View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New Member Intro 

Post New Member Intro
Hi Folks,

I'm a new member and look forward to sharing with all of you on this forum.

We retired almost 3 years ago and spent the first 18 months in UK with family before returning to get ready to tour this magnificent country. In fact, almost to the year, we ordered our van...(our first) at the Sydney Supershow, a 24' Jayco Sterling (24-75.2). Care Dinette version. A few other extras make it a very comfortable temporary home...even permanent!!

After that we ordered out 'Tug'...a Toyota Landcruiser 200, twin turbo diesel. Got them both around August/September last year and, after a towing course was completed headed off for our first 2000km adventure. This year, Mother is working on a casual basis so our trips are a bit scarce but next year we will be heading first to Tassy then later, up North to the Cape and beyond...can't wait.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:05 pm

Welcome to the forum Deke. great pic of your rig there. You'll love Tassie, yes I'm biased. Would love to see some more pics of your trips.

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:23 pm
Profile WWW

Post Magnificent rig
Magnificent Deke, half your luck and welcome.

Very interested in your opinions on the LC200 as I have been thinking of changing from my LC100 TD (although I have just got it set-up the way I want it). Keep us informed on performance and fuel burn during your trips.

Enjoy,

Buster

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Location: Where We Are, Australia (Narre Warren South, Victoria)
Post Welcome Deke!
G'Day Deke.

Welcome to this great little forum. It's a great place to share your knowledge and pick up a few tricks and ideas from so many fellow travellers.

We hope to be on the road full-time next year with a large van, so we'll be interested in hearing your travels as you go. Your rig looks very well balanced and Level!

Best regards and happy travels, Dawn & Lance.

Princeton 754 & 4500 Patrol Ti

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Post Very nice
Very nice rig Deke, we keep looking at the 24' Sterling. From what we can see very good value for money. In saying that have you looked at the new Jurgens caravans, they have come over from South Africa, very nice and in the same price range as the Jayco. Just love there off road camper.
Happy traveling guys

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:09 am

Post Hi
Well Good you made it!

Now we have to find the time to travel!!!

cheers

80S Land Cruiser 40th (petrol)[1998]
20ft Jayco Sterling C/V (20.64-2)[2006]

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:55 am

Post Thanks
Thanks for all your kind words of welcome.

As for your questions/comments.

RickP...yes the 24' Sterling is nice...they all are, was at the Show yesterday,....shouldn't go there, spent a fortune, Honda 2l genny, ICOM UHF, chairs etc etc...all necessary of course...!!! Looked at the Jurgens and agree they are nice also. They are however a fairly lightweight van built on the same basis as European vans...which is no bad thing either, just depends on where you want to go I guess. I won't be taking the Sterling too far off the black top either.

Buster, as for the LC200, the economy is around 18.5l/100km on sealed dry roads, towing the van fully loaded. Worst I got was 22l/100km heading into a strong headwind and driving rain...horrible weather to be towing in. Without the van on the back I get around 11l/100km on the highway and 13-15l/100km in the city...(Sydney). Not bad for such a big heavy beast. I took the whole rig over the weighbridge last year and full loaded, the GCM 5.8T...ouch

And finally..., a confession....Rupert is my Brother in Law, his wife is my sister and together next year we hop to do a bit of travel and may meet up with some of you along the way.

Happy travels...

Toyota Landcruiser 200VX TTD
Jayco Sterling 24-75.2 CD
[url]http://kwaussies.blogspot.com[/url]

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:10 am

Welcome Deke, love the rig and yes all these shows get you in. Hope to get down to the Brissy one in June. The Honda 2l genny is brillant we have one as a back up on the boat...... on eco throttle it will run for up to 14hrs just running fans and freezer on a tank of fuel and very quite.

BubblesT :)
Trish
Spaceland 28' "Margaritaville" ;)
Toyota 100 Series

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:57 am

Welcome to the forum Deke. great pic of your rig there. You'll love Tassie, yes I'm biased. Would love to see some more pics of your trips.

Nice setup mate, she looks wonderful, hope you are getting plenty of pics of your travels.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:55 pm

congrats Deke on your good choice of van & tug looks great

see u out there;;;;on the road again

chris & lenna

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next