View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Travelling with disability 

Post Travelling with disability
Hi all, thought I'd open up a discussion on travelling with disability of all kinds.

It's easy to feel that the limitations we experience bring a sense of isolation (and this can be very true), so I'd like those of us who are disabled or have disabled partners, to chat, swap ideas, encourage each other and compare gadgets.

To share our story, my wife Cathy and I were involved in a rear end collision, we were the stationary front car at an intersection and were struck from behind. I was sitting bolt upright behind the wheel and was ok, however cathy was sitting on a funny angle with her shoulders and back twisted (facing me) chatting with me as we were struck. Hence her spinal injuries were incurred.

After much treatment and nightmares dealing with CTP insurance her recovery has stabilised. She can walk but only fairly short distances, 30 - 50 metres on a good day but with quite a bit of pain. So we travel with a wheelchair in the back of the Navara ute (with canopy) and also a small gopher which pulls apart and takes less than one minute to assemble. The heaviest component is the section containing the motor and rear wheels, this bit weighs about 17 Kgs.

While travelling in the tug Cathy sits on a gel cushion with one for her back as well. This does her fairly well.

On the van we have a foldout step which helps reduce the height for her to step up and we have a foldout handrail outside the entry door, one inside the entry door on the wall and one in the shower. The handle in the shower is a suction mount handle with lever locks on the suction cups. It's really strong, I had the caravan rocking when testing the suction by trying to pull it off the shower wall.

All in all we do ok on the road, we just take more time to do most things and some sight seeing destinations we can't get to, but that's ok.

I'd really like to hear other people's stories, and about how you get on travelling.

Hope we can swap ideas, and look on the funny side of things too!

let's give this thread a good run,

cheers and blessings,
Jeff

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:17 am

Post Re: Travelling with disability
Hi all again, I tried to include some photos but couldn't get them to appear, I might need some advice on how to do this,

Cheers,
Jeff

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 am

Hi Jeff and Kathy,
Scroll down to Upload Attatchment, click on Browse, select Pic., click on Add the File, and when uploaded, [if the size is right] click on Place inline, then submit.

Cheers,
xina.
Attachment:
100_0076.jpg
100_0076.jpg [ 25.09 KiB | Viewed 441 times ]

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi Jeff and Cathy,
Great idea.
My wife and I will be embarking on our first caravanning adventure a little later this year.
I was involved in a motorcycle accident over 4 years ago and I am still waiting for the CTP insurance claim (also a nightmare for us) to be finalized. I need to use two walking sticks to be able to walk (with pain) as I have major injuries to my right hip/pelvis, right ankle, right knee and some nerve damage.

I would also be interested to hear from other people in this type of situation who have done a lot of travelling and can pass on any tips and ideas that can help all of us.

Regards
Bassett

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
But how to dance in the rain.'

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi Bassett, thanks for your reply, firstly I'd just like to encourage you to hang in there with your CTP process, in our experience we were encourage by others to just keep going and you'll get there. I'm sure you have had plenty of advice from friends and others who are trying to help but really have no idea what you're really going through. I know it's hard to not get short with these people.

I guess in our case we just travelled and bit by bit we learned what Cathy could and couldn't do, how far she could travel in one day and how the weather treated her also. She too copes with high levels of pain and has medication in the form of patches similar to nicotine type of patches.

I am very blessed to have Cathy as my wife, one of her best assests is her smile (her grit and determination to not let her circumstances decide what sort of day she is having). She seems to attract people to her wherever we go, perhaps that's also our little dog that rides on her gopher.

Keep travelling and see how you go.

Cheers and blessings, Jeff

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Paul and I have ben a Quadrapledgic since a swimming accident when I was 15 I am Now 51. I have had my van for just over 5 years now(did the tents and camper tailer before that). My greatest accessory is my wife Mary. Even though I do the driving and try to help with the setup and packup of the site she does most of the work. Our van has not had any mods done to it, although I am confined to a wheelchair I am lucky enough to be able to stand an take a few steps with Marys help. I have never let my disability stop me I do what I want when I want (I'm a bit pigheaded) Life is for living. In this great caravaning community we are part of there is always someone willing to give a hand so get out and have fun. Thank everyone who has helped Mary and myself and will help us.
Paul

94 Superlite Wheelchair

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks Jeff.

