View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 PICS OF UNSUNG INVENTIONS AND IDEAS 

Post Re: PICS OF UNSUNG INVENTIONS AND IDEAS
This is a simple shower pump set up using the elcheapo $25-00 shower head .These cheap showers usually don’t last more than a year in my experience, but my good friend came up with this solution.
Keep the shower rose head and main tubing from the cheap unit, and attach it to a decent marine bilge pump. This was around $40-00 and is an 800 g/ph unit. It is also designed to be under water. If the caravan pump should ever fail this is a great back up.
Or if by a river and you have plenty of water this outfit can be employed right in the vans shower area and you will always have a hot shower. It saves van water and means if the water is cloudy, it doesn’t have to go into the tank. I prefer to carry a small golf buggy battery and then it is completely portable
We once camped with a young family in Longreach who had an electric flow through hot tap fitted and when they fired up their 2 KV Honda it did not have the power to give them hot water. I lent them this as it runs with low power off any 12 volt supply and gave them their first hot shower in a week.
We always have a camp fire going and some hot water mixed into cold in an 8 gal bucket is enough for a shower. If the ladies are doing their hair just get a bigger bucket.
Because this shower is a great back up to the vans hot water system, I installed an extra 12 volt outlet on the bench near the shower. So now we don’t need to hunt for a power point.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 pm

This shows the whole outfit .The whole thing as about 2.4 meters (8ft) long

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:20 pm

An in line switch is good for control. some of the cheap showers even include them. Crock clips are handy for quick connection to a battery.

Please only post pics with ideas.
The comments thread without pics is here,
http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8222

Last edited by dieseltojo on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Post Spurn the spanna
I posted this idea nearly a year ago. Now I've added a pic.

To remove a gas bottle I have seen many using a spanner and monotonously turning the clamp nut a half-turn at a time till all the tension comes off the clamping bracket. I find it far quicker to use multigrips (large pliers) just to squeeze the clamp a fraction tighter then the loose clamp nut can be spun off with fingers in 3 seconds. Reverse the process for tightening. No need for a spanner at all.

The gas bottle clamp gave me the doodooes the first couple of times so I figured there had to be a better way and thought 'if only I could squeeze the clamp'. You just need some common sized multigrips that open to a couple of inches or so. Put on a bit of plastic tube (shown white) or wrap some electrical tape for soft jaws if worried about scratches.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:55 pm

This is not a new idea but perhaps the shape is. I've just fitted 3 x 5 metre lengths of 50 mm pipe for sullage hose storage. Also 1 length of 40 mm pipe for my antenna mast. Whilst in the design stage I thought it would be good to have the pipe ends upturned by 150 mm. This would make them easier to reach and easier to load i.e. pushing in the sullage hose would be initially downhill. To bend the pipes I used a heat gun.

I drilled 20 mm drainage holes in the bottom of each pipe at 1 metre centres. The pipes are supported by brackets at similar separation.

I've resisted this concept as I made a hose reel 6 years ago for rolling up the sullage, water hose and power lead. The whole reel pivots out for easy access. I will continue to use it but now only for water and power.

Attachment:
pipe.jpg

Attachment:
pipes.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi every one, This previously posted.
I thought I would get a wheel base plate so that the jockey wheel will not move and also have a larger bearing area. Problem is that I couldn’t find one that readily takes a 10 inch wheel.

On most occasions I just use the standard flat steel base plate with a bit of marine ply to make a bigger footprint, but since installing a caravan mover, I thought it is easier to leave the big wheel on and utilise a decent base plate. These things are usually in the $10.00 range and most folk would just buy one.

But due to the size of my wheel (10 inches), I decided to make one. So having a 10 inch diameter saw, I just marked out a bit of scrap cedar pine and simply kept cutting grooves until I had the right width. Easy really, and took 15 minutes. I drilled a three quarter inch hole in it for drainage as well. It took longer to give it a couple of coats of Estapol than to actually make it.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Re: Jockey wheels and things
Here is the way it fits,

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:58 pm

A year ago I posted this in response to a thread about accidents and insurance claims re deploying awning legs.

I object to my insurance premiums rising through carelessness. With my awning I never extend it more than just enough to set the top arms. This is about 50% of the awning reach. On odd occasions I detach and deploy 1 or both awning legs. I've only done this since I made special brackets to nail the legs to the deck. The brackets are designed to allow 2 steel pegs, about 14 inches long, to be driven in at 90 degrees to each other, thus virtually impossible to pull straight up. The awning leg sits on a threaded stud and held by a nut. Even with this ground anchor I still run guys. If there is the slightest risk of a good wind overnight I roll up the awning rather than have a sleepless night.

The bracket and pegs
Attachment:
anchor1.jpg

How the pegs would look in the ground
Attachment:
anchor2.jpg

Close up
Attachment:
anchor3.jpg

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7