View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Travelling with disability 

Post Re: Travelling with disability
Hi Jeff and Kathy,
I have been a Diabetic since I was a teenager, now 64, plus a bad accident at work 10years ago, have left me on a Disability Pension and Christine (The Mermaid) as my Carer. I have only 20 degrees of central vision i.e. I can only see straight ahead, plus I walk with a cane very slowly. I had to hand in my licence, so this is why we bought a Hiace diesel Auto poptop, so Christine can drive it easily, as she didn't even want to contemplate towing anything. We love "Ruby" and have been all over, up and down the East Coast. We try and make sure there is a Disabled shower at the Parks we stay in, and have never had any probs with management at any parks
Enjoy your travels
Pete and The Mermaid

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 am

G’day ALL,

I’ve been reading the thread with a little interest, and I like some of the mods that have been done to vans and vehicles.

The following may be of interest to some.

So, being a Pensions Advocate for the RSL, I contacted Veterans’ Affairs today and asked one major question.

This was the question; Quote“If a person’s home is there caravan/motorhome etc... which they travel/live in permanently, are they entitled to make application for the Home Modifications Programme?” End Quote:

The answer was; Quote: “Yes, it has been done before for caravans and, it would as per any home, it would be done on a case by case basis.” End quote:

Now, the van/motorhome etc. would obviously be the only home you have, so therefore if you are in receipt of a veterans’ affairs pension and would like to see if you are eligible then;

Open the link below, and go to the left side of the page and “Click” on “KeyWord” it will open the Keyword Index, then

Go to the top of the page and "Click" on “H” then

Scroll down to Home Modifications and "Click" on this to open the Fact sheets, and
The one you are after is:
DVA Factsheet HSV105 The PDF version.
Rehabilitation Appliances Program Information for veterans about Home Modifications and Household Adaptive Appliances

http://factsheets.dva.gov.au/factsheets/

If the above doesn’t work for you here is a small amount of info from the fact sheet that may be of use.

Overview
This Factsheet describes the circumstances under which the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) will pay for home modifications and household adaptive appliances if you have a clinical need.

What is the objective of the Home Modifications Program?
The objective of the home modifications program is to assist you to remain in your home with:
• enhanced independence and safety;
• reduce dependency on carer(s);
• reduced likelihood of having to move residence and consequent dislocation from family, friends and community; and
• reduced risk of falls.
An example of a home modification is the replacement of a bath with a hobless shower to allow safe, independent showering.
Many modifications are available that address safety and access in the home. These include:
• internal and /or external rails; and/or
• a ramp to access your home.

Who is eligible?
If you have a Repatriation Health Card – For All Conditions (Gold Card) you may be eligible for home modifications, where there is a clinical need.

A White Card is also issued to ex-service personnel who are eligible for treatment under agreements between the Australian Government and New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and the United Kingdom for disabilities accepted as war-caused by their country of origin.

How do I get access to this service?
Your doctor will refer you to an occupational therapist if you require home modifications or adaptive appliances. The occupational therapist will:
• assess your clinical needs;
• provide you with information on alternatives available; and
• make recommendations to DVA.
You will be advised if the recommended modifications meet DVA’s guidelines and whether DVA will pay for the modifications.

What standards must modifications meet?
Any home modification must meet:
• local council regulations for buildings in that area; and
• applicable Australian standards for home modifications.

Cheers,

PeterM.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Peter,

Good stuff.

Great to have you hanging about the shop.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Mitrebin wrote:
Hi Jeff and Kathy,
I have been a Diabetic since I was a teenager, now 64, plus a bad accident at work 10years ago, have left me on a Disability Pension and Christine (The Mermaid) as my Carer. I have only 20 degrees of central vision i.e. I can only see straight ahead, plus I walk with a cane very slowly. I had to hand in my licence, so this is why we bought a Hiace diesel Auto poptop, so Christine can drive it easily, as she didn't even want to contemplate towing anything. We love "Ruby" and have been all over, up and down the East Coast. We try and make sure there is a Disabled shower at the Parks we stay in, and have never had any probs with management at any parks
Enjoy your travels
Pete and The Mermaid

Hi Pete & Mermaid, great to hear that you can get away in Ruby. We always tried to get as close as possible to the shower block for Cathy when we had a camper trailer. We now have a 21' supreme with an ensuite which cathy finds alot better, but I know a large van isn't for everyone. By the way Pete, Cathy calls the van 'Gertie'....sadly!

Cheers,

Jeff :mrgreen:

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:50 pm

[quote="Jeff&Cathy] Hi Pete & Mermaid, great to hear that you can get away in Ruby. We always tried to get as close as possible to the shower block for Cathy when we had a camper trailer. We now have a 21' supreme with an ensuite which cathy finds alot better, but I know a large van isn't for everyone. By the way Pete, Cathy calls the van 'Gertie'....sadly!

