View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Travelling with disability 

Post Re: Travelling with disability
Jeff and Cathy,

Just wondering if you could give me the details of the type/name etc of the gel cushion that you use, Cathy. I need to use a cushion when sitting for long periods. I currently use a ROHO air cell cushion the same as used by some folks in wheelchairs for at home and at work. I need something a little less bulky for use in the car.

Thanks
Bassett

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
But how to dance in the rain.'

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi Bassett, thanks for the reply. Left accelerator pedal, great idea!

Cathy has been certified to drive and gets reassessed in three years. I appreciate your comments though, you make a good point.

Cathy's cushion is a brand called Oppo. Check out the link below.
She used to sit on a round cushion, in the tug and our car, but it allowed her hips to roll excessively from side to side causing a fair bit of pain. This cushion is heaps better, it doesn't roll and she can sit on it for long periods of time. It's heavier than you would expect a cushion to be. I guess it's the gel component inside. They are fairly expensive though. I think we paid around $80.00 - $90.00 for it.

http://www.oppomedical.com/Search/Searc ... by=cushion

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Jeff

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks Jeff, I will have a look at that cushion. It appears to be one that will do the job for me.

Regards
Bassett

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi my wife and myself intend to caravan with a large van later this year. I had a stroke 18 months ago and walk short distance but use a w/chair or a fold up gopher we are so looking forward to the house selling and purchasing our van and heading off. The choice of a van has been difficult as we have had to try differnt models to fing one that I can cope with. But our motto is u only live once and make the most of it.
Bronwyn & Terry

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:39 am

Good on you Terry, I hope you and Bronwyn have a great journey. We have learned to pace ourselves especially if Cathy isn't having a good day. All the best and enjoy the excitement of purchasing a van.

Cheers & blessings,

Jeff

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop
bigmac wrote:
Hi my wife and myself intend to caravan with a large van later this year. I had a stroke 18 months ago and walk short distance but use a w/chair or a fold up gopher we are so looking forward to the house selling and purchasing our van and heading off. The choice of a van has been difficult as we have had to try differnt models to fing one that I can cope with. But our motto is u only live once and make the most of it.
Bronwyn & Terry

There is a van especially made for wheelchair bound people, The magasine has done a couple of reviews on them, and the person in the chair can even set the whole lot up themselves, worth looking at.
Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi again,
I have a book called Easy Access Australia written by Bruce M. Cameron, I have had it for many years (since the old tent days). The author is disabled himself. It is done state by state and covers everything from getting the to hiring medical equipment and caravan parks with disabled facilities. Mine is a 1st edition 1995 I dont know if it has been updated but I did find it helpful when startingout. If you are interested it might be worth a look. Sorry but I dont know if it is still available or even where you could get a copy.

94 Superlite Wheelchair

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:09 am

Our situation is similiar to what others have been descibing, MVA in May 77 resulted in a hind quarter leg amputation to Sue. 20 yrs on crutchers took there toll on arms, shoulders and back so now full time wheelchair use. The vans mentioned by Frank and Brenda are from Accessavan and where made by Designer Vans in Wangaratta vic [only 40ks from us]. We had Designer make use a wheelie van with lowering air bag suspension, wheelie ramp and wheel-in shower/toilet, works a treat, very happy with our lay-out.

Pete and Sue
Attachment:
009 (2).JPG [243.46 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment:
007 (2).JPG [427.6 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment:
097.JPG [240.08 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Everyone
I Have been placed on the disability pension aged (26) due to a 30 foot fall crushing my left heel breaking my right foot and part spine compression and ripped my right hip socket and even tho its been 6 years i to cant walk long distance or stand for to long in the one spot but since we are traveling I cant get my much needed pain patch as you can only have 1 doctor approval only and 1 month supply .So night time is the worst as i cant sleep at all as I shake all night and sort of pass out due to being over tired by early morning.One thing Ive learned if you don't look after your body nothing else matters.I am now glad that my 10 year old son lives with me & does home schooling as without him i don't think i would cope.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:13 am
Profile YIM

G'day All,
My wife and I recently returned from our first big caravan trip. Just over 15 weeks travelling down as far as Ballarat Vic. We found it difficult at times to find a caravan park that had separate shower facilities for us disabled folks :shock: and this had a bearing on the route we took. I did all of the driving but we only ever travelled a maximum of around 200klms and stayed at least 2 nights at each stop.
We had a great time. :D

Regards
Bassett

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next