View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Unsung Inventions and Ideas 

Post Unsung Inventions and Ideas
Hi every one, I PM’ed Ad min on this idea but have had no reply, so I will fly it any way.
With the changes caused by the modernising of the forum not only have we lost good members, but also many good caravanning and camping inventions that were posted by members in the past.
I am talking of stuff we can copy off each other, like van improvements, tools or additions to our camping gear, Cooking equip, creation of implements, correct fridge venting, brake repairs, etc, etc. It is a bit discouraging that we lost a lot of info, as first you put the stuff into photo bucket, do a write up, and now it’s all gone. That’s life, and we have moved on. But as thinking person’s we can still do things to make the system work better.
I propose the above thread titled “Pics of unsung inventions and ideas” be for these types of caravan improvements and MUST contain a picture or series of pics, to go with the text or explanation of the idea.
Also that WE DO NOT COMMENT ON ANYBODY’S THREAD or how good we think anything is.
Instead, those comments could go into this existing “Bright Ideas” thread area.
This would create a great thread where all the good stuff could be more easily accessed. The idea is not new, but if you look at other sites that have something similar, you will be met with very little in pics and explanations, and lots of off topic congrats, yes, I like it too’s, and why do you bother’s.
In short you have to trawl through many pages for little actual info. After all, verbal tips etc can still go into the Bright Ideas area as well as comments or proposed improvements to the topic.
If this is pleasing to you, the forumites maybe the admin can give it its own spot in the headings and keep it handy for the benefit of all members to add their ideas, and new comers to the forum. Then it can always be forwarded if ever alterations to the forum are made.
I will kick it off with a barby I made which is fully adjustable for height, and also can be swung out of the fire. Previously posted but lost. Even if already posted good inventions can be resurrected and be accessible to all in one area.

the proposed thread is here,
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8223&p=86109#p86109

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:55 am

Post Re: Unsung Inventions and Ideas
Quot from Diesel
Post Re: PICS OF UNSUNG INVENTIONS AND IDEAS
Goddamnit DT, I wish you hadn't started this topic.

I told the bride last night that I am not making any more contraptions to take bush with us and now I'm gunna have to spend most of today building another one.

Absolutely brilliant mate. diesel 8-)Quote

Thanks mate trying to keep the thread just for inventions but it may not work,Keeping all these retirees busy. :lol: Every body welcome to submit their inventions and good ideas.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:54 am

Smokeydk,
That is pretty good,Often that's all we need. I made a little step to get into the van,
with a similar design.I must find the pic.

Diesel,I reckon we will need a trailer behind the van to tow all the junk. :lol:

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks.........its big enough to hold a camp oven and campfire kettle....when packed down doesnt take up much space.........I put a primus BBQ plate on top to cook over hot coals

Dave

NP Pajero towing 2010 Goldstream Mini Caravan

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:19 am

Interesting idea. Mike...do you still use center bar goes from van to roller for awning deflaper??

Dave

NP Pajero towing 2010 Goldstream Mini Caravan

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:35 pm

Smokeydk wrote:
Interesting idea. Mike...do you still use center bar goes from van to roller for awning deflaper??

Dave

Hi Dave

I've never used an awning tension rafter/centre support - it's been suggested to me that they can be detrimental to the awning particularly in hot weather (can cause stretching).

My personal preference is also to make things as simple and easy as possible too.

Cheers.

Mike

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi all,
Just posted a fold down table in the 'PICS OF UNSUNG INVENTIONS AND IDEAS ' section.

No way could I find it with a search.Keep find you good pics of inventions and posting them there.It is all good info .

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:58 pm

HI OT,
That idea with the quick install reversing mirror is clever. And we all have the remnants of past mirrors that can easily be made into your idea.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks DT,

Clever goes with the job. I come from an old school of techos that had to work completely alone in remote and isolated places. Couldn't happen these days due OH&S. This necessitated developing techniques for doing everything solo. That is how I've always been. I'm quite happy to have some help but usually it is never available at the moment I want it... hence the DIY. Whilst I'm hitching up the cook is doing other important prep and not lounging about yelling at me.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
Post Re: PICS OF UNSUNG INVENTIONS AND IDEAS
DT, that heater looks good and by your reports works just as well, no good for us with the old van, as it doesn't have a water heater (except the old bucket on the choofer) but for those with awater heater it looks like a cheap way to heat the place up.

OT that mirror reversing thing looks good, I'll have to see if I can put my invention (wel copy anyway) up and give you some competition :lol: .
Frank

Sorry I put this in the wrong thread :oops: :oops: I had 2 windows open at the time :oops: :oops:
Forgive Egor mathter

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next