Info on Tasmania

Chat to fellow Rvers about general topics
nispat1

Post by nispat1 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:23 pm

WOW!!!!
What a great site this is. Thank you to all who responded. Jessdogster that is fantastic info, have sat down with a map and taken everything in. Also thanks to tassie toytle and bevel19. As we have only 2-3 weeks, having a better idea where we would like to go, may be better than just deciding on the run. Yes we agree this will just be our first trip down and when retirement comes we will plan an extended holiday!!

jessdogster

and

Post by jessdogster » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:42 pm

…Burnie is about 30 – 40 minutes from Devonport where the ferry docks. Pending on the sailing you may arrive early in the morning in Devonport. Caravan Parks on both sides of the river at Devonport – East Devonport (where the ferry docks) CP (Big 4) is the more modern of the two and has drive-thru sites. Sheffield (town of murals) is about 30 – 40 minutes minutes away and is on the way to Cradle Mountain – a good day trip if using Devonport as a base. If going to Latrobe visit the Anvers chocolate factory on the highway on the way and visit Relicquaire in Latrobe itself – an amazing shop with awesome coffee and fudge. Recommended route – Devonport, Latrobe, Sheffield, Cradle Mountain, Devonport – but up to you.

Free camping at Penguin (grey/black water dumping point plus a caravan park nearby), Preservation Bay and Sulphur Creek on the way to Burnie. Free camping in Burnie at Cooee Point (+ a grey/black water dumping point) plus a caravan park at Cooee. Visit the cheese factory in Burnie (free sampling but try and leave the place without buying – too hard!) and the new makers workshop.

Wynyard is about 15 minutes from Burnie (on the way to Stanley) and also has 2 caravan Parks – visit the wonders of Wynyard and also the Tulip Farm on Table Cape (time of year may be problematic but views from Table Cape are excellent) – excellent around October when tulips are in flower (tulips are exported to Holland as its their off season – go figure – more useless info!)

Budget for buying a National Park pass – you’ll need one to access Cradle Mountain’s Dove Lake also Lake St Clair and Freycinet National Park at Coles Bay on the East Coast (a story for another day).

I’ll shut-up now…

regards
Adrian & Steph
Vehicle – 2012 Toyota landcruiser 200 series
Van – 2014 Roma 21’6″ Elegance

PeterInSa

Post by PeterInSa » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:08 pm

I will always remember the Chocklate factory between Devonport and Latrobe. Cheese Factory North of Deloraine (Elizabeth Town) and the Honey Factory/Shop at Chudleigh close to Mole Creek.

These places have free tastings (no one looking over your sholder) and many many many types of product, but I most of us I have got to watch my weight.

They are must see places.

Peter

Rascal

Post by Rascal » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi,
We were down in Tassie last year. Our blog will give you a good idea what the Western Explorer is like. I recommend cruise from Corrina and definately worthwhile doing the drive. You haven’t said if you are self contained but if you have the time (we didn’t) plenty of places to stay on the way down the west coast between Arthur River and Strahan. Worthwhile going out to all the fishing villages on the way down.
You are restricted by length to catch the Fat Man across the Piemann but you can go around if you have to.

Cheers
Laurie and Helen
19’6″ KEDRON Top Ender
http://lauriehelen.blogspot.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:25 pm

PeterInSa wrote:I will always remember the Chocklate factory between Devonport and Latrobe.
When we visited there, it was like stepping back in time, my father was a baker/pastrycook/chocolatier in Belgium, and a lot of the molds they had there was like the ones dad had.

golivers travels

Tassie travels

Post by golivers travels » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi
I cannot believe my luck. I thought I would browse over the forum for ideas, we intend to travel to Tassie mid March for 6 weeks. Have a Sterling pop top and tow with a Territory TS AWD. The info in this thread is very valuable – thanks so much.
We would like to travel all through Tassie, staying in a mix of Free camps and caravan parks so interested in the best places to stay, bird watching areas and national parks

Gary and I ( Glenda) have just returned from a 10 week trip to the south of WA. We planned this trip with info from this forum, it was a fantastic holiday and the info spot on, right down the type of generator to purchase ( Honda 2) and how to power our Waeko 80 with a second deep cell battery.

We kept a blog if anyone is interested. Still have not put up the last week but will do soon. Our interest is bird watching.

www.golivers-travels.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone again for you input – retirement in 4 weeks!!!

Glenda and Gary

jessdogster

March weather

Post by jessdogster » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:26 pm

For those coming in March to Tas i reckon you have probably picked the best month insofar as weather – great days with little to no wind. Wind is usually here with us on the NW coast until about mid January – pain really but its about 22 today and beautiful. February is also much better balanced weather leading into March.

Beware of the UV throughout Tassie – wear a hat, apply lotion or cover up, on a nice day you’ll burn before you know it.

enjoy
Adrian & Steph
Vehicle – 2012 Toyota landcruiser 200 series
Van – 2014 Roma 21’6″ Elegance

valiant81

Post by valiant81 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi Nispati;
My wife and myself stayed at Arther river caravan park in november last year,and had a great time $25 per night.you can also camp just out of arther river and is a very well protected area,you can even get the 4×4 down on to the beach as well.
tjhe road to corinna is well worth the trip and is very pretty at any time of the year.As for the road,it is 95% gravel so take it easy,and als very hilly and a couple of steep hills and can be very narrow in places.Some of the very from the the mountain range rae fantastic and worth the trip.
We did the trip from arther river to corinna in about 2 hours,had lunch at the pub and a look around corrina ,than drove back to arther river in the same day .Bloody Fantastic.
We left the van at the caravan park at arther river and explored the area,also did a day trip to Stanly as well.

joz

Tassie with van

Post by joz » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:22 pm

G’day all, We too are planning a trip with the van approx 8th Mch for a couple of weeks. does anyone know if we arrive at 6pm on the ship by the time we unload would we get into a park?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Joz, I think it wise to book your arrival-night park. Allow 1.5 hours to get off the ship and slow progress through very thorough quarantine. Shazza did this trip recently so may be better able to advise.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Return to “Travel Chat”