View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Info re solar panels 

Post Info re solar panels
Hi every one.

We have an Adria "Adora" van and we were considering installing solar panels. I have recieved a quote from a supplier at Tingalps in Brisbane which is approx $1600 for 80watts slaor panel fully installed plus approx $300 for an additional battery.
I am finding it hard to get a few quotes, so I decided to come on line to the forum to get some feedback from follow Caravaners who have had solar installed on their van. Would apprfeciate if anyone can give info for this work in the Brisbane area and approx what could be the cost involved.

Cheers

Jaydee. ( Jphn & Desley)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Post Re:- Solar Power
Hi delar,
We purchased a new van through QLD RV'v on Nicklin Way on the Sunshine Coast and had the solar panels fitted before we took delivery and I am sure that there is a solar power supplier in the Sunshine Coast or Bribie Island area.

Regards Ray

I was taught to be cautious {MM}

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Post RE: solar panels
Hi Jaydee,

Have you tried Solar Panel Xpress at the Bribie Is Caboolture exit from the Bruce Highway. I assume it is Springers you have the quote from. There is also Jamie's 12 volt shop at Caloundra(I think they install solar panels too).

Regards, Merril

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Post Solar Panel
Hi, I will admit that seems an awful lot to install a solar panel to me, but then I don't know how much work is involved in the Adria to get the wiring in there.

I paid $385 for a mono 100W panel delivered from China and $85 for a name brand regulator (second hand) off ebay and did it myself if that is any help and if you can run the wire and do the rest.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Post re solar panels
Try Battery world at Morayfield . See larry.
I bought all my solar gear off him
2 x 85 Watt panels 2 x 220 Amp batteries ,Solar Regulator.Ctek Charger.
Larry does good deals and gave me wiring free.
Solar Express lot more expensive.
Never had a problem with mine .
Had it for three years now.
Trust this helps.
Bruce

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:38 am

Post solar panels
Hi folloow caravaners.
Thanks for your input. I also decided to have a look on ebay. There a a number of panels on offer. One just sold for $455 plus delivery $69. It is a 120 watt 2 folding panels for caravan and camping. Appears to be portable. but maybe could be fitted to roof of van. I was just wondering if any one has had any experience with these solar panels from Ebay

Happy days ahead

Jaydee
John & Desley.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:04 pm

see teck talk/solar panels for my comments on folding panels. with more to come.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 am

Hi folloow caravaners.
Thanks for your input. I also decided to have a look on ebay. There a a number of panels on offer. One just sold for $455 plus delivery $69. It is a 120 watt 2 folding panels for caravan and camping. Appears to be portable. but maybe could be fitted to roof of van. I was just wondering if any one has had any experience with these solar panels from Ebay

Happy days ahead

Jaydee
John & Desley.

Hi John, we bought the 100watt of ebay 6 months ago and have had no problems. We are looking at having them installed on the roof when we pass through Townsville before heading off. Only because hubby is always so late putting them out and we miss a lot of the sun. This way we will have sun on them at all time. Our van is already wired for solar and had it checked out a week ago in Townsville but had to make a dash for Cairns.

BubblesT :)
Trish
Spaceland 28' "Margaritaville" ;)
Toyota 100 Series

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:51 am

Post solar panels
Hi Trish,

Nowthe more I look at Ebay and the prices for what are portable folding panels the more I like it. My only concern would be if I can have it mounted on the roof of the van. I guess that a batttery guy could install same. Also would it be neccessary for me to spend $$$ and have a second battery . Also can that dual battery system work so if one is low on charge the other take over by just flicking a switch. Much like when one gas bottle empties, we flick the switch for the full one.

Your thought Trish would be appreciated. Also if any body else has infor please advise.

Thanks
Cheers
Jaydee
John & Desley,

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:14 pm

We are going to have our 100 watt folding panel mounted on the roof of the van when back in Townville in a few weeks the person going to instal it will change the wire on the solar panel as he doesn't think it is heavy enough then the wire will run down to a CTec dc/dc charger 2500 which we will purchase from him $399 (you can get these of the net for $350 + postage so works out much the same).to our second battery which is in parrell in the boot of the van. We will have extra cables attached to the charger that we can drive the car up to must be within 5 mtrs of the charger to charge the 2nd battery on the car which runs the engel when we want to.

The cost
Panel approx $600 off ebay extra wire ? and clips to charger from jcar $1 each 8 clips. waterproof.
Charger $399
plus the cost of fitting panel to van ?
our van is already wired for solar.

John, send me a PM if you want more details.

Cheers,
Trish

BubblesT :)
Trish
Spaceland 28' "Margaritaville" ;)
Toyota 100 Series

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next