View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 To CMCA or not... 

Post To CMCA or not...
Camped for a week alongside a huge motorhome,very down to earth and friendly couple.

Had many discussions ,solved lots of earths problems and discussed CMCA in depth.

Seems EVERYONE joins CMCA for the cheap insurance,its supposedly outstanding then he says "And,you get a magazine every month" LOL.

So,Is it REALLY worth the Moderate Joining fee [$40 im told] just so you qualify to buy the insurance?

Ive looked at the policy and what the good points cover on the CMCA website and some of it is far better than my existing policy.

He SWEARS Black & Blue All Vanners etc etc are welcome to join,get the insurance but the down side is we cant attend certain group field meetups

Any opinions Please? Good or bad.

TY.

Rod

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:09 am

$44 a year plus $16.50 joining fee.
Also a good members only forum full of techo stuff ,and well worth the annual fee.

www.cmca.net.au

When webpage comes up click on insurance in header bar.

NOTE they will only insure van & tow vehicle not just van.
but still a pretty good deal compared to the normal van insurers.
Al.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:34 pm

we joined CMCA although not for the insurance, the hand book supplied is very handy for camp sites etc and you get a 10% discount on CMCA camp grounds as well as discounts from some retailers, the wanderer magazine is also an intersting read

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:04 pm

he gave us a old copy of the wanderrer to read.
certainly great and full of info.

Cheers Rod

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:08 pm

We have been members of CMCA for many years. The website has great info and links and the club members get discounts. The Wanderer, the club's monthly mag, is a great read with lots of info that apply to caravans as well. They have two Rallys per year and they are very well attended and because there are a lot of participants the CMCA can organise really good trade exhibitions, talks and lectures. It would be great to be able to participate.

What I dislike about CMCA members is their bias and bigotry against caravan owners. Many editions of the Wanderer 'letters' section carry letters from an ex-members complaining that now that they have moved from a qualifying vehicle i.e. a motorhome or campervan to a caravan they are no longer welcome in the CMCA.

People who do not own a 'qualifying vehicle' i.e. a campervan, motorhome or 5th Wheeler may become associate members of the CMCA (paying full membership fees) but associate members cannot vote in CMCA elections and it follows that they cannot hold any CMCA office. Further, and this is what really rubs me, is that associate members can only attend ONE rally EVER during their membership. I have never attended a rally and I will never do so. It is a shame because we all aspire to the same lifestyle, we all travel and have so many things in common. Its just that some people to tow and others do not. Why is it because I choose to tow a caravan I am somehow inferior. Even if my feelings are not accurate my perception is.

Some years ago there was a motion put to the CMCA to allow caravan owners to 'come out of the closet' and play a greater role in the club. I followed the campaign in the Wanderer and frankly I was disgusted at some of the comments and perceptions.

So although I am an associate member of the CMCA I take advantage of the website I cannot fully participate in the Club. If you are satisfied with merely being an associate member the CMCA is a great club to join.

Cheers

GeorgeK

[color=#0040FF]2010 Land Rover Discovery (D4)
2010 Roma Elegance 22'6" (Delivery Sep 10)

Retirement indulgences and ready to go from Jan 2011[/color]

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:20 pm

I have also been a CMCA member since 2002.
I don't go to rallies because we like doing our own thing.
I don't go to chapter meetings for the same reasons.
I don't belong to a chapter for the same reasons.
I don't want to be an office bearer.
I don't use the Insurance because I like to pay monthly.
I don't hold a bias to caravans or their owners.
I don't care what you drive , tow, push, or even carry a swag when you're out there doing what you do.
I certainly don't class anyone as being as you say "Inferior"
I do like friendly forums such as this and others where caravan & motorhomers mix in.
I do care to share a campfire and whatever you drink, eat, talk about, without any bias what so ever.
A well known signature line used by a CMCA member says it all....
It ain't the box , it's the people.
Al.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:15 pm

Post To Be Or Not To Be
Well said Al,
It the people, NOT the RV they get around in.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:13 am

No different from the Australian Caravan Club George.

And yes it's the people not the accomodation

"Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity" [SIZE="1"]R. Heinlein: Time Enough For Love[/SIZE]

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Post what the
Sorry i am blonde .i don't understand insurance what insurance i thought its only a chat forum site .and is there a magazine??? getting handed out monthly .i am lost

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 pm
Profile YIM

The CMCA is the Campervan & Motorhome Club of Australia and has no association with this forum which is administered by the Caravan & Motorhome Magazine.
There is also a national club for caravanners.
It's the Australian Caravan Club (ACC) www.australiancaravanclub.com.au which has a loose association with the CMCA and other RV groups as a lobbing organisation to try and improve the rights and facilities for all RV'ers.
ozjohn.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next