View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Annex or not - hubby and I can not agree 

Post Re: Annex or not - hubby and I can not agree
We have had an annexe with our last two vans but our new one we are only going to get the shadecloth type on the longwall of the annexe so it's open and easy...there is again this thing of only two of us...so it's all we need...Happy caravaning everyone... :razz:

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi there, :roll: why dont you get the lot! saves any arguments along the way, we started off with the full annex when we took delivery of our van, next we added the slide on shade cloth for those short, sun in your face days, then came the slide on shade on the other side of van, to stop the sun hitting the fridge and windows side,not to be without an entrance, we added the porch! problem was, where are we going to store all this when travelling or not in use.....problem solved! after attending a caravan show and saw a toolbox unerneath a van beautifuly positioned so as not to obtrude anywhere.. my practical husband made one to fit our van.best thing we ever did,
since then, we have travelled the block and the last 6 mths up north, where our daughter met up with us and slept in the annex.so she could have her own space..worked well and.was worth having all options for us, especially for long trips for different type of stays. ie caravan pks/free camps/relatives driveways etc........have a good trip! :lol:

[img][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/img]

100 series TD Landcruiser
23' Roma Elegance "The Van from Snowy River"

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Macbeth here - still no annex as yet but with all the rain we have had since we left home hubby has been getting his share of I told you so.
Now that the silly time is over we will try and get one made now.

Thanks for all the help :roll:

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 pm

Macbeth,
We have been travelling in this weather too. We have a full annex and in some weather we feel it is a huge investment. Some sites are very wet n windy and it is needed. Other places, we may only be stopping for a night or 2, so we only roll out the awning, if the weather gets wild, we might add the walls or just one wall. It really is nice to have the choice. Currently we are on a very big site with our kids and grandkids next door. So for privacy we have the front wall and side wall up, with the back wall missing. The grandkids are too young to manage the zippers and it's so lovely to have them visit in the mornings!
By having the annex walls up, we feel that we can put a bar fridge and our table and chairs outside without fear of theft etc.
Good luck with the travels and whatever you decide, it isn't like a permanent wall that you are wanting to add. You can choose when and if you use whichever configuration suits you at the time.
Deborah

When I remember to make the font bigger I'm not shouting, just visually challenged
Bright red Falcon with an Avan Erin Poptop behind.

See you on the long and winding road

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Wife insisted on the annexe whilst I really didn't want it. So we got it.

Absolutely hate having it. Means that it takes six times longer to setup and pack up. Pain if it rains and you have to pack it up wet then take it out and dry it later. Ours is still in the garage from November when I had to lay it out to dry.

All this is the mans job of course so no wonder wives like them. Also they are heavy and bulky. Ours was also costly at a couple of grand. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Hope she won't realise it is still in the garage until we are safely away next time.

Note as far as annexes go ours is one of the better ones (Fiamma Privacy Room) but still hate it.

Much better to have the awning and be nice and open. Wife still likes it though.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:43 pm
Profile WWW

It is done now - at last we have our annex problem solved with the help of all you good friends on line -
We went for a full annex with big windows , but not the full length of the van so hubby can still have his section to sit in the open air - and a extension piece to cove the bar b q - this over comes me standing there holding and umber over hubby when it rains -

thanks again for all your help
the mac's

Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi everyone,
What does a full annex for a 19' caravan weigh approximately?

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi GJenko,

We recently had a new annexe made for our new 19' Roma. Firstly we do not have a normal "Rollout" awning. Instead we have a 15' Aussie Traveller Coolabah awning. The full annexe including it's carry bag weighs 18kg. The breakdown is: two canvas ends, side wall and van skirt(12kgs) six powder coated aluminium annexe poles(4kgs) and 36 steel pegs(2kgs) Total 18kgs. Cost for the annexe was $1710.

Regards,

Froglet

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 am

We have had four caravans and a full annex with each. A full annex is great when the family or friends arrives (planned or not). We also found that if you just put up the long wall (attached to awning barrel) It keeps the rain out of the annex area and it creates a wind tunnel effect. This helps to keep you cool on those hot days under the awning. We purchased a clear plastic end that keeps the rain off the door, whether if you have front or rear door.

If you have the space on the site, attach a few guy ropes and tent poles to the wall and double the shade area. We also have the shade cloth option. Please note the shade cloth drys a lot quicker. Hope this has been a help.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:24 pm

G'day
We have now had our annex over 12 months and haven't yet erected it completely. That said, the side (front & rear?) walls get a work-out.

When free-camping we usually park the van against the prevailing wind and erect both side walls. I don't mind putting them up or down for 5 - 10 mins work for the draught relief and shelter they provide.

I had the long front (side?) wall made with a zipper down the middle so that we could have a half annex or sheltered corner - must put it up and try it out though!

cheers
Jdog

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next