View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Making a pole carrier 

Post Making a pole carrier
G'day all

Bought one of these for a pole carrier for the rear of the van together with the cap retention lanyard. ($79.95 + $13.95 + postage)
http://www.adilockablecap.com.au/

Wanted a 150mm pole carrier so also bought a length of PVC piping at 2100 and an end cap from the local plumbing store for $50.00. The security cap adds a bit of length. Glue and prep came with the locking cap but had some in the garage too. Got some brackets from CaravansPlus and for about $200 including postage made a secure pole carrier.

The carrier now contains 2 x anti-flap bars (complete), 2 x roof rafters and 2 x annex poles - snug fit. Overall the carrier remains within the extremeties of the bumper bar which is also within the width of the caravan

Hardest part/s - finding some PVC piping that wasn't scratched and presentable enough for the van - ended up using some cut and polish compound with the selected piece to bring up to standard. Difficult mounting on own and maintaining the equal distance from either side of the van whilst twisting the carrier in the brackets and trying not to scratch the pipe on the metal - and keep from rubbing on the back of the van. Careful with the glue, its blue and stains everything it touches - including the pvc pipe. Careful with the pipe too, it scratches easily if not careful.

Pole carrier is waterproof, dustproof and fills in some space between the bumper bar and van. A good Saturday morning project.

regards

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:12 pm

With a bit of prep work, that stuff can be painted with Solar Guard and the like.
They look a little less 'industrial' with some colour on 'em.

;)
The Signs & Decal Caravan
http://forum.candm.com.au/album.php?albumid=16

Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Before considering painting PVC pipe, I would suggest an application of an etch primer (comes in a spray can which is the easiest way to apply) - otherwise the paint won't adhere as well to the smooth surface of the PVC.

That's how I prepared and painted mine and it still looks good.

Cheers.

Mike

Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Post Storage Pipe/Pole Carrier
Pole carriers can also be purchased with two lockable ends from any Jayco dealers parts shop (called toy shops). They are complete with brackets, straps,pipe and bolts etc, would fit any make, details are;

15cm diam pipe x 203cm long approx (6" Diam x 6'6" long approx)........Price $105.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:50 am

I've seen them at Camec too - 150mm diameter with 2 lengths 1985mm and 2185mm.

Not sure on the price though - I've always made my own to get the custom length I wanted.

I have two running lengthwise under the van (to the side of the water tanks) for fishing rods and annex poles.

The one advantage I see in making your own is things inside don't slide backwards and forwards if the pole carrier is made based on the length of the items you want to carry in it.

Cheers.

Mike

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am

Nothing beats making your own. Tinker tinker tinker i say:O)

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Even in the west they were only $110 fully made up but brackets were $20 each extra.

754 Princeton & Cruiser 100ser TD

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 pm

I too, like many of you, have made my own. I gave mine a couple of good coats of UV paint, however as stated by Mike H, you do need to etch or prime these tubes before painting... I used 'Grip Lock Primer' underneath the UV paint. The end result is that it probably cost a bit more than a ready made one (considering the cost of the primer and UV paint), but I know it is water proof, solid and will last as long as the van.
Before and after shots attached...
Cheers
Greg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Even in the west they were only $110 fully made up but brackets were $20 each extra.

The one I quoted and size was complete for $105 (included brackets) from Caravanland in Maddington. They did have the longer ones also but can't recall the price and I understand they don't have them anymore.

The straps and brackets are adjustable and pipe could be cut down if you wanted it smaller. Making your own is great too, but could work out dearer.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:10 pm

The expensive part of my carrier was the locking end pipe which I really wanted. Simple alternative would be to do what Lakers has done with a screw on end then a hasp with lock - good job too.

The only ones I've seen for sale have had the galvo end caps - dust and water worry me with these. I could have bought one of these locally for $115.00. You pay for what you get.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next