View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Redclaw 

Post Redclaw
Need some tips on preparing redclaw and some recipes.....can anyone help?

Jock :?:

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Post Re: Redclaw
Jock,
Where did you get your Red Claw???

Jay&Dee

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Here are a few recipes I have collected over the last few years from various sources that I can no longer recall

RED CLAW RECIPES
Catching Redclaw - Get yourself a few yabby pots or bait traps, bait them up and throw them in the water (Check rules and regulations). You can use just about anything for bait including meat, vegetables, dog biscuits & cheese. Spread your pots out a bit and check them every couple of hours to make sure they are still baited. Relocate unsuccessful pots to depths and locations that are working.
Preparation For Cooking - Before cutting the crayfish or removing the tails put them on ice or in the fridge for an hour or two to put them to sleep. This will make preparation easier and it is a bit nicer for the yabbies. To remove the digested food track from the crayfish tails snap off the centre tail fin and pull the food trail out.
Cooking Redclaw Crayfish - There are numerous ways to cook up your catch. You can boil them up in salty water (depending on the dam the meat can be a bit chewy and taste a little muddy) or throw them straight on the hot coals in the traditional aboriginal way. I however would recommend one of two methods.
1. Remove the meat from frozen tails and make spring rolls, yabby cakes, curry crayfish, yabby laksa, garlic red claw, crumbed tails, bacon and cray skewers, marinated skewers, stir fry or sushi rolls.
2. Cut the crayfish in half lengthways, remove the organs and shell around the head, rinse, shake or pat dry with paper towel, marinate for 12 + hours in garlic and butter, sweet chilli sauce or satay sauce and cook on the hot plate or BBQ.
Redclaw Crayfish Recipes
Grilled Redclaw Serves 4 entrees
Ingredients: 1kg whole redclaw crayfish & 200ml Sauce
Method: Cut crayfish in half lengthways & clean in fresh water. Marinate with sweet chilli sauce, satay sauce or garlic, butter & fresh herbs for a couple of hours. Cook over medium heat until the shells become crunchy. Cook on a hotplate, BBQ, oven or grill. Serve with a fresh salad.

Bacon & Cray Skewers Serve as an entree, with a buffet, or with rice & grilled vegies.
Ingredients: 500g Red Claw tail meat, 500g bacon, 2 red capsicums, fresh pineapple pieces/ tin of pineapple slices, 16 skewers, onion slices (optional)
Method: Remove meat from Red Claw tails. Cut bacon into 10cm x 3cm strips and wrap around crayfish tail meat. Push onto skewers along with squares of capsicum & pineapple. Fry, BBQ, grill or bake until cooked.

Garlic Redclaw Serve 4 mains with boiled rice & salad.
Ingredients: 500g Cray tail meat, 3 cloves garlic/ 1 tablespoon minced garlic, oil, 200ml thickened cream, chicken stock
Method: Heat oil and garlic in a pan until smelling good. Crush stock cube and sprinkle over top, add cream & simmer for 5 minutes. Turn up the heat, add tail meat & cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat & allow to stand for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:15 am

Redclaw Recipe. Peel meat from redclaw tails, marinate in Paul Newmans Salad Dressing for about an hour, then cook on hotplate or frying pan til cooked through. :razz: ;-) Sol

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:04 pm

therodgersplace wrote:
Jock,

Jay&Dee

G'day J&D......If I told you...I'd have to kill you !!! :evil: :lol:

Seriously though....Haven't caught them yet..about to head down to the Snowy Mtns with the Kayaks for a month or so. On the way will be stopping at Chaffey Dam, Windamere Dam and Blowering, Jindabyne, Hume, Murray etc. etc.....Taking 1/2 doz. opera house pots to, hopefully, catch Red Claw, Blue Claw, Yabbies etc.
GregnSue and Sol..thanks for the response......Any Others?

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:15 am

jock wrote:
therodgersplace wrote:
Jock,

Jay&Dee

Seriously though....Haven't caught them yet..about to head down to the Snowy Mtns with the Kayaks for a month or so. On the way will be stopping at Chaffey Dam, Windamere Dam and Blowering, Jindabyne, Hume, Murray etc. etc.....Taking 1/2 doz. opera house pots to, hopefully, catch Red Claw, Blue Claw, Yabbies etc.

Jock,
Do you realise that Red Claw are vegetarian and Blue Claw are carnivorous meaning you will need two different baits?
What were you intending to use? I've heard baits ranging from Sunlight soap to dog biscuits and canned cat food, apples and potato.
glanyard

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 am

Glanyard
Yes Red claw will take virtually anything that looks like food.
Rock Melons Pawpaw and they just love potatoes & pumpkins, but must be half cook. ( Fussy little bliters)
Dog food you name it.
We will be heading up to Gayndyah region in early March for the Red Claw and Golden Perch. Hope that stock is available after the pounding the region got from the recent floods.
Next week going to Darlington Park ( No R/C there.) sputh east of Beaudesert or perhaps Laidley Lake Dyer. Laidley suffered a huge loss due to the floods.
You can take as many R/C as you wish, and yes!!! you are not allowed to throw them back in the dams.
Also I think you are only allowed 4 nets per person.
The Somerset Dam about 100 or more klms from Brisbane produces catches of well in excesss of 1000, but this style of catch is only acheived by have a small boat and going to the outer reaches of the dam.
I will throw a R/C on the bush Barbie for you all.
Jay&Dee

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:26 pm

glanyard wrote:
jock wrote:
therodgersplace wrote:
Jock,

Jay&Dee

Jock,
Do you realise that Red Claw are vegetarian and Blue Claw are carnivorous meaning you will need two different baits?
What were you intending to use? I've heard baits ranging from Sunlight soap to dog biscuits and canned cat food, apples and potato.
glanyard

G'day Glanyard...
Yes there are all sorts of weird and wonderful baits which seem to work....The ones I'll be initially trying will be the Sunlight soap, 1/2 cooked spuds with the jacket on and rock melon (Cantelope)....Have caught heaps of good yabbies in the Murray with mince meat.
Would like to learn more about preparing them for eating....i.e shelling, cleaning, marinating etc. etc.

Jock :)

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Jock,
Do you know how to prepare them; kill and clean?
glanyard

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 pm

glanyard wrote:
Jock,
Do you know how to prepare them; kill and clean?
glanyard

No Glanyard...That's some of the info I was hoping to get.

Jock :)

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next