The Magazine Going Forward

Tell us your thoughts on the C&M magazine
ALAN1963
Avid poster

Re: The Magazine Going Forward

Post by ALAN1963 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:43 am

Hi All,

I too support Old Cowboys views expressed in his post.

Good luck to you Marg on your new position as editor.

I am a long term subscriber…even prior to the DVD,s starting which was mid 2005 and still enjoy getting the magazines and DVD’s each month.

Not everyone on the forum supports the views expressed by the complainer’s who proudly offer little other than to inform other forum users how bad they think the Mag and DVD’s are…..then say they don’t subscribe etc all on a forum and website paid for by the magazine and its owners.

Again good luck Marg.

Don’t let the few drag you down.

Cheers AL

dream4red
Been here for a while

Post by dream4red » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15 pm

I am so impressed the mag had the sense to give Marg the job… always great to see someone get the rewards they have well and truly earned.
Perhaps an article idea, would be to honestly review the various styles of beds in vans and how some of those beds are able to be made? I cant find anyone under 6ft tall who can actually make a bunk bed, an over the cabin in a campervan, or even a bed in the corner of a van. A novel idea with some vans, like the Windsor rapids, pull off the velcro-ed on window screens and tuck the sheets in through the windows! Brands of van need not be mentioned, just some thoughts on how to actually achieve a comfortable bed. These thoughts may be of huge value when trying to honestly compare styles of van before making final decisions to part with cash.
Real life comparisons of van equipment would be interesting, both from technical points of view and the from those who have the particular brands/styles of the specified equipment in their vans. Some thoughts/suggestions would be fridges, heater, air cons, hot water systems, awning styles, annex designs. There are so many variables and of course so many differing opinions, but they are all of value to be shared (like here on the forum). These would need to be honest and not advertorial stuff. It is not just the advertisers who want to actually read about their products, but as comparisons with other available products, we have a better chance of not buying a dud! Operative word was HONEST, preferably from people who are using them in their vans on a regular or fairly frequent basis.

Thanks for reading and keep up the great work!
I am a long time subscriber of the mag, but sick of seeing only what the advertisers want us to read. If their products are any good, they should be able to stand up and be accountable in a fair trial.
Deborah
Sparkles and Soul

Shiny white Prado with a Jayco Sterling 17’6″ Poptop behind.

Life is for living, so get out there and live it up

Marg McAlister
Staff

Post by Marg McAlister » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:07 am

dream4red wrote:Perhaps an article idea, would be to honestly review the various styles of beds in vans and how some of those beds are able to be made?… Just some thoughts on how to actually achieve a comfortable bed. These thoughts may be of huge value when trying to honestly compare styles of van before making final decisions to part with cash.
Real life comparisons of van equipment would be interesting, both from technical points of view and the from those who have the particular brands/styles of the specified equipment in their vans.
Deborah: beds! What a great idea. You’re so right: some beds are impossible to make. And the actual structure of the bed is so important to comfort, not to mention the mattress.

And as far as product comparisons go: you’ll be pleased to know that these are already in the pipeline: Joseph is lining up the first batch right now.

Cheers
Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer
Caravan & Motorhome on Tour

alvik
Avid poster

Post by alvik » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Old Cowboy, There’s a bloke I would be happy to share a camp fire with.
Cheers and Beers
Alvik
Mazda BT50 Dual Cab
Olympic Javelin XL 2012 21ft 6

shirley & bruce
On a roll

Post by shirley & bruce » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:26 pm

I for one used to enjoy the dvd…. how they used to go fishing and cooking and took you around the caravan parks also the attractions in an area that they where visiting also free camping if that was on in that area looking forward to the new look mag…. :D :D
so.be.it

Faye
Confident

Post by Faye » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Suggested articles for the magazine could include First Aid aspects covered especially heart, stroke, fractures, insect bites, and other health issues etc.

Personal safety especially when in the outback, e.g. finding/ obtaining water in emergency, how to look for water and food if separated from vehicle, e.g. when hiking, walking etc. Importance of informing police, rangers, relatives of travelling arrangements and length of time expected to take place.

Driving in a safe manner, how heat, fire, wind, cold, icy conditions can impact on safe travel.

How much is really necessary to take on various length of travel trips and the type of essential instead of ‘must have’s’ as opposed to everything ‘in case of’.

Hope this is helpful

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:27 am

Faye,
I agree with everyone of your suggestions for the mag.
Most of it we learnt many years ago and some points are basic knowledge but we all need reminding every now and again.
Hopefully when it comes to medical issues and first aid, the mag will get the latest from the real experts; St John’s Ambulance maybe and not a caravan tester/reviewer.
glanyard

Faye
Confident

Post by Faye » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks glanyard. Just trying to be positive instead of negative. I have been a Girl Guide Leader many, many moons ago and still put into practice what I used to camp out with young people at the time. That is leave no trace of rubbish at the camp site, (the Emu Parade), and Be Prepared. I found this Forum extremely helpful and the magazine and want to give something back. Preparation is best to overcome problems, but sometimes we forget the very basics of survival! That is I have lists upon lists and typing up hints, tips etc. all placed in a folder to take with me to review from time to time. Hopefully all will be useful when I get to go on the Big Trip around Oz!

Marg McAlister
Staff

Post by Marg McAlister » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Faye, those are excellent suggestions. We have a new health and fitness column coming up, and all ideas are really welcome.

Cheers
Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer
Caravan & Motorhome on Tour

tomcarm
Been here for a while

Post by tomcarm » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am

Marg,
I was keen to motivate others to suggest how the mag / DVD might be improved.
I must admit to being unconvinced that the publisher / owner would permit you to improve the mag.
It appears he has and as a result you have.
Sincere congratulations on your effort thus far…

My suggestion, not yet taken up was for you to study / adapt ideas from the USA’s Bunzer ‘RV Doctor’ approach to ‘on the road maintenance & road check. On another forum an owner of a weighbridge invited forumites to attend on 2 Saturday mornings recently.
Another forumite, a serving police also attended.
Critically important issues of weight, distributing weight when loading, suspension and sway issues were discussed while the tugs & vans & motorhomes were weighed free of charge. Sadly, I live in another state and could not avail myself of the opportunity.

Firstly, that would make an excellent topic for a lead article.
Secondly, the magazine could foster such events on a wide range of issues…

So Marg, from a potential critic – keep up the good work.

Return to “Your Say”