We have learnt to be very patient when it comes to Insurance companies.

Jeff, as you are a great support to your wife, my wife is a great support to me and helps to keep me motivated and determined to get out there and enjoy life no matter what the obstacle. If you try, sometimes you surprise yourself as to what you can achieve.

We are certainly looking forward to getting out there and enjoying ourselves.

Paul (Wandering Wheelie), great to hear that you and your wife are having a great time caravanning.

Regards
Bassett

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Wanderin' Wheelie wrote:
Hi everyone,
My name is Paul and I have ben a Quadrapledgic since a swimming accident when I was 15 I am Now 51. I have had my van for just over 5 years now(did the tents and camper tailer before that). My greatest accessory is my wife Mary. Even though I do the driving and try to help with the setup and packup of the site she does most of the work. Our van has not had any mods done to it, although I am confined to a wheelchair I am lucky enough to be able to stand an take a few steps with Marys help. I have never let my disability stop me I do what I want when I want (I'm a bit pigheaded) Life is for living. In this great caravaning community we are part of there is always someone willing to give a hand so get out and have fun. Thank everyone who has helped Mary and myself and will help us.
Paul

Hi Paul, you've hit the nail on the head with your comment, "Life is for living", couldn't have said it better! I have been a Funeral director for 10 years now and often hear people say to me " I've always wanted to do this or that, but it's too late now that the doctor has given me a few months to live".

Not to be morbid but I've learned to "just do what you'd love to do and do it while you can". By the way, I absolutely love my job and can't see myself wanting to change careers in a hurry.

Good on you paul,
Cheers and blessings,
Jeff

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Bassett wrote:
Hi Jeff and Cathy,
Great idea.
My wife and I will be embarking on our first caravanning adventure a little later this year.
I was involved in a motorcycle accident over 4 years ago and I am still waiting for the CTP insurance claim (also a nightmare for us) to be finalized. I need to use two walking sticks to be able to walk (with pain) as I have major injuries to my right hip/pelvis, right ankle, right knee and some nerve damage.

I would also be interested to hear from other people in this type of situation who have done a lot of travelling and can pass on any tips and ideas that can help all of us.

Regards
Bassett

Hi Bassett,

I understand that the injuries you have described are quite painful especially when travelling in a vehicle and feeling every bump in the road.

This may not work for you, because I know people's injuries can be very very different, but Cathy was feeling all the bumps in the road in our D22 Navara, so we tried installing airbag suspension in the rear leaf springs and this really helped soften the ride for her. It also helps with the levelling of the rig.

She still feels the bumps but now they are more tolerable.

Our tug is a manual so I do the driving while touring but at home Cathy can drive our auto trans commodore. She also has injuries to her right ankle and has very little movement and a trapped nerve which makes it painful to move. She uses her right foot to operate the accelerator and her left foot to operate the brake. This way she doesn't need to move her right leg at all (sideways from pedal to pedal). It took a little while for her to get used to it but now its just natural for her.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Jeff

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi Jeff,

I drive a modified automatic. It is fitted with a Fujicon left foot accelerator (see attached photo). The piece in front of the normal accelerator is fixed to stop you from accidently resting your right foot on it.
It did not take long to get used to it. Had to have a few lessons from an instructor (legal requirement) but got the idea quite quickly. The device can be put on and taken off in a couple of seconds once it is properly installed. I love it. It gives me independence.

With Cathy driving as she does, I am concerned about her legal/insurance implications if she is involved in an accident (Heaven forbid that should happen) but I think you should probably get some advice as I was advised not to drive in that fashion as I could leave myself open to problems.

Regards
Bassett

Attachments:
LEFT FOOT ACCEL.jpg
LEFT FOOT ACCEL.jpg [ 116.12 KiB | Viewed 351 times ]

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next