View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New members saying Hi... 

Post New members saying Hi...
Hi everyone...., We are from sunny North Queensland. User name is Banana Wind, our soon to be new address is Highway 1. not retiring just a lifestyle change. We are a bit daunted by the prospect of selling up and hitting the road, but we have several employment oportunities already ahead of us.
We would really be keen to hear from anyone doing the same thing.
Looking forward to making new friends in our great country.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:17 pm

Post Re: New members saying Hi...
Welcome aboard B W. You will find a lot of information on here on just about any subject.

Happy travels.

Regards Chris

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply, We are sure there is a lot of useful info for us to peruse. :razz:

Steve and Karen
aka Banana Wind
Van Name "It's 5 O'clock Somewhere"

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Hiya Banana Wind,
Welcome to the forum.
What an exciting time for you. When do you head off on your big adventure?
How long do you plan to be gone or no plans at all?
We used to be from North QLD. Hubby was Seaforth (Mackay) and i was T'ville.
Cheers,
Nola.

08 Concept Ascot

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:30 am

Hi Bannanas
We are from Adelaide & are planning the same in 2012.
I like the term " lifestyle change" which somes up what we will be doing.
Daunting is a good way to describe the feelings you are having & we're hoping our youngest will hang around to look after our house. If not we haven't decided what we will do with it ,probably rent it out. As I"m only 50 & the wife 48 we will have to find work eventually but I,m hoping to stretch it out as long as I can, maybe a year. How old are you guys?
Just heard Adelaide is set for it,s coldest winter in 13 years & I dont mind saying that I am well & truly OVER IT!
Our friends & family say to us ,what will you do when you have finished bumming around ?
How will you be able to retire, you should stay working you only have another 15 odd years to go.
That thought depresses me. I just can't see myself being able to do it so I just tell em we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
There are alot of couples our age out there that are on long service leave trips that will quell their itchy feet for a few more years, same as there are alot that have young families & are off on the 1 year adventure but we are not in those situations.
There are times when I think abit too long about what we intend on doing & you do start to second guess if for only a moment, hence the daunting bit, but we are adament we will do this cause you never know whats around the corner plus we want to see our country before whoever gets in govt. ruins it for us all.
Enough ranting for now Nev.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Hi Banana Wind,
welcome to the Forum & Family.

Cheers Rod

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
Welcome to the forum, BW, but we'd like to have names to call you by, maybe add it to your signature.
Frank

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:22 pm

Wrinkley's in Trainin' wrote:
Hiya Banana Wind,
Welcome to the forum.
What an exciting time for you. When do you head off on your big adventure?
How long do you plan to be gone or no plans at all?
We used to be from North QLD. Hubby was Seaforth (Mackay) and i was T'ville.
Cheers,
Nola.

Hi Nola,
Thanks for your reply,
We will be heading off when the house sells, not sure when that will be.
I see you are from our town. how long have you guys been away?
We are going to be still working while we are travelling, so when we have had enough we will find a place that we have enjoyed and maybe settle there.

Steve and Karen
aka Banana Wind

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:59 am

Steve/Karen.

Welcome to the forum. You will get some great ideas and helpful hints on here. Hope to join you one day, in the not too distant future.

BennyT50

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:17 am

nifty nev wrote:
Hi Bannanas
We are from Adelaide & are planning the same in 2012.
I like the term " lifestyle change" which somes up what we will be doing.
Daunting is a good way to describe the feelings you are having & we're hoping our youngest will hang around to look after our house. If not we haven't decided what we will do with it ,probably rent it out. As I"m only 50 & the wife 48 we will have to find work eventually but I,m hoping to stretch it out as long as I can, maybe a year. How old are you guys?
Just heard Adelaide is set for it,s coldest winter in 13 years & I dont mind saying that I am well & truly OVER IT!
Our friends & family say to us ,what will you do when you have finished bumming around ?
How will you be able to retire, you should stay working you only have another 15 odd years to go.
That thought depresses me. I just can't see myself being able to do it so I just tell em we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
There are alot of couples our age out there that are on long service leave trips that will quell their itchy feet for a few more years, same as there are alot that have young families & are off on the 1 year adventure but we are not in those situations.
There are times when I think abit too long about what we intend on doing & you do start to second guess if for only a moment, hence the daunting bit, but we are adament we will do this cause you never know whats around the corner plus we want to see our country before whoever gets in govt. ruins it for us all.
Enough ranting for now Nev.

G'day Nev,
We will be going on the road just as soon as our house sells, hopefully within the next couple of months. I am 47, and Karen is a cougar if you know what I mean.
We are sick of paying greedy banks our hard earned cash to cover the mortgage. We will be working and when we take our planned 6 to 8 weeks annual leave we will be able to go overseas as we will already be seeing Oz.
We decided to do this as we realise that as you get older you tend to get more invitations to funerals than party's. lol...
We do not intend this to be retirement, as I believe alot of people in our age group aren't financial enough to retire yet.
In time we know that we will need to get off the road, so the plan is to find a nice little beachside town somewhere and settle again.
I understand what you are saying about your family and friends, we have had the exact same thing happening to us, they will think you have lost your marbles, you just need to remain focused on your goal and don't let them sway you, because if you end up not following your dreams you may not end up going, and you will always be wondering "What If".
People tend to think that it is expensive to travel around, and there is no work, that is so far from the truth. There is more cost to living a normal life than the one we are about to embark on, I know, I've done the sums.
We are going with our eye wide open, I have researched employment agencies and business houses as I travel around my home territory. My current job is as a sales rep, and I know there is alot of work you can do, as some of my clients tell me that they won't employ local people in their town as they are unreliable. Just last week on a trip, I was offered 4 jobs for as long as I wanted them.
As long as you are willing to do any kind of work, you will get work anywhere.
You guys sound alot like us, all I can say to you is "Just do it"
"Life's too short to go mouldy".

Steve and Karen
aka Banana Wind

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next