View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 RVMAA – combine all questions for answers 

Post RVMAA – combine all questions for answers
This issue started back in March and some posts raised questions and mentioned complaints.Why not compile a list of these questions and complaints and ask the RVMAA to respond on all forums that it is a member of? My comments on this Association’s March post are listed below.
The RACV & NRMA advertise products they sell – insurance,roadside service etc. Most "Associations" and "Societies"(virtually unions)covering police,doctors,engineers,lawyers etc. do NOT advertise.You never see a warning advertisement to look for a membership logo on the door of a medical centre – "Do NOT consult this Doctor unless you see the AMA membership logo on the front of the entrance door!"
Question: Does the RVMAA contribute funds to any TV channel to promote its logo badge?Each week on Channel 7 Coxy’s Break, there is always a brief promo about a caravan – "Only buy a caravan or Motorhome with the RVMAA badge. This badge is the manufacturer’s assurance (guarantee)that the unit complies with all the regulations…"
Question: Does such TV advertising discriminate unfairly against non-members whose units could well be of equal or better quality than RVMAA members?
Question: Wouldn’t any reasonable person consider such TV advertising as RVMAA involvement
by association in "marketing activity" of its Members?
Question: does the RVMAA use this logo TV advertising to in any way pressure manufacturers
to join?
Compliance audits: How many staff members on the audit team – 1,2,4 or 6+? How often are such audits carried out? What manufacturers’ names have been audited over the past 2 years?(Or is the answer to this question "commercial confidence"?)
Has the RVMAA corresponded with VicRoads & other State Registration Authorities and the Department of Infrastructure & Transport in Canberra voicing its concerns about "unlawful registrations", " lethal non-compliances with ADRS & AS" NOT being actioned for recalls?
Does the RVMAA handbook contain any maintenance details specific to Motorhomes? Does the RVMAA hear ALL the complaints about its members? How does the RVMAA know the number of genuine complaints is small? How many complaints has the RVMAA been made aware of in the past 2 years?
There are many reasons,too numerous to mention here,why consumers do NOT resort to litigation so this RVMAA generalisation is rather misleading.
What current average blanket % level of compliance by its members does the RVMAA estimate
today – 70%, 80%?
What specific advice if any does the RVMAA provide for consumers or the public in general apart from promoting its logo badge & Handbook?
petle: What action does the RVMAA take when alerted to a member’s ADR or AS failures?
Do all RVMAA Members provide a detailed "non-prescribed" 240V listing of items installed and work done?
dieseltojo: Does the RVMAA advise its members of "better quality practices",eg better front boot designs to stop leaks? Is the RVMAA aware many manufacturers do NOT install refrigerators correctly according to the Refrigerator manufacturer’s instructions or even completely and effectively seal the refrigerator recess(AS5601 failure)? Does the RVMAA stipulate ONLY Climate class T(tropical tested to 43C degrees)refrigerators be installed as the only one suitable for Australia-wide performance? Does the RVMAA regularly advise Members about weights/tares etc. and NOT expect its Handbook to be the sole reference?
Has the RVMAA tasted glanyard’s raspberries yet?
Buddie: The RVMAA advertises & promotes itself to the consumer and public in general.Has it (RVMAA)ever at anytime supported an aggrieved consumer in any legal action against one of its Members?
LPG: Is the RVMAA aware of any member whose main LPG piping run (from the cylinder compartment to areas beneath appliances) is NOT "outside the caravan or Motorhome"?
AS5601 states this must be so for checking, maintenance,repairs and safety etc. is the
RVMAA aware of any member whose Truma HWS Boiler flue is closer than 500mm to an opening window? Truma manufacturer installation brochure states their flue must NOT be below a window or even near one!! Is the RVMAA aware of any members failing to comply with the distance clearance required between LPG cylinder compartment drains and "sources of ignition" in caravans/Motorhomes? There must be "some" around. Refer to EnergySafe Victoria’s website –www.esv.vic.gov.au/Gas-Professionals/Technical-info-sheets-for-gasfitters. Gas Information Sheet No.29,dated 2-6-2011 mentions "some caravan manufacturers"(and by AS5601 definition this includes Motorhomes)are failing to comply with the abovementioned clearance requirement from sources of ignition(or openings into same).