Cheers,

Jeff :mrgreen:[/quote]
Hi Jeff, "Ruby" is an obvious one. We bought her for our 40th Wedding Anniv to each other. I bought her the van, and Christine bought me the fitout.
Yes, we always ask for a spot "near the Amenities", although usually, one look at me and the staff tend to offer it without prompting - LOL.
So If you see a Hiace with "RUBY" in red letters on the right rear, give us a toot.
We're off west late April (when the kids go back) definitely Pt Augusta, and maybe on to WA
Safe Travels
Pete and The Mermaid ('cos she swims every morning!)

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 am

I travelled for a year in our caravan with my wife before she died in November last year.
She suffered from bone cancer and was confined to a wheel chair, I had to lift her in and out of the car and van and also put her to bed etc. We had no aids or special equipment.
We did not modify our van at all and we managed to cope quite well in a standard van and Mitsubishi sedan.
We always tried to stay in van parks with disabled facilities as without them it was a bit of an inconvenience for us. We managed to cope pretty well but only did short trips because of the need for frequent hospital visits.
The only real problem we had were van parks which advertised disabled facilities and did not really have them, ie no separate shower or toilet facilities or those that had disabled facilities which were not adequate, ie could not get the wheelchair through the door etc.
We had a lot of fun and she lived her life to the fullest while she could, she never complained and she was a great companion.
I wish you well on your travels

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 am

This thread is an inspiration for me. I was born with a spinal problem, which was not a problem in my younger years. I worked hard (mostly our own businesses), played hard, motorbikes, sailing, flying, hockey, etc, until the health problems started around 35 years of age. My health deteriorated dramatically (osteo arthritis, cancer, heart, broken hip, etc, and eventually, pain and years of doodoo medication brought on severe depression and regretably i made a bad choice and tried to end the suffering permanently. Thankfully, my ever loving wife of 39 years found me before it was too late and i am still here. A new doctor (female) has changed my medication and my life and reading these posts shows me that there are plenty of people far worse off than me who are still enjoying their own life to the max. Thanks people, keep safe and keep on living the dream.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:50 pm

petegaerte,
Yes I'd be lost without my girl, I almost left her for "greener pastures" when I was in my stupid 40's. But she stuck by me and now we tell each other "I love you" often, every day

Pete and The Mermaid

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi guys,
What a great idea for a discussion, I have enjoyed reading the posts.

My partner Jules and I are both on disability as she has full blown Rheumatoid Arthritis which greatly affects her ability to walk far and we can't spend too long on the road as she tires easily as the pain sets in. I on the other hand have 3 kinds of Arthritis; In my back I have Ankylosing Spondilitis, I also have Spondiliting Arthritis and Osteo of a person 30 years older than I (currently 45). I have a degenerative disease eating my lower spine away and collapsed vertebrae in my neck (C5 & C6) which is traping a nerve which controls feelings and most functions in my right arm. The neck problem will be fixed by surgery if they ever get me in (2 years waiting now). :neutral: The back & neck injuries were caused by a forklift falling on top of me, doctors say I'm lucky to be alive let alone still able to walk (as going by my CT and MRI scans I shouldn't be able to walk, but I do).

We have been on the road for 1 year come April 1st and the main thing I've learnt is not to rush. We take our time packing up or setting up. We usually spend a minimum of 3 days at a stop over as I am usually knackered after a set-up. And when driving, we usually only plan to travel up to 4 hours at the most stopping every 2 hours for a rest or a cuppa.

There are many items out there to make life easier such as a hydraulic jockey to lift your van on and off the Tug, the cheapest I found was about $170 but the average is over $200 but well worth it. As for the fold out steps, after breaking 2 we now have a portable plastic step at the door which works well.

Generally I find most things fairly easy with our travels and when the pain sets in a good rest usually helps. The arthritis plays up when it rains, so that has been playing up for a while now, :lol:

Good luck with the CTP insurance claim but patience is required as they take a while. Another avenue you could look into is your super as I had to as the company responsible after the forklift accident could afford better lawyers than I could. If you or your partner have a superannuation fund, then it should have a death & disability insurance cover with it. I put a claim in for disabilty Insurance and got a hefty payout which allows us to travel this great country. We travel as our disability Pension allows us to, but it is nice to have a little tucked away too.

All the best, safe and happy travels, and see you on the road one day. And thanks for letting me post this comment today.

Cheers
Dave

P.S; I also have a permanently broken Pelvis and Hip, but no complaints. I laugh a lot and as we know, laughter cures most ailments.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Samoman and others,

And here I was whinging about my aching knees an hour or so ago.

I guess I have nothing to whine about whilst my knees are still capable of freighting my ass about the countryside.

'Onya people, you are to be admired for your 'get on' with life attitude.

Take it easy.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next