View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Info on Tasmania 

Post Info on Tasmania
Hi

Were planning on going to Tasmania in March 2010. We were wondering what the road was like from Arthur River to Corinna. As we have only a few weeks any information would be appreciated as we know we can only see so much in a short time.

Thanks

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi nispat1. As far as I know the western explorer road is in pretty good nick after the fire last year. Most tourists in renta cars go on it. Its gravel I think but well maintained.
This may help you with things to see and places to go. http://www.discovertasmania.com/destinations You’ll see a bit of the state in a couple of weeks.

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:08 pm
Profile WWW

Hi

Were planning on going to Tasmania in March 2010. We were wondering what the road was like from Arthur River to Corinna. As we have only a few weeks any information would be appreciated as we know we can only see so much in a short time.

Thanks

You may need to book quickly if you want cheap(er) fares. There is a national gem festival on at Devonport for the 4 days of Easter and the ferry company has changed the dates of their peak season from March 28 to March 21. Makes a difference of about $200 each way to travel in the shoulder season. The night loading of March 19 is fully booked for caravans over 2.1m high.

Ray.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks for that info TassieD & Rayw1 we will look into dates. Problem is it will be another few weeks before we can get definate dates for the ferry. We have a general plan of which way to go but each place we read about we think we would like to stay a few days!!!. Though whatever time we do have there, were sure to enjoy the scenery. Apart from all the usual tourist places is there anywhere else that others can recommend.

Thanks

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:14 pm

Post Tassie
Hi nispat1
Arthur river crusie is meant to be very worthwhile. The steeper parts of the Western Explorer road were sealed about 8 years ago when we travelled that way. The Abt Railway is a must also, Runs from Strahan to Queenstown and return. Hope this helps you a little in planning our trip.

Safe Travelss
Tassie Toytle

Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:56 pm

If you are taking the Western Explorer Road, start at the North West end that way you can go to Stanley on the way – old fishing village and childhood home of Tassie’s only PM – Joe Lyons (useless piece of trivia for you) , the Nut is visibile from many kms away and a cable seat runs to the top and return, caravan park used to be one of the best around and not sure how it rates now. Stanley is only about an hours towing from Burnie and you will find the Western Explorer a day trip in itself i’d suggest although have never travelled it ourselves. You will come out of the explorer – after the ferry trip (check on cost – $35.00 passage?) – near Zeehan which houses an excellent mining museum and gem display. Dame Nellie Melba made an appearance at the local theatre in her day and the nearby Melba Flats (railway ore loading area) are named after her (more useless trivia for you).

Strahan is about 3/4 of an hour from Zeehan and has two caravan parks that I can think of. There are areas between Zeehan and Strahan where you could free camp particularly under the sand dunes. Stanley to Strahan in a day via the Western Explorer will be a big day for you and I’d recommend an early start. There is no caravan park in nearby Smithton (near Stanley)

Lots to do in Strahan – if you are prepared to pay – Gordon River cruises including a trip to the old penal settlement ruins on Sarah Island plus a trip thru the ‘Heads’. Make sure you take in a performance of ‘The ship that never was’ which ruins daily from a stage area near the main part of the township – entrance is minimal I believe. Could take a jet boat ride or an aerial view via Seaplane of the West Coast.

Queenstown is about 3/4 of an hours towing from Strahan – be prepared for probably one of Tasmania’s most winding roads. Just outside Queenstown the Lake Margaret power station has just been re-vamped but I’m unsure of tours etc. Beware of Queenstown water – you will pass an excellent spring where some of the locals source their water on the way into town. As mentioned Queenstown is the home of the Abt railway – have a look online – its also not cheap. There is a CP at Queenstown but have never stayed there preferring to freecamp at Lake Burbury accessed via either end of Queenstown – use the Southern end and you will have to retrace your steps to get out – use the Northern exit (to Hobart) and you are on your way. Either way you will have steep climbs – moreso from the Hobart road which winds its way up with big drops off the side – an old open cut mine is at the top just before Gormanston. If you opt to go to the Lake Burbury boatramp this area is suitable to free camp. If you cross over Lake Burbury there is a camp ground on the other side with a caretaker – overnight fee used to be $5.00.

Continue on to Derwent Bridge where you access Lake St Clair National Park – I think that the pub may let you park/camp around the back. Make sure you visit the WALL in the wilderness nearby ($8.50 etnry fee for adults) which is a 100 metre wall carving work in progress.

20k further on you will find Bronte Lagoon where you will find a rock cairn marking the geographical centre of Tas (more useless trivia but worth a photo none the less).

Just before that cairn, like the game or book you can now make a decision, turn left off the Lyell Highway at Bronte Park and travel north to Great Lake and onwards to Launceston via Poatina OR keep travelling through the Derwent Valley where there is also much to see to Hobart via New Norfolk.

I’ve probably prattled on too much and will let others pick up for the Southern and Northern areas. Should you take the Northern option, make sure that you visit the lookout as you commence the Poatina Hill descent – it would be one of the best views in Tassie – aside of the one from the top of Mount Wellington overlooking Hobart!

Decisions, decisons, how long did you say you’ve got? – you may have to come back!

safe travels and enjoy

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:47 pm

Make sure if you are staying in any Tassie van parks over any weekends that are long weekends…..BOOK AHEAD. Us Taswegians like to make the most of finer/warmer weather in our caravans. The chance to spend three nights away means that any park is usually VERY busy or booked out completely.
Also,PLEASE!! allow yourself plenty of time to get to your destinations.The map of Tas looks small compared to the mainland,but the distances you need to travel can still take a while. There has been a lot of road carnage in Tas this year and quite a few road casualties have been interstate or international tourists.
As my grandfather used to say: “there’s no such thing as a dangerous road if you’re driving slow enough.”

PS: The jessdogster forgot to mention the Wayatinah C/P about 2 hours from Hobart on the Lyell Highway. Great C/P on a hydro lake .Bit rugged and facilities are pretty old but it certainly has a charm all its own and it’s cheap.

Our Blog: www.cooneystour.blogspot.com

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Post Western Tassie.
Jessdogster has given a comprehensive overview of the Western side of Tassie and I agree with all the ideas.

If you decide to do the Abt railway, I suggest catch the bus from Strahan to Queenstown and get the train back to Strahan. Queenstown is the steepest end of the line and really makes the little engine show it’s pulling power to the best.

We also did ‘Douggies underground Mt Lyall Copper Mine tour’, at Queenstown. Absolutely fantastic.

Don’t be detered by the winding road out of Queenstown. We pulled a 24 foot Boroma up there with a LC100TD, no bother.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Colin.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:49 am

I agree with what everyone on here has said, you have picked the best time to come to Tassie, pity you could not stay longer there are some great spots around for you to look at.

Cheers
Bygrave
Happy Vanning:rolleyes:

Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:47 pm

If you look in the Community – pictures and albums you will see a couple of pics of “gods little acre”, that might wet your appitite.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next