View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Updated yellow ribbon LIST 

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
What about keeping it to the van, yellow patch top corner driver's side, BUT where to get the yellow sticky patch most "contact" these days is only good for covering books, and about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike when it comes to sticking it to anything else.

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Sun May 10, 2009 7:53 am

G'day Frank & Brenda, thanks for your reply,
I threw that suggestion in as my idea only. The reason being that other members have said how they wave even without the van, and get no response at all (as you would expect).

Any and all ideas/suggestions are welcome, it's not up to me to make any decision on this. Let's wait and see any other opinions or suggestions come in.
Re the yellow tape, you may well be right, I have never looked for any!

Regards, Terry

Sun May 10, 2009 9:22 am

Here's one from gurky on another thread (posted at 5:30AM!! Crikey!) ;

Hi Ruffnut. What about a yellow patch in the front top left hand corner of the 'van? Most 'vans are white and because it is higher it would be easier to pickup.

My thought, top right of van might be better?
Should we start a new thread on this Mist?

Regards, Terry

Sun May 10, 2009 9:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rredbeak

One comment,on the way down i was watching vans oncoming to us and you only get a split second to spot a ribbon,and near impossible to use your rearview mirror to check its back handle as it rockets past.

The REAR is EASY cause we have an agreed spot on the drivers rear handle ,but, on the front of the car can we set a specific spot please?? Will make spotting SO MUCH easier.

Cheers.. Rod

Good point Rod,

To make it visible & recognisable to oncoming traffic it will probably need to be a little larger than what's utilised on the rear - ribbon/Velcro/duct tape size.

Perhaps a triangle - for shape - distinctive but not a common sight on RV's, yellow naturally & possible made from duct tape. At least 6"/15cm sides would probably be needed to make it identifieable from a distance.

As far as the tow tugs are concerned, if you'd care to put one on there as well, then a smaller 3"/7.5cm triangle of the same material in the middle of the screen, directly in front/behind (depending on your perspective) of the rear vision mirror. Out of the way & not likely to cause any visual problems.

My MH has a bull bar & I will put some duct tape in the centre horizontal section - so that it does not reflect back when the lights are on.

Chuck

My 2c worth.

Blue Mountains

Sun May 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi gang, regarding the yellow tape .... I was taken shopping today ( and I love it so much!)
In BigW, in the hardware / paint supplies section, I bought a roll of yellow tape (Raaf talk ... 100mph tape) for the princely sum of $4.26.
It is 48mm wide by 4.5 mtrs long.
For our civvy population, 100mph tape is the "stick-like-poo-to-a-blanket" stuff, fibre reinforced, you can't tear it, will not wash, blow or fall off!

Regards, Terry

Sun May 10, 2009 7:25 pm

Ruffnut, I meant the top left hand corner of the van as we look at it from the front - over your right shoulder if you're driving. That way we don't have to take our eyes too far off the centre of the road when driving at speed.

As for the 5.30 am post. I get up at 5.00 every morning and the body clock just won't switch-off over the weekend.

Cheers...

Sun May 10, 2009 7:42 pm

We plan to pick up the van from Kalgoorlie this weekend where I abandoned it a few weeks back.

Put us on the list, whats the message, paint a metre wide yellow GT stripe front to rear on the van?

Will you settle for a bit of ribbon?

Must away and back to work, had my moment of freedom.

Take it easy.
SD

Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Mon May 11, 2009 10:26 pm

please put us on the list, karen& greg.Sold up, leaving for a full time trip in july

Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 pm

Wed May 13, 2009 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next