View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Info re solar panels 

. Also can that dual battery system work so if one is low on charge the other take over by just flicking a switch. Much like when one gas bottle empties, we flick the switch for the full one.

John,
On our boat we had isolator switches from house batteries (7 x100amp h AGMs) to start batteries (2 x 100 amp AGM) not sure how these would go on a van they are expensive. I dont think you would need to switch your batteries over as you would be topping them up daily if the panels are on the roof. The Ctec dc/dc charger charges up quickly search the net for this info. when we had our second battery add a few weeks ago they told us occasionaly to take the negetive leads of both batteries in parallel and charge one battery up fully at a time. (hope I got this right some one will certainly pick me up on this)

trish

BubblesT :)
Trish
Spaceland 28' "Margaritaville" ;)
Toyota 100 Series

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Delar the worst thing you can do to a battery is to flatten it, better two half flat than one fully flat.

a few weeks ago I got a friend a 100w folding panel with reg off ebay for $475 delivered, he was happy.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:11 am

Post solar panels
Hi Trish,

Many thanks for your remarks.
I will let you know our end result. Now looking a few months before we head of on our next long trip.

Enjoy the greatest experience
Touring Aussie.

Cheers

John

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:22 am

If you get the one of ebay look at the wiring may need to change it plus put the waterproof plugs on not the aligator clips, .comes with regulator and carry bag.

Good luck.
Trish

BubblesT :)
Trish
Spaceland 28' "Margaritaville" ;)
Toyota 100 Series

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Post solar panels
Hallo Delar, how are you going with your search for solar panels?
As we also have the Adora we are planning to get solar but not
sure yet which one: the folding ones or the panels on the roof.
Would the extra weight on the roof be a problem for the lightweight
Adora? Is the Adora already wired up for solar? We bought our van last
year at the Sydney show so our vans are the same age......

cheers from BN ;)

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Post solar panels
Hi B.N
Sorrry for not replying earlier.
No!!! we have not done any more re solar panels. Desley is concerned re the extra cost v the number of times we would / could/ should use it. I think I will try free camping on the original battery supplied by Adrfia, and then weigh up the situation.
But I personally believe that if we want to free camp for more than say 1 to 2 days then Solar would be a must. I am not sold on a " Gennie" due to the noise factor around other free campers.
I do not know if our Adria dealer knows if the van is already wired for Solar. They use to install same, but claim that it was to much of a hassle for the few they did.

We just love our van. Health issues restricting us at present, but soon to be on the road again.

Cheers

John & Desley.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:41 pm

it depends how long you free camp, we have been able to camp for 4 to 5 days off of one 100amp battery, as the battery is only used for lighting and the water pump, we also have a supercheap jump start pack which we can use as emergency back up if required (mainly for the water pump) as this is always in the car it is usually fully charged and raring to go. I am going to install another battery in Parallel, possibly a fold up solar kit and look at buying a generator the generator will be used to charge up the batteries (if required and to run the a/c if required and when permitted). as a lot of people have indicated before, we have found water to be more of an issue for long term free camping than power. we now make a point carrying 2 x 20L jerry cans in the car so we can top up with water whenever we are out touring. as you have probably discovered there are a lot of ways to achieve the desired result, none of them are wrong it just depends on your situation.

Happy Camping
Matt

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Last edited by Shaggy Dog on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Post Solar panel
Hi Delar
We have an 80 watt solar fitted to the roof Total cost around $450 panel from EBay ,regulator local supplier ,
The comment that if you fix your panel to the roof of your van and then park under a tree has some merit but remember that the shade on your roof moves during the day and the panel will still receive quite a lot of sun.
the panel works all year round and keeps your battery at peak operating condition even when parked at home not just when your camping.
Just some more info to confuse you with best of luck and happy travels.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Post Solar panels
When we camp we try to have the van in as much shade as possible , so a panel lying flat on the roof would be totally useless...it only puts out half power when lying flat for a start.....we have a 64w Uni-Solar on a 10m lead that we chase the sun with and I have just purchased a 80w folding panel via Ebay and will hook them up together and charge the batteries through a 10amp regulator...tried the folding panel out just after it arrived and it works like a charm...and now if a shadow gets on it , it is usually only half at a time and the other half keeps working ...cheers

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next