View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Making a pole carrier 

For the pipes carrying my rods I also line the interior with carpet. Both ends have carpet on the inside of the lid and some bubble warp pushed in to stop the rods getting damaged by hitting the lids. So far no worries and that includes fly rods. Bit messy getting the carpet in and glueing but not too bad.
Rgds
Tigertas

Sat May 01, 2010 10:41 pm

G'day all

Bought one of these for a pole carrier for the rear of the van together with the cap retention lanyard. ($79.95 + $13.95 + postage)
http://www.adilockablecap.com.au/

Wanted a 150mm pole carrier so also bought a length of PVC piping at 2100 and an end cap from the local plumbing store for $50.00. The security cap adds a bit of length. Glue and prep came with the locking cap but had some in the garage too. Got some brackets from CaravansPlus and for about $200 including postage made a secure pole carrier.

The carrier now contains 2 x anti-flap bars (complete), 2 x roof rafters and 2 x annex poles - snug fit. Overall the carrier remains within the extremeties of the bumper bar which is also within the width of the caravan

Hardest part/s - finding some PVC piping that wasn't scratched and presentable enough for the van - ended up using some cut and polish compound with the selected piece to bring up to standard. Difficult mounting on own and maintaining the equal distance from either side of the van whilst twisting the carrier in the brackets and trying not to scratch the pipe on the metal - and keep from rubbing on the back of the van. Careful with the glue, its blue and stains everything it touches - including the pvc pipe. Careful with the pipe too, it scratches easily if not careful.

Pole carrier is waterproof, dustproof and fills in some space between the bumper bar and van. A good Saturday morning project.

regards

Nice job . Love your work . Please forgive me but I must say that plumbing retailer saw you coming with the end cap price . I was lucky when I did mine I hunted around a highrise building site where they use the larger dia pipe and they had thrown out a number of pipe lengths wider than the van (those apprentices always cut things short ) One screw on end cap and a fixed one came from Bunnings at $25.00, which I considered a bit rich for what it is, the support brackets I made to suit The lanyard was a self design from game fishing flex wire and a couple of crimps and a stainless nut and bolt through the screw cap. Regardless of cost so long as it does the job all's well. Word of advice don't paint it, not worth the effort or time

Mon May 03, 2010 11:35 pm

I painted my pole carriers - the main reason was that in 150mm diameter I had white pipe with heaps of manufacturers markings, and grey ends and I didn't want to leave it like that.

Started with a light sanding of the PVC.

I used Acetone as an etch primer.

Sprayed the pipe and ends with 2 coats of white acrylic with a spray gun.

Far more time was spent waiting for it to dry than actual painting time.

Cheers

Mike

Tue May 04, 2010 12:04 am

Post Lost mine
We bought a pole carrier from Camec in Brisbane and attached it to the underside of the rear bumper bar on our Windsor Statesman. It held all the poles for our annexe, 4 poles for the off side shade and an extention handle for our sabco cleaning brush. Unfortunately one of the bracket broke somewhere between Charlieville and Longreach and we lost the lot. Replacing them was a very difficult and expensive exercise.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:03 pm

The solvent cement comes in "clear" as well as "blue". Use the clear if you want a tidy job.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:54 pm

I made mine from PVC pipe (Bunnings $38) End caps (Bunnings $22) I already had the PVC cement, the brackets came from a local plumbers ($11) I don't have a lock on mine, I figure that if any thief is going to steal a couple of galv poles, and is too bloody miserable to buy his own, then he is welcome to them. That is, of course, that he is fortunate enough to do the job without me seeing him. Then it's a different story.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3