The Magazine Going Forward

Tell us your thoughts on the C&M magazine
Marg McAlister
Staff

The Magazine Going Forward

Post by Marg McAlister » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:52 am

Hi All,

As some forum-ites have noticed, the magazine has already implemented some changes (a number of them as a result of your feedback on this forum, for which we thank you!)

We want to continue to bring you the kind of in-depth articles and useful information that you have asked for, and we always welcome your ideas and suggestions.

This new thread has been established for that purpose. I’ll make sure that all constructive suggestions are passed on to the editorial committee.

Thank you!

Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer
Caravan & Motorhome on Tour

gregnsue
Avid poster

Re: The Magazine Going Forward

Post by gregnsue » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:14 am

Some suggestions to start with

Feature some of the smaller caravan parks instead of Big 4. (Not everyone wants what the Big 4 offer)
Does the van park have an organised Happy Hour?
Does the van park permit pets e.g dogs on a leash.
Does it have drive thru sites – how many?

Comment on ablution blocks – old but very clean, need more attention to cleanliness etc
Make comments meaningful, after all restaurant reviews are in depth and cover both good and “bad” why not van park and rest area reviews and caravan reviews for that matter. Never see anything slightly detrimental to a van in all of your reviews. Have a look at car review write-ups

Are fires permitted in the van park in designated fire places?
Include more info on local tourist attractions and cut out lolly shops and cafes
What about a cooking segment from vanners?
What do you cook/prepare for happy hour?
What is your favourite meal on the road?
What improvements have you made to your van say under $2,000 ?

Safe travels
gregnsue

dnsoakeshott
An old hand

Post by dnsoakeshott » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:35 am

Greg and Sue…. nice. Enjoy the magazine but agree with Greg and Sue would rather see what the area has to offer than shops. Just a reference to them would be good i.e town has bakery, butcher, nice coffee shop etc.
A tech tips segment would be good on the DVD as well where we can see basic repairs happen.

Enjoyed you DVD’s Marg they were interesting from a womans’ point of view as well.

wish you the best with the new position. :razz:
Regards Dean

Dean and Sandy
Who cares, Just Do It
2014 WK Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk 3ltr TD
Jayco Sterling 23′ (23.72-1) 2009 with slideout

Tripping Away
An old hand

Post by Tripping Away » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:53 am

Marg McAlister wrote:Hi All,

As some forum-ites have noticed, the magazine has already implemented some changes (a number of them as a result of your feedback on this forum, for which we thank you!)

We want to continue to bring you the kind of in-depth articles and useful information that you have asked for, and we always welcome your ideas and suggestions.

This new thread has been established for that purpose. I’ll make sure that all constructive suggestions are passed on to the editorial committee.

Thank you!

Marg

Sounds really good Marg, Can you list what changes are proposed or at least some so we are not re-inventing the wheel as in lots of other threads on this issue, people have already made many constructive suggestions.
If the mag now whats some help or suggestions, then maybe it is also time for a two way street of dialog???
The last mag I bought about two months ago was wall to wall ads with stories of little depth and the DVD a bit on the sad side too between the ads. Won’t buy another unless something changes so this is your chance to advertise the changes and lure some of us back!

Best of Luck steering the ship Marg..

bluebus
An old hand

Post by bluebus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi.
Does that mean i can start buying it again i have not brought one for over two years i will stop there wate and see how far forward it goes. :o

Karen,Ron and the Girls. :razz:

Just coasting along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marg McAlister
Staff

Post by Marg McAlister » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I’m copying and pasting everything into a Word doc ready to summarise and discuss with the team. My answers to you may not appear for a day or two but I am working on them!

Tripping Away: a two-way dialogue is exactly what I’m aiming for here. And story depth is on our agenda every time we meet (and the subject of emails in between).

Dean and Sandy: See above re finding what the area has to offer… caravanners like yourselves are a great resource. The RV grapevine is hugely helpful for finding things that are different. Rob and I can go to a town and miss something that we hear about later that sounds fantastic. We all tend to go to the information centres first, but it’s when you start digging that you find the gold.

Greg and Sue: Lots of good points! I’ve forwarded them on already. I’ll respond to some myself and ask others on the team about some. Thanks for taking the time to jot these down.

Bluebus: What can I say but “I hope so!” :-)

Cheers
Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi Marg,
I am afraid that even though I have been a member with a sub for many years I have at present let it lapse.
For 11 months I received calls regularly and even though I requested them to stop phoning me for renewal, they just would not desist.
I mean they want renewals 11 months out, and just will not take no for an answer.
To me it amounted to bullying, and whatever I said they had an answer ready to overcome any objection.
Nuffs enough….. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Marg McAlister
Staff

Post by Marg McAlister » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 pm

I’ll pass this on too, dieseltojo. Annoying, I agree.

Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer

joe2006
An old hand

Post by joe2006 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Hello Marg,

Good luck in the new job.

My biggest gripe with the magazine is the “RV profiles”. Given that the manufacturers are required to supply the photographs and much of the content of the text, it should be made apparent to the reading public that these are not caravan reviews but comments made from information supplied by the manufacturer.

It is appreciated that “Caravan reviews” section had been re-named “RV profiles” several years ago however the comments made in the captions imply that the profiled RV’s were sighted by C & M.

I have enjoyed the “Industry Corner” section and renovation of Millie a while back. A more detailed series of stories about renovations would be appreciated, at least by me, despite not having a van to renovate. :oops:

It must be a difficult job producing 13 or so magazines a year and coming up with fresh content while trying to keep the readers interested, all the while achieving this with budgetary constraints.

Happy travels
Cheers Joe

2009 Evernew E900 & white car

It’s run in- A moment in the indeterminate future or past represented by a nanosecond of peak efficiency immediately succeeding the running in period and immediately preceding the running out period

bluebus
An old hand

Post by bluebus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi Marg.
Does that mean roofy and gill will be making a come back in the book and the dvd with there cooking and traveling tips lets hope so. :rolleyes:

Karen,Ron and the Girls. :razz:

Just coasting along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Your Say”