View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Membership to the forum 

Post Membership to the forum
I have just been looking at the membership and it amazed me the amount f
members who have joined since its inception and never placed a post on the forum or indeed even joined in any of the discussion. I wonder why they are still members, surely if they are not interested in any of the discussion they should be removed by admin.
What are other members opinion or thoughts on thos matter.
It also amazes me the number of people who have joined and fail to put a location etc in the margin. It is handy when asking for something or help from someone that they know your location. Not compulsory but would be handy.

Hank

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:36 pm

Post Re: Membership to the forum
Hi Hank,

A lot of people join because there are areas in some forums that you cannot see (read) unless you join.

There are also forums that do not display pictures / photo's unless you join.

So I suppose people are after information and may not feel they can contribute with their own expertise.

It doesn't bother me, but we may be missing out on some great expertise or even some cheeky banter. :mrgreen:

Cheers

Mazda BT50 GT with full Canopy
Paramount Vogue 21' 6"

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Hank,
I agree about people not wanting to give their state/area; in some instances we can't help those who won't give us that info.
As far as banning/removing people for not posting; I think that is unfair. It would be no loss to us whether they come or go and as "sleepers", you just never know when they might pop up and tell us something we didn't know. I'm sure a lot enjoy the cheeky banter that Muzz is talking about; I certainly do.
glanyard

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Hank

Being on a number of forums, the largest type of member visits but rarely or never posts. Why delete them? They may come on to find out something, then go touring for two years, or may be reading every day. I know some people will set up a log in and forget and/or never visit again, but it serves no purpose for Admins to spent their time checking for these and removing any members.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:37 pm
Profile WWW

I don't like giving too much personal information on any internet site, no matter for what purpose it is for, so I rarely give where I am from etc. I also must say that I have had a huge, and I mean huge, lot of information for my interest in camping and what to look out for and buy when setting up my motorhome. I have only done two trips in it so far which means a big, big learning curve for me and knowing what I can and cannot do. I now have the most enjoyable job of looking of where I can go when I get to seeing more of this big brown land of Oz. So those appearing not to use the forum, may be missing out, but I sure am not. I do only check out what actually interests me on a personal level though. Faye

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:50 pm

There is no need for any further information than already given Faye.
The only reason I suggested deleting some of the ones that had not posted was that I was looking for someone and as you just get to choose the first letter of their user name it took quite some time to find because of the zero posters. Not a big issue, just having a bit of a whinge.
I notice on the other forum details such as make of van and car as well as partners name, dont have to follow that one but information than can be helpful.

Hank

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Also possible as in my case joined and posted and than the forum server had a hissy fit and the admin's solution was for me to rejoin as they could not get the old log in to work :oops:

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Motherhen wrote:
Hi Hank

Being on a number of forums, the largest type of member visits but rarely or never posts. Why delete them? They may come on to find out something, then go touring for two years, or may be reading every day. I know some people will set up a log in and forget and/or never visit again, but it serves no purpose for Admins to spent their time checking for these and removing any members.

I agree.

Maybe they are that impressed by the standard of the people on the forum, so they just read, don't comment. :lol:

Or they think, its a bunch of jokers, up themselves, let's get out of here. :lol:

Maybe they have sold the van or lost interest in camping. :(

Maybe they have deceased and gone to the big camping ground in the sky. If i kick the bucket one day, no one on the forum will know. But my epitaph will be written in my posts forever. :lol:

They know when we post on the forum and they know when we are on the forum just looking , do they keep tabs on when we just look, somebody may just look and never post.

Hans

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Yes Hans, and I am sure that they are in all those categories. I do meet a number of travellers who join a forum and read it, but lack to confidence to make a post - a bit like I lack the confidence to stand up and speak in front of a group of people. Some feel they have nothing to offer but learn by reading, and some see the criticism on some posts and back off the idea of posting.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:07 pm
Profile WWW

I can't blame folks for not wanting to comment.
But the fault of not knowing even just a state where the applicant lives, is in the hands of the admin.

Through a process of getting used to a forum, most eventually see this as not a threat, but it takes time.

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next