View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Ground rules for free camping ??? 

Post Ground rules for free camping ???
G'day ,on boxing day we are hitching up and going to have a go at free camping for a couple of weeks ,we were going to camp along the Murray River but with all the flooding we will have to wait till closer to the day to make a final decision, if not we will just go with no set plan ..As we have never free camped while touring what are the ground rules to follow that would be acceptable to most reasonable fellow campers ..Things like open fires, when you arrive or leave ,how close to camp next to your neighbour ,cleaning up mess left by other campers ,when to stop any noise ,how long to stay if the area is crowded to give other folk a chance to stay there ,is it acceptable to empty the overnight wee bucket in the bush away from other campers .Is it a no no at truck stops and are there signs to say trucks only ,any hints you can give will be appreciated as we would like it to be as hassle free as possible and to fit in with fellow campers ...Cheers ..BoB...

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:05 am

Post Re: Ground rules for free camping ???
Hi BoB,
We have free camped a few times on the last rip. Since then we are now completely set up for free camp and intend to do a lot of it next month on our 4 month trip south. I guess that the only real issue I would have would be generators. We now have a gennie, so I will be very considerate re distance from others as to where I camp. I also think that a sign... "Generator in use" will assist fellow RV's so they can make a decision, and camp further away.
All other Q you asked really comes down to a lot of common sense on your part.
Just my thoughts. But yes!!! Free Camp is a great lifestyle on the road.
Don't woooory be aaaaappy :lol: :lol:
Jay&Dee

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:00 am

Geeeezzzz Bob,
youve openned a can of worms,put your seatbelt on and hang on LOL.

Generally i find gennies off by 9pm [we shut our off by 8pm giving us 3 hours cooking and charging].

Other than the obvious like noise [kids,fighting etc].

Try and park atleast 2 van lengths if you can.

Always try and reverse in so you can get out fast if need be AND it leaves much more room in the middle.

Give a little to requests but also remember your rights too,if it sounds unreasonable then tell them.

The Tension breaker is to difuse the situation before it starts,walk over and say i hope my genny isnt annoying you we need it for cooking or medical reasons [asthma machines],most will reply "what Genny".

Cheers Rod

Im taking Jay & Dee's advice and making a genny sign.great idea.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:15 am

[quote="rredbeak"]Geeeezzzz Bob,
youve openned a can of worms,put your seatbelt on and hang on LOL.

I hope so as just from reading stuff from this forum people have very different ideas about what is a fair thing especially regarding generators ..Luckily for us we have solar and on our first free camp at Lake Glenbawn for 12 days in September we never came close to running out of battery power ,everything in the van is 12v except the microwave oven and we can live without that ..The system worked a treat but being in one spot must be different to changing spots every day or so ..Cheers ...Bob...

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:29 am

Bob..IMO there are no rules or regs when free camping and the only 'etiquette' is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you.....Dont get in a twist about whether or not you are doing the right thing..just enjoy yourself....as time goes on you'll soon figure out the things to watch out for. The safety and security issues have been done and done again on this forum.
Having said that, I'd like to alert you to the fact that you are setting out at a very busy time..it will be extremely busy and crowded at all the 'good spots' and you're bound to find a bit of unpleasantness here or there..e.g noisy, late night parties, trail bikes, generators etc. etc.
Lots of good spots along the Murray have been 'bagged' by locals and regulars..move into 'their' spot and look out.
All in all..probably not a good time to try the free camping experiment.
Hope you have a great trip anyway..
Jock :neutral:

Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
labrat wrote:
G'day ,on boxing day we are hitching up and going to have a go at free camping for a couple of weeks ,we were going to camp along the Murray River but with all the flooding we will have to wait till closer to the day to make a final decision, if not we will just go with no set plan ..As we have never free camped while touring what are the ground rules to follow that would be acceptable to most reasonable fellow campers ..Things like open fires (if there are no fire bans, try and have them where there has already been a fire, so that you dont leave another burn mark, if you have a choofer all the better), when you arrive or leave (it's up to you as long as you're not waking people up at 6am or 10pm),how close to camp next to your neighbour (if there are only 2 of you there, park at the other end to where they are, if it's busy leave at least 2 van lenghts, as said before, but that could allow somebody to park closer if it gets realy busy),cleaning up mess left by other campers (when ever we get to a freecamp, if there is a mess, we get the rubber gloves and plastic bag out and clean up) ,when to stop any noise (its depends again on how busy it is, if it's quiet and you are away from neighbors then noise at your discression, if it's busy and they are close then talk to them and ask what time the settle down, most people think 9 is about the time for lights out, but can stretch to 9.30),how long to stay if the area is crowded to give other folk a chance to stay there (with any freecamp it is first in, first served, but some areas have a maximum time specified, if it's busy then move on at the time allowed),is it acceptable to empty the overnight wee bucket in the bush away from other campers (not realy, if you have a porta potty, that can usually go about 3 days, then go for a drive and find a long drop [OK if you use nappy treatment in it] or public toilet or dump point, IF you have to use a tree, do it well away from the camp area [and the river] and dig a hole, even for #1's only [you can still use nappy treatment in a bucket).Is it a no no at truck stops and are there signs to say trucks only (trucks only, means trucks only, usually means that there is no room for vans and it could be dangerous, if you have to stop and if it says truck stop and no other signs, get out and talk to one of the truckies there and ask him if he thinks it's OK tell him you need to stop and ask where the best place to park is) ,any hints you can give will be appreciated as we would like it to be as hassle free as possible and to fit in with fellow campers ...Cheers ..BoB...

Other than that, as said before there are no rules, but there is etiquette, use common sense, and talk to your fellow travellers, but remember you are going at a very busy time so don't plan to stop too far away, the camp you choose may be full and you may have to move on when tired, plan somewhere a little closer, which gives you some lee-way.
Frank

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Last edited by Frank & Brenda on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:09 pm

what is the go with port a potties in public toilets?
I know dump points are the preferred- but sometimes they are not available within the alloted time :oops:

Is it ok to empty into a toilet?

I do this at home sometime after a weekend- so can do it very clean (don't fancy the saucepan tio the head)

Just wondering on etiquette.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
Only once I had someone say, should you do that here? and I said "It needs to be empty and there is no dump point in the area, where else can I do it?" and it's true, it's either a toilet of a tree, I know I prefer a public toilet.
Frank

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi Labrat, all of the above posts are very good answers from forum members who care about their fellow travellers and the environment.

The only thing I would add is, try to use only biodegradable products (dishwash, soap, toilet chems. etc) then you can empty containers with confidence that you have done your bit!!

Go and enjoy.

Colin.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:23 pm

4wd26 wrote:
what is the go with port a potties in public toilets?
I know dump points are the preferred- but sometimes they are not available within the alloted time :oops:

Is it ok to empty into a toilet? Just wondering on etiquette.
Snipped

Hi 4wd26,
I have no problems either . The whole contents is fluid and can not block any thing at all. I always clean up and have never had a problem. What gets me is that even in caravan parks there are often no dump points, and being a plumber I know how simple it is to provide one. That would make it easy for every one, and be easy to clean down as well.
The only thing to watch is that some sort of non toxic "to certain toilets" agent be used so as not to de -activate long drop toilets, etc. But that is another topic.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next