View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
 ladies comments for new travellers 

Post Re: ladies comments for new travellers
Hi Chappy

I went to one of the cheap shops armed with my cupboard measurements and purchased some plastic containers. This, in conjunction with the non slip matting, seems to have alleviated the problem of things wandering around in the cupboard.

I do have the cups on a rack attached to the inside of one of the cupboards. The racks look like miniature shoe racks and are available from most caravan accessory places. Worth every cent you pay.

2009 Ford Territory AWD,
2003 Compass Tandem full height
via Kempsey, NSW

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Why not fill spaces with Pillow-cases, cushions or Towels ? Or get some small baskets to sit things in ?

Cheers,
xina.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Re the cupboard issue, I have two small cushions which are placed in the dinnerware cupboard which hold everything in place and no problems. No matter how bad the road has been, nothing has moved and/or broken. My food cupboards have the non-slip matting plus long plastic containers which divide the cupboards and hold spices, etc. and stop things moving.

On another point - cleaning out the caravan after our winter travels, and re-assessing clothes therein - I have an overnight bag (sml) which contains a new set of pj's plus robe, plus towelling slippers plus toilet bag with new toothbrush etc., which I set up in case of an emergency. I am conscious that at home I tend to sleep in the over-sized T-shirt and trews but thought that I should have something decent just in case, plus knowing that my husband could find what is needed quickly. I guess this relates back to my mother's dictum of never having a safety pin in your underwear - remember the running over by the proverbial bus.

Cheers - Ngaire

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:06 am

Chappy wrote:
Hi Ladies.. A bit of advice please
I find that some of the stuff in my cupboards (food, cups, etc) has fallen over by the time I get to camp.. Chappy

I use the cushions from the dinette in the cupboards where the plates, cups, glasses etc are kept. Just pop them into the cupboards before departure and all is still in place on arrival.

Food etc.....I put the heavy stuff on the bottom and lay all else out as flat as possible if my cupboards are not full. Alternatively, fill one cupboard first before moving on to the next one and then nothing will move about.

It won't matter if you have a few empty cupboards.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:40 pm

hi in the avan erin we had everything and I mean everything used to go walkies in the cupboard didnt matter what I did

but in the new van we have now not a thing moves ,my dinner plates are in a drawer ,my coffee mugs are in the over head cupboard
food etc stays exactly where its put
the only thing I did was to get rid of that cheap grippy shelf stuff and then bought some really good non slip matting and woola nothing moves at all '
I bought mine from big w

its great now as nothing moves

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi Everyone,
Hope you have all had some great holidays during Christmas and New Year and back to work!!!
I have never stopped, somone has to keep Australia rolling, but my turn at the end of the month, Can't wait.
I have been reading this thread for several days and hours +++ and have found an interesting lot of info. I don't worry about nails, hair colour, just be me. Grey hair or not, a hat over the head in the heat of the day, or a beanie in the cold, nobody knows what your hair is supposed to be or is. Nails wasn't covered in the Girld Guide curriculum for "Being Prepared", so I don't.
Love the advise on packing, travelling and what you need. As I only tent at the moment, I don't have to pack in cupboards, wardrobes etc., but hopefully will get an RV in the next couple of years after checking them out for the last 3-4 years.
Dreams, dreams, dreams. Don't guess I'll win a Winnegabo, as I don't buy tickets, so will have to buy something.
I thought I would get you back on track with a couple of easy recipes.

Buy a packet of Instant Pudding of your favourite flavour, instead of putting all milk in the mix, put a 300gm carton of Cream and the rest with milk and mix as directed. I someitmes put sliced bananas in the mix with either all milk or the cream and milk mixture. Sprinkle coconut on top. The creamed mixture makes it more solid and creamier. I have also placed Arnotts Lace Biscuits on bottom and top of slice tin with the creamed Instant Pudding in between.

If you haven't much in the sweets department but have bread and jam, spread jam on one piece of bread, top it with another piece and cut the bread sandwich in half. Dip the "sandwich" into a thin batter, drain slightly and gently cook in frypan on both sides in butter. A good Girl Guide camp taste for the younger people as they can do their own, under supervision of course.

Bananas can be cooked in their skin with a slice in the curve of the skin and piece of chocolate pushed into the banana and can be cooked in the coals of an open fire. Also can be placed in alfoil, peeled and done the same way with chocolate and brown sugar sprinkled over it.

Happy camping
Faye

Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi Faye, thanks for the cooking tips.
Look forward to meeting you on the road.
Sue

be yourself cos everyone else is taken

on on

Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi girls,

we leave for the big one around oz in 5 weeks we plan on travelling were ever and when ever for about 12 months. I love the idea of a ladies thread to get ideas....i have been working fulltime for 17 years and finished up friday so now l have the time l need to find some interest while on the road. Hairdresser tip is a good one,,,,l will look out for the retired hairdressers....see you on the road. Cheers Wendy :razz:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Location: Shellharbour, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!
wh1954 wrote:
Hi girls, we leave for the big one around oz in 5 weeks we plan on travelling were ever and when ever for about 12 months. I love the idea of a ladies thread to get ideas....i have been working fulltime for 17 years and finished up friday so now l have the time l need to find some interest while on the road. Hairdresser tip is a good one,,,,l will look out for the retired hairdressers....see you on the road. Cheers Wendy :razz:

Only 5 weeks!!! How fantastic. You'll have a great time.
What interests do you have while you're at home? Anything that can adapt to caravan life?

Marg :-)

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:04 pm

ashnwendy wrote:
Here's a fabulous Salad Dressing, which is simple to make and delicious.

Wendy's Poppy Seed Dressing
5 minutes and it's done
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup white Vinegar
1 teasp salt
1 teasp ground dried Mustard
1 teasp grated Onion
1 cup Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Poppy Seeds
In a blender or food processor on high, combine all but the seeds and oil, for 20 seconds. I use my stick blender.
Gradually add oil on slow then stir in Poppy Seeds.

Poppy Seeds can be omitted due to them getting under your plate :mrgreen:

Cheers Wendy

Hi Wendy

Does this keep for any length of time refridgerated?

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34