View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Why you should ditch Internet Explorer 

Post Why you should ditch Internet Explorer
In the thread Change forum look with FireFox plugin I stated that no-one with any sanity should be using Internet Explorer. This was questioned by some but it is a statement that I don't back away from.

My reasons for not using Internet Explorer:
  • Security. Very slow to plug major holes.
  • Slow - 2 to 3 times slower with Javascript execution than the other browsers
  • Lack of adherence to web standards (has a much greater impact than most realise)
  • Lack of extensibility. Firefox has many great plugins
  • Lack of spell checker

There is no good reason at all to use Internet Explorer as your browser of choice. Everything is done better by other browsers. If you just want a quick, basic browser then either Chrome or Safari are good. If you want the benefits of many addins then Firefox would be the choice.

Using IE exposes you to more safety risks than other browsers, is slower, less extensible.

It would be hard to find good quality IT sources advocating the use of IE but plenty warning of the dangers.

5 Reasons To Say Goodbye To Internet Explorer
Why You Shouldn’t Use Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer: Reasons Why NOT To Use It

Cheers
Brett

P.S. I do use IE 8 every single day because a $300 million eHealth program is designed so poorly it only runs only on Internet Explorer. Biggest heap of junk ever, would be better off with paper based records. Be interesting to see if it becomes an election issue in Victoria this November.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:33 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Why you should ditch Internet Explorer
BrettAltea wrote:
In the thread Change forum look with FireFox plugin I stated that no-one with any sanity should be using Internet Explorer. This was questioned by some but it is a statement that I don't back away from.

My reasons for not using Internet Explorer:
  • Security. Very slow to plug major holes.
  • Slow - 2 to 3 times slower with Javascript execution than the other browsers
  • Lack of adherence to web standards (has a much greater impact than most realise)
  • Lack of extensibility. Firefox has many great plugins
  • Lack of spell checker

There is no good reason at all to use Internet Explorer as your browser of choice. Everything is done better by other browsers. If you just want a quick, basic browser then either Chrome or Safari are good. If you want the benefits of many addins then Firefox would be the choice.

Using IE exposes you to more safety risks than other browsers, is slower, less extensible.

It would be hard to find good quality IT sources advocating the use of IE but plenty warning of the dangers.

5 Reasons To Say Goodbye To Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer: Reasons Why NOT To Use It

Cheers
Brett

P.S. I do use IE 8 every single day because a $300 million eHealth program is designed so poorly it only runs only on Internet Explorer. Biggest heap of junk ever, would be better off with paper based records. Be interesting to see if it becomes an election issue in Victoria this November.

Hi Brett
Great post.
I have been using Firefox for around 4 years I think and wouldn't change back to IE. I had forgotten some of the things about FF that you have pointed out and one of them was the spell checker. I suppose you just get used to the features. This also would explain some of the horrendous spelling on some posts. They are using IE and also don't have Office installed which has a spell checker. I also use Thunderbird along with Windows 7 Ultimate.
Keep up the good work.

Regards Chris :mrgreen:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:40 am

I use internet explorer as my firefox was playing up awhile back ,but I have thunderbird for my emails
so far internet explorer has been ok for me with the new computer
so I cant complain

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:18 am

G'day Brett,

I run nearly 200 Icons (shortcuts) on my Win XP desktop. Many of them launch IE8 facilities. To save me the trouble of chasing it up how do I get said Icons to launch the same facilities in FF?

Mad Techo

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi Brett
We use Firefox. Would not change to IE, as Firefox appear to suit our needs 100%.

Jay&Dee.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:04 pm

I to use FireFox and Thunderbird and have done so for many years, for those that don't know there is an English Australian dictionary available for Thunderbird spell checker.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... dictionary

Avan Rhys.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Old Techo wrote:
G'day Brett,

I run nearly 200 Icons (shortcuts) on my Win XP desktop. Many of them launch IE8 facilities. To save me the trouble of chasing it up how do I get said Icons to launch the same facilities in FF?

Mad Techo

Change your default browser and it should then open up in the new browser. On FF go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced and then click on the "Check Now" button to check if FF is your default browser.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:10 pm
Profile WWW

Old Techo wrote:
G'day Brett,

Mad Techo

Hi Old Techo.
Once you have downloaded FF I think you will be asked to make it you default browser which will answer your question.
The "nearly 200 icons" would worry me. Do you need that many shortcuts? Most shortcuts are not necessary as the accompanied programme will open automatically. For instance if a pdf file comes in a email, the programme whether it be Acrobat reader or Foxit will open that pdf file without having a shortcut to it.
Other icons that are associated with a particular programme, can be all put into a file on your desktop. Example, I have one file with 5 shortcuts in it for my printer. Another file is for a upcoming trip to the USA.
I only have 6 icons on my desktop but that's me. Each to his own. I am trying not to be critical, however I just can't imagine a desktop with all those icons :rolleyes:

Regards Chris

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Im running 2 desk tops + 2 laptops with Internet Explorer and havent had any problems.
Ive tried google chrome a few months back & cause a few probs so had to go back to IE, I havent as yet updated to IE8.
Cant comment on firefox as last time I used it was over 2 years ago.
3 computers are run on windows 7 ultimate & 1 on windows 7 home, as its still in warranty.
Also run office 2010 on all the computers and if I ever get stuck trying to spell a word I just google it LOL

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:32 pm

shenton1 wrote:
Old Techo wrote:
G'day Brett,

Mad Techo

Hi Old Techo.
Once you have downloaded FF I think you will be asked to make it you default browser which will answer your question.
The "nearly 200 icons" would worry me. Do you need that many shortcuts? Most shortcuts are not necessary as the accompanied programme will open automatically. For instance if a pdf file comes in a email, the programme whether it be Acrobat reader or Foxit will open that pdf file without having a shortcut to it.
Other icons that are associated with a particular programme, can be all put into a file on your desktop. Example, I have one file with 5 shortcuts in it for my printer. Another file is for a upcoming trip to the USA.
I only have 6 icons on my desktop but that's me. Each to his own. I am trying not to be critical, however I just can't imagine a desktop with all those icons :rolleyes:

Regards Chris

G'day Chris,

I have been using FF as an IE8 comparison for a couple of years. In the early days the big thing about FF was it had tabs. I HATE tabs!!!! I use multiple monitors and want each of my browser sessions individually sized and positioned.

I have a swag of Icons coz I like it that way. I know very few do but I cannot explain their lack of imagination. Yes, I do consolidate common Icons in a single folder to save space and group them logically.

I appreciate that you are not being critical but merely expressing a view - and I thank you for that. I may be old and firm in my ways but I have been doing poota hardware maintenance and writing software for 37 years so have had enough exposure to both old and new to determine preferences. As the new minimises its bugs.... and remains backward compatible.... then I'm with you. In the meantime I will run multiple versions to best suit individual circumstances. So it's IE8, FF or Chrome as found best fit.

Regards

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next