View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Toilet care - info pls 

Post Re: Toilet care - info pls
TeddyGQ wrote:
We live full time in our van and therefore use our loo full time. We have tried the Napisan recipe and, personally, it doesn't work.
We started using the Biomagic, 5 litres does cost just under the $100 mark but you use 50ml per change, do the maths.
We found that there ended up being a deposit in the toilet cassette which then needed to be removed. Biomagic have all the gear for this. We have since returned to Biomagic and have had no problems since. Holiday vans may have a different situation where the Napsan recipe works.
If you manage to get to Melbourne, drop into Carac in Dandenong and they have people who have excellent knowledge of these products.
Every 6 months, or whenever you are storing the van, wash the cassette fully and lay a SMALL amount of olive oil on the rubber 'O' ring. This assists in keeping it supple and working. We also add a few drops of good quality Eucalypt oil each time we empty.
Work out what works for you and good luck out there.

Hi Teddy,
Interesting comments about the Napisan or ever what is called now something like Laundry ###. I am a casual traveller but have found Napisan with Morning Fresh and Eucalyptus Oil works well but with our little Thetform (C-200) bottom tank we empty every second day when it is being used full time and every day if we have the opportunity.

I must say I don’t go light with the Napisan so just wondering how much you used I use 1.5 scoops using a normal laundry scoop.

The following comment is just general talk not directed at you Ted:
I have never bothered about lubrication on the seal once it gets wet the first time the spade moves freely and really after six to seven years best bto replace the seal anyway.

JR
:razz:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:42 pm

The 'Loo Juice' also needs No 2s to get it working properly :shock: - works poorly on just No. 1s I've found :roll:
Read somewhere that its something to do with the bacteria reacting with the Napisan or Laundry soaker
cheers
Jdog

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Nude nut not quite right about toilet paper if you read my blog the Thetford agent said to put the "supermarket paper" in a bucket of water and if it goes to a slurry in 10-15mins ok to use. You don't need to use expensive stuff. Also Thetford have changed their pink to pink plus which has addressed the old issues. The top tank should always be drained and flushed after any holidays.

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:13 am

I posted this on another thread but I'll re-post here

As we know, sodium percarbonate is the key to the 'Napisan' toilet 'loo juice' recipe.
I am a long term user of the 'juice'
So...today I went to the Reject shop and purchased;
1. A 2kg container of Supreme Oxy Action. When looking on the side for the sodium percarbonate content it stated Active Ingredient:Contains Sodium percarbonate 340g/kg equivalent to 4% w/w available oxygen I thought this to be 34% Sodium percarbonate; and
2. A 1kg container of Vanish Napisan Plus. On the side of the container it states Active Ingredient: Sodium percarbonate 25.7% w/w.
Both were the same price @ $6 each.

I'm now a little confused. Which is going to work better? I think the Supreme Oxy Action but not sure on the w/w :shock: What does w/w mean?

thoughts?

regards
Jdog

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:34 am

No expert JD but I reckon % w/w means mass fraction. It is the ratio of the mass of particular component of a brew to the total mass of the brew. Perhaps loosely put as weight for weight.

I think if you had 950 grams of peanuts and 50 grams of salt then the salt would be 50/1000 = 5% w/w

When gases are referenced (oxygen) they would have to be by mass (weight) to make any sense.

At school I did poorly in Chemistry :oops:

Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:42 am

Quote:
Which is going to work better?
you ask JDog

My bet is the Supreme Oxy Action. 34-35% sodium percarbonate is recommended.

The brand name with only 25.7% sodium percarbonate probably has a percentage of other things which may there to enhance dirt removal of clothes being soaked, but will be unnecessary and may be detrimental to the actions of the sodium percarbonate in the cassette.

After discovering that the store brand soaker powders were the ones to use for the toilet cassette, I have also found them better for soaking stained clothing than the brand names.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:56 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks OT and MH

:D :D :D For the Supreme Oxy Action.
We've been away for the last week and worked on a daily empty or thereabouts. I think it works marginally better than Napisan - but is much cheaper 8-)
cheers
Jdog

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2