Any other questions members would like to submit to the RVMAA for answers?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Post Re: RVMAA – combine all questions for answers
G’day Bazza,

I think that if the list is added to, and compiled correctly, then drafted into a nice polite letter of request to the RVMAA, then members of the forum/s could forward a copy to their local members of parliament so that the RV public can have there concerns heard, and to also highlight the need that the RV industry be placed under government regulation.

I believe that this industry needs to be regulated to not only protect the RV consumers, but also the public that have to travel/share the roads and camp near many unsafe RV’s.

In NSW you get a pink slip for rego, (check brakes and Lights/stop tail, blinkers etc…) BUT what about the 240volt system, the gas system, etc….

I believe that these need to be tested and inspected at the same time and pass to be issued a pink slip each year.

Cheers,

PeterM.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 pm

peterm wrote:
G’day Bazza,

I think that if the list is added to, and compiled correctly, then drafted into a nice polite letter of request to the RVMAA, then members of the forum/s could forward a copy to their local members of parliament so that the RV public can have there concerns heard, and to also highlight the need that the RV industry be placed under government regulation.

I believe that this industry needs to be regulated to not only protect the RV consumers, but also the public that have to travel/share the roads and camp near many unsafe RV’s.

In NSW you get a pink slip for rego, (check brakes and Lights/stop tail, blinkers etc…) BUT what about the 240volt system, the gas system, etc….

I believe that these need to be tested and inspected at the same time and pass to be issued a pink slip each year.

Cheers,

PeterM.

Agree with the above..All caravan and motorhome manufacturers and importers need to be Govt. controlled. Normally, I dont like the ‘over-regulation’ that seems to be a part of modern day living but, in this case, there are serious safety issues and the RVMAA are just not doing the job and, in any case, being a member and abiding by their standards is not compulsory.
There are other ‘Toothless Tigers’ like the MTAQ in the motor industry and the BSA (I think) in the building industry….just as bad as the RVMAA…One wonders if their existance is just to provide employment for their staff :rolleyes:

Jock :neutral:

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:58 am

To: Jock and Peterm. I have taken some matters of concern up with the Federal Government. There are serious non-compliances around in both Caravans and Motorhomes and the Manufacturers’ Association is there for no reason at all in my opinion. I strongly disagree with the advertising of the metal logo as the be all / end all of compliance with all ADRS and all Australian Standards. A friend of mine is still waiting for a reply from Martin Ferguson (FED.MP) about LPG safety in Caravans & Motorhomes.
PS: How does one contact members via messages for email addresses etc.?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:33 pm

G’day Bazza,

Send the person a PM and ask them reply with their Email address.

Cheers,

PeterM.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi Bazza,
I don’t know if your litany of complaint was hard to write, but it sure is hard to read. A lot of serious issues I would say, mixed in with comments regarding strawberries?
Cut it in half and condense it down to the main points of contention. I have to say that long novels are hard to get to grips with.
No offence intended.

Sorry but if you can’t give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi, I sent an email to Colin at RVMAA via another forum in regards to electrical compliance and he said they have to comply with the LPG and electrical requirements of state and territories as per AS3000/1 and 5601. How many builders do not have qualified electricians and how many owners have been handed an Electrical certificate as required. I have had two new vans in the past three years and have not seen any electrical compliance certificate, and these were from RVMAA members .Audit what bloody audits!!
Cheers Doug

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:07 pm

raspberries, Diesel, raspberries!
glanyard

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:20 pm

glanyard wrote:
raspberries, Diesel, raspberries!
glanyard

So is that all secret code; Sorry but Me no comprehend. :lol:

Sorry but if you can’t give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Post why doesn’t the RVMAA deal with this problem
What is the industry association going to do about unscupulous manufacturers who trade until the receivers move in then start up under a new name leaving creditors and customers on the lurch. I have had warranty claim with one such manufacturer who wont answer telephone calls. When you do get through they are evasive, promise the world, then don’t answer or return calls. I get the feeling that they are once again one step ahead of the receivers. This can’t be good for the industry, surely they can be more active on exposing these manufactures so that suppliers and customers can rest easy.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next