View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Installing a solar panel 

Post Installing a solar panel
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anywon can offer any advise as to the installing of a solar panel (900 x 600) 120w on the roof of our Coromal Poptop (17ft) I am going to use 6 x aluminum L brackets and lots of silicon.

Mark

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 pm

There is a lot of debate about to pro and cons of installing a solar on the roof. Mainly due to the fact we like to park for shade and this is not conducive for solar charging. We ended up buying a 120watt portable so we can place the sat. in the sun to gain max. exposure from the sun.
No doubt others will lend advice. Also there has been a lot written on previous threads. Just search the site to find more. Other forums members can advise you how to do this, then I also can learn from that info.

JayDee.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:13 pm

I think if you click on teck. talk you will find info.

JayDee,

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:15 pm

Thankyou Jaydee, going mobile certainly makes the most of the sun. You have got me thinking now.

Mark

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 pm

The electrian that set-up the electric brake controller and put the 50amp anderson plug on my GU told me the same thing, that is to make the panels mobile and get the biggest ones you can right from the start that way you are only moving one lot of panels and not 2 or more smaller set-ups as you have bought a smaller set-up at the start.

Steve.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:06 am

Location: where ever the 4x4 and van stops (and I want a beer)
Remember roof-mounted solar modules are mounted about 20mm above the roof of your van/wiz-bang/motor home and act as installation (tropical roof) to your home.The best bet is 2 or 3 panels on your roof and 2x64watt panels mobile. Remember panels are dear and easily stolen if loose.
Also, the bigger the panels mobile, the bigger the power cables ie. 2x64 watt modules sitted 5 metres from the vehical need 4.0 sq.mm cable
Peter

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:57 pm

Post solar panels on caravans
m and p wrote:
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anywon can offer any advise as to the installing of a solar panel (900 x 600) 120w on the roof of our Coromal Poptop (17ft) I am going to use 6 x aluminum L brackets and lots of silicon.

Mark

Hello Mark, I have one 85 watt panel on my 23 foot Jayco , 6 mm cable down to a 20 amp regulator to a 100 amp gel battery. when we pull off road the fridge,hot water and stove run on gas , so we run lights and water pump and TV off the solar , it is impossible to run out of battery power , the most we have used is one bar on the battery state of charge switch . We camped for four nights amongst the pinetrees in the national park in Dwellingup , Western Australia and by 7am each morning the battery was fully charged, you dont need direct sun , you need daylight , beats a generator anyday

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Thankyou Jaydee, going mobile certainly makes the most of the sun. You have got me thinking now.

Mark

Have a look on ebay. Had some great portable solar panels there recently.

Ross

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 am

Post Re: Installing a solar panel
I have a 130W panel on roof and 200Ah in batteries. Run similarly to Holdenman48 and always have full batteries during the next day. "beats a generator anyday"

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:45 am

Post Re: Installing a solar panel
Hi Holdenman,

We have just installed 2 x 140 watt panels on our 20 foot Jayco, and have 2 x 120A/h batteries. Your reply encourages us! We are taking the van on a maiden run away fom A/C in a couple of weeks time to Somerset Dam in Brisbane. They say you can use gennies there and we have one as a back up, but we too prefer the greener alternative. We were a bit worried we may not have had enough power, but will only use the exact items you use from the solar. (The others gas).

It's good to hear from others and how many days they can manage, with their solar set up. We are only going for 2 nights, but we'll try for more next time! We'll work out the usage from this trip. The only thing is water that holds you back. Do most other people take extra or just fill up at servos, etc? (We have 2 x 82 litres).

Love top hear how long others can free camp, too.

Cheers,
Sally

2009 PAJERO PLATINUM AUTO DIESEL....AWESOME!

2005 CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

"OUR WEALTH IS OUR HEALTH"

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next