View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Safety Chains 

Post Re: Safety Chains
jock wrote:
G'day Hawkie and Wanderer.. Re Rams Horns.
Here's another case to have someone of authority on the site to give us a definite answer.
You guys are probaby right allthough Peterm's post seems to suggest that they are legal..Peter! was that set of regs taken from any particular State?
One wonders about the reason for outlawing them..surely a lightweight or rusty shackle would be more of a hazard...Cant see how a good thick set of rams heads, properly welded on, would straighten.
Anyway..still curious....Haven't looked at how they would fit under my WDH Bars receiver yet.
Jock :confused:

G'day Jock,

NSW, Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007.

Here is the link:
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maint ... 007+cd+0+N

Scroll down the left side almost to the bottom and click on:
Schedule 2 Vehicle Standards,

then scroll down the right side to:
Part 10 Mechanical connections between vehicles

Division 1 Couplings on all types of vehicles

166 Drawbar couplings

The info I posted earlier was a copy and paste from there.

Cheers,

PeterM.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Post Re: Safety Chains
i've had 2 trailers (not vans) slip the ball, both incidents are now decades ago, i also seen 1 trailer snap the ball, snap the chain and then was stopped from killing anyone (the steep downhill 300metres run in the centre of auckland) by writing off 3 cars. it sat in the back seat of the first which crushed the boot of the 2nd and forced both into the 3rd. i was just a pedestrian in a shop doorway when i heard the 2 'cracks' as first the ball broke then the chain snapped it gave me a healthy respect for an unbraked trailer, it was a petrol driven aircompressor so maybe the entire trailer was @ 1-1&1/2 tons (yes pre metric)
i think the present 2000kg self breaking standard is set too low (imo)

for my 2 instances, the first was youthful ignorance the second adult complacancy. i had 3 double kayaks of the university kayak club on the back of a borrowed trailer that was little more than a 6 by 4 ball weight was about negative something (10? 20?). needless to say after @ 8 hours of driving the coupling worked loose (the days of the nut in a handle) on a down hill run felt it go up & was watching the kayaks noses bounce side to side in the mirror. with luck i managed to accellerate a bit which pulled the 'a' frame down lower than the bumper & i hit the brakes with the chain wrapped around the bumper (gentle not panic).

the second time @ 2 decades later it again was a borrowed 6 by 4, same nut arrangement etc, the trailer was empty & same again except this time there was nothing to 'see' as such but the trailer was wagging & i felt the car wasn't quite right, same idea wait until the trailer pitched froward & lower than the bumper & same breaking.

as for the 'roadway' i never went back to look & never cared, both times i was able to rehitch (the 2nd time stopped at the next hardware store & double nutted it)

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5