View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 CB Radio Install Without Drilling Holes 

Post CB Radio Install Without Drilling Holes
Hi there,

I hate drilling holes in my vehicles to fit accessories, as they are too hard to disguise or repair if accessories need to be removed or replaced.

I have mounted my CB Radio by this method in my last three Four Wheel Drives.

The bracket is made from a steel bracket from the hardware store with an extra arm made from aluminium strip.

The bracket is mounted off a seat mounting bolt with a High Tensile Steel bolt with an "Allen Head", makes it a little harder for thieves.

The radio is also mounted into the bracket with Allen Head screws.

The radio is plugged into the Cigarette Lighter Socket.

When on the move, the mic is left in the centre console for easy access.

By mounting in this manner, no holes are drilled, the radio can be removed or re-fitted in minutes, as we often only have it fitted when travelling, a hand held unit is quite adequate around town.

And "The Navigator" has a handy place to keep her maps.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/tartrekka/CBRADIOBRACKET001.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/tartrekka/CBRADIOBRACKET002.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/tartrekka/CBRADIOBRACKET003.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/tartrekka/CBRADIOBRACKET004.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/tartrekka/CBRADIOBRACKET005.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/tartrekka/CBRADIOBRACKET006.jpg

You may wish to consider this method of fitting your CB radio, sure saves drilling or cutting holes in Dash Boards or consoles.

[size=150][color=#0000FF]Any day above the ground is a great day[/color][/size]

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Post Mounting CB in 100 series
Tar Trekker,

Good idea, but…

You only need multigrips/pliers to grab the head of an allen key and undo it. You would be better off with countersunk bolts in tamper proof torx or star type configurations. That way the thieves have to come very prepared.

Also the vibrations will kill the electronics as it is only mounted at one point and your bracket has a long amplifying effect for these harmonics by the time it gets to the CB. Corrugations will shake it to bits.

Tar trekker I am not trying to hang it on you, just trying to make the idea better as it is a very good idea.

What about two brackets, one on each side of the CB from each of the seat mounting bolts and the CB mounted almost under the seat out of sight? You could probably mount it to the seat slides itself so it moves back and forward with the seat and so the CB sits out just nicely. Perfect if you have the controls/channel indicators etc in the mic or head unit.

Quote - I hate drilling holes in my vehicles, as they are too hard to disguise or repair if accessories need to be removed or replaced.

I pondered this very thing when I went to mount the CB in my new 100 series TD GXL.
Looked at every spot and every angle and then low and behold I took off the middle seat drink/cup holders which are at the lower back of the centre console and in underneath the console was an empty cradle specifically made for the purpose. It was all pre drilled with dozens of holes and the CB fitted exactly as if it was made to order. It must be there for an option in upper level models of the 100 series. I could not believe my luck as it was perfect for the split/remote head type CB I was fitting.

Just have to worry about the CB in deep river crossings now.

I have something that others may be interested in along these lines.
It is a mobile phone holder which I make and it mounts to existing vehicle pillar handles. Good if you do not have bluetooth in your tug.
I will take some pictures and post some photos next weekend.

Cheers
BUSTER

Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient.
When its finished WE retire.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Post Re Vibration & Theft
Hi Bussy,

I agree that vibration may be a problem, however the main part of the bracket is 25 mm X 5 mm steel & the weight of the radio is minimal.

Very little movement if I push on the bracket.

In three different vehicles over a period of nine years, I have not had a radio failure using this method of installation.

If the radio is installed under the seat, the standard lead on the mic is too short & needs to be extended & an extention speaker may be required.

The seat mounting screw needs to be hi tensile, that's the main reason for the 10 mm Allen Head screw which is tightened with a 10 inch rachet handle, very difficult to remove with pliers & I doubt thieves would carry Allen Keys.

However I shall take your advice & use Torq screws to secure the radio to the bracket.

PS It's a good idea not to put things under seats if you have Air Bags. A wayward street directory under the seat of my BMW damaged the wiring & it was quite expensive to replace.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:10 pm

In a GU Patrol without a passenger side airbag there is a really handy spot above the glovebox, where the airbag would be. There is a steel tube running across the inside of the dash which the remote part of a remote head radio can be bolted to using U bolts (or similar).

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm with you TT hate that drilling holes in a vehicle or boat . That's what convinced me to get the ICom 440 as it was the only one out at the time where all the talkie bits were in the hand mic and the black box bit was completely sealed against water and dust and designed to be mounted under the seats or in the back out of sight .

So easy to mount and completely out of sight, just disconnect the mic from the stick on connector box mounted under the dash or transmission tunnel and the mic goes in the GL box or with me . Apart from the stick bit outside there's nothing to say there is even a radio onboard

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:26 pm

We found a great spot under the steering column cover on our Prado. The mic has the channel scan on it anyway so all you see is the mic and the set is invisible.
We also hate holes all over the place. Be handy to get plastic clips that snap into a hole to cover it over when no longer needed.

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:30 am
Profile WWW

My local audio bloke uses double sided tape which works a treat .

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:37 am

Is the red coloured unit in the bracket the complete radio ?
If so please identify the brand for me & give a ball-park price,also from where to purchase same.
Looks like a neat small unit.

regards Jeff

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:42 am

My local audio bloke uses double sided tape which works a treat .

That could be hazardous in an accident, particularly a roll-over.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Post Re Radio Make & Model
Hi Solarpanel4,

The unit is a GME TX 3340.

The unit is small & all the controls are on the microphone.

Cost me $420-00, but I got mine when they were first released & like many things, the price may have fallen.

Info on all models at www.gme.net.au

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next