View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Making a pole carrier 

Post End Caps
The end caps on the one I described are PVC with a hole going through the edge of the cap and though pipe on either side. A long bolt feeds through the hole on the cap and the pipe and has a small cap on one end and a padock hole on the other through which you lock on a padlock. This is repeated on the other end of the pipe for another padlock, so both ends are lockable. You can just see the padlocks hanging below each end cap in the attachment.

I just sold mine recently as I no longer needed it. It worked really well and was good value, happy with what I paid for it and happy with the product.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Hubby just made his own locking cap and installed it today on the pole carrier. Cost of lock setup was $10.
He just got a small piece of angle, rivetted it on the inside of the pipe, added the camlock to the cap, etched and spray canned the outside and made his brackets to bolt it on to the chassis out of some flat steel he had.

Click to enlarge.

Image Image

Image Image

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:29 am
Profile WWW

Post Cam Lock
Great idea Tess and Craig, you should patent it, looks simple but effective.

Adrian,
Slightly OT, but in your pic I see you had a No Overtaking When Turning sticker, could you tell me where you can obtain them please,

Thanks
Sandy

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Should have come over and got Craig to do it and saved some money! Great idea - oh to have mechanical knowledge and know-how!

Sandy, picked the sticker up from a local truck (accessory)shop for $15.00. They actually ordered it in for me. Many sizes are available to suit specific needs (and regulations)

regards

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm

lol sorry Adrian. if we'd have known he could have done one for you too.

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.boating4x4camping.com.au/pole_carrier.htm

Regards
Sid

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:06 pm

For $85 bucks why bother making one.

Regards
Sid

I had to make mine - my fishing rods are 2.2m long.

Very difficult to fit them in a 2m pipe :p

The other one sits across the back that is 2.45m wide - a 2m pole to me didn't make full use of available space.

I agree for $85 you could fit something like that on the front drawbar and probably wouldn't bother making one for that location.

Cheers.

Mike

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Post Sticker
Thanks for the info on the sticker Adrian, it would give you a bit more peace of mind having that one there, I'm always worried about someone trying to pass when I'm turning right to a rest stop or whatever along the way. I'll have to see if I can get one.

That's a nice looking pole carrier Sid, like many things we always find out about something after we have spent our money. I can see where a set size would not always suit everyone though, smaller is not too much of a problem as they can be cut down and the cap end fitting replaced etc.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks for the info on the sticker Adrian, it would give you a bit more peace of mind having that one there, I'm always worried about someone trying to pass when I'm turning right to a rest stop or whatever along the way. I'll have to see if I can get one.

That's a nice looking pole carrier Sid, like many things we always find out about something after we have spent our money. I can see where a set size would not always suit everyone though, smaller is not too much of a problem as they can be cut down and the cap end fitting replaced etc.

The signs are actually to stop people shooting up the left when you are negotiating LH turns from one lane out.
Or when on a tight roundabout where you need to use two lanes to get around it. Turning right you would use your indicators and hopefully no one would try to pass on the right.. But then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Putting an expensive lock on a pole carrier is an over kill because after a few months they will become somewhat brittle in the sun and a good whack with a hammer will probably shatter them anyway .

I drilled a hole in the pipe just in from the cap and one in the face of the cap and just slide a 60mm padlock through it Cost $10

754 Princeton & Cruiser 100ser TD

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 am

Post Pole Carrier
Hi,
I purchased a 5 metre 15 cm pvc pipe with the necessary asseccories from a plumbers supply warehouse. Tis allow me to make a 2 pole carriers. One for accross he front of the van on the A frame and the second I attached under the van to take my Fishing rods, and other odds items.
Cost was around $150 all up for the two pole carriers.To date they have served us well.
Cheers

JayDee
John & Desley

Sat May 01, 2010 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next