View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Off Road Caravan Construction 

Post Off Road Caravan Construction
I am in the process of looking for an Off Road Caravan.

The more I look at different caravans the more the line becomes blurred.

Frame construction?

Timber vs Aluminium

Can a true off road caravan be built with a timber frame?

My Photo's
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/mowog

My Blog
http://mowogman.wordpress.com

Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE. Long range aux tank, Kaymar Rear Bar
21' Lotus Trackvan Extreme. (Arriving soon)

Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 am

Have a look at the Bushtracker site - a mass of information that may be of help to you. If timber framing is so good for managing stress why is it not still used for aircraft construction?..... and it does not rot either
John

Fri May 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Wood can manage stress fairly well. Aluminium was used in aircraft to save weight. Caravans don't need to fly. Aluminium is now giving way to carbon fiber and other space age materials in aircraft.

Aircraft and Caravans are different creatures with different design requirements.

Don't get me wrong here my preference would be for an aluminium frame which is why I currently own a Coromal 615.

The Mosquito stands out as an impressive airframe made from timber as does the Spruce Goose.

My Photo's
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/mowog

My Blog
http://mowogman.wordpress.com

Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE. Long range aux tank, Kaymar Rear Bar
21' Lotus Trackvan Extreme. (Arriving soon)

Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Mowog, there is no simple answer as to which is the best because there are many variables beside the material. There are advantages for both and similarly weaknesses. Probably one of the most significant aspects relate to the design quality and manufacturing quality applied to the end product - an off Road van. A well designed wood frame which has been glued and screwed rather than just stapled can be as good as a fully welded well designed aluminium one. (an example in another sphere is the comparison of a fully laminated timber sailing yacht vs an aluminium one). If you are talking real "off Road" where the van is subjected to high torsional loads and extreme levels of torture from extreme tracks then the decision is more about the standard of the manufacturer and there are not that many to choose from. As a result reputation is the best pointer.

Of course if you are talking a dirt road van then the requirements become substantially lower and there are many more manufacturers and this is where it becomes very hard. If a manufacturer is not prepared to allow you to see how their vans are built then I would immediately question the end result. If you can visit the factory and ask questions the points I would be asking about would be the ability to withstand constant vibrations as this is what does most of the damage. If this is not your area of expertise then ask an engineer to assist after-all you are talking about a significant investment.

Good luck

Ian G.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Last edited by Shaggy Dog on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Vans can be made very well and professionally with wooden frames; Phoenix, a highly reputable builder uses wood frames.

That said, my preference is for an aluminium frame, and I have a Kedron Top Ender, a tough and reliable van.

In my humble opinion, top brands to look at are (not in any order) Phoenix, Kedron, Sunland, Trakmaster, and Bushtracker. All of these are reliable and tough vans, but with differing attributes.

You should visit a couple of factories and ask questions as you go, especially about after sales service and warranty honouring. Get a feel for how the customer is treated at the factory...this can be a guide for how you would be treated AFTER the sale.

Be especially wary if a builder's staff rubbish another brand. This is unprofessionalism of the highest order in my book. A builder should simply say "we do it this way for this reason", and leave the way others do things, to the alternative brand.
Chris

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Post tag&colleen grey nomads
mowog wrote:
I am in the process of looking for an Off Road Caravan.

The more I look at different caravans the more the line becomes blurred.

Frame construction?

Timber vs Aluminium

Can a true off road caravan be built with a timber frame?

better with aluminium much lighter and stronger termites wont eat it

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:12 pm

There are some manufactures now using composite materials with minimal framework, due to the structural strenght of the panels.

could check them out as they are in Qld- true custom builds.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:07 am

In my humble opinion, top brands to look at are (not in any order) Phoenix, Kedron, Sunland, Trakmaster, and Bushtracker. All of these are reliable and tough vans, but with differing attributes.

You should visit a couple of factories and ask questions as you go, especially about after sales service and warranty honouring. Get a feel for how the customer is treated at the factory...this can be a guide for how you would be treated AFTER the sale.

Chris

Hi Mowog,

Chrisval summed up the market offering for Off Road Vans very well.

If you follow the above quoted advice you will not go wrong.

One must pay for a true off road van with a proven pedigree.

A factory visit is a must to get a feeling of how the van is built and the people behind the product.

Cheers,

Crusader MK2

Safe travels and keep smiling

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 am

Pretty easy to figure out an answer. Any big box on wheels is going to flex and should be designed to handle the flexing. Especially if it is going to be subjected to rough roads and tracks.

As everybody knows, aluminium flexes and will accommodate any stresses involved. That's why aircraft need no airframe inspections or maintenance. Timber, as everybody also knows, suffers from timber fatigue, and so is not suited to off-road travel.

Simple really. Isn't it? ;)

Michael

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next