South Wales and Victoria. Blame the government departments, but not those who have to administer it on the ground, and cop the flack from angry visitors. Please don’t blame the Rangers; it is not of their doing at all.
MH I agree with you in principal the rangers just administer the rules as prescribed by the department.
BUT there are some really crook rangers out there who obviously don’t know the rules or interpret them in their own fashion.
Ok I travel with a registered companion dog. In WA we had no trouble, sure if they saw the dog they would say sorry no dogs and when I show her pass they nearly salute, at Whiteman Park she even got to help drive the Tram… SA never had any problems. Victoria likewise, Qld its touch and go, she was not allowed to poop on the reef or even go schnorkeling… But the NSW NPAWS are just insane, I’ve had a ranger carry on no end because she was just in the car, others say that NSW does not recognise ACT certified dogs….

After a few terse emails to people I think the NPAWS has got the jist. I cant complain about NSW Park Fees as I have a pensioner pass, you can get it here; http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/pas … tion-cards
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Motherhen
Cracked the big time

Post by Motherhen » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Like police, you will always get a few that are different Trevor. I very am pleased to hear you had no trouble in Western Australia accessing parks with your registered companion dog.

The New South Wales pensioner exemption is only for residents of NSW, and it is the only state to given a full exemption. But it is also the only state to charge a daily entry fee, not just an entry fee so they are the most expensive for the rest of us. All states that have park entry fees do give a discount for Seniors Card/Pension Card/DVA Card.

This thread wen a long way from the future of the Magazine didn’t it? :lol:
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:40 am

Motherhen wrote:Like police, you will always get a few that are different Trevor. I very am pleased to hear you had no trouble in Western Australia accessing parks with your registered companion dog.

The New South Wales pensioner exemption is only for residents of NSW, and it is the only state to given a full exemption. But it is also the only state to charge a daily entry fee, not just an entry fee so they are the most expensive for the rest of us. All states that have park entry fees do give a discount for Seniors Card/Pension Card/DVA Card.

This thread wen a long way from the future of the Magazine didn’t it? :lol:
Yes M.H. We are meandering off the o.p. and also a long time between drinks. However, couldn’t help but comment that, I believe, it is no longer the case that Pensioner concessions in N.S.W. only applies to their own residents.

Jock :neutral:

Return to “Your Say”