View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Which Road Service Association? 

Post Which Road Service Association?
Hi Everybody,

Which, in your experience, is the best Road Service Association to be a member of when travelling Oz? I had an experience 6 or 7 years ago when I had a Gold Membership with the NRMA. We were travelling North and intending to stay overnight at the six mile creek free camp just South of Gympie. Tried to open van and the door lock malfunctioned and we couldn't get into van. Phoned the NRMA service number and was given the RACQ service number in Gympie who were to carry out service in that area under their reciprocal arrangements. It was 10pm and we were anxious to get some shuteye after a long days travel. The response was ""Bring it in at 9am" and they would have a look at it and no matter what I said he would not budge. The end result was the servo just South of Gympie lent me tools to remove a window and gain access and open the door from the inside. A new lock was fitted and the window resealed under warranty without fuss when we returned home.
Needless to stay I didn't renew my membership. We are now planning to travel extensively and feel that we need that road service but don't know which is best - your thoughts please.

Cheers CHONGA

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Post Re: Which Road Service Association?
Have you made a complaint to the RACQ ? I have never had any problem with them coming to help me regardless of time or problem.
Might just be one dodgy operater, and I'm sure they would want to rectify matters if that's the case.

Cheers,
xina.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:23 pm

As a member of RACQ, I had a big problem with the NRMA operator at Gunning NSW several years ago.

I complained to NRMA, who contacted him for comment, and, naturally enough, his story differed from mine.

I told them I expected that, but just wanted my story on record, cos I reckoned I wasn't the first or last person to get shabby service.

When the sun shines out your bum
http://jdkingbobandtipper.webs.com/

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:57 pm

Long time member of RACQ . . . no problems .

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi All
We are members of the NRMA and had a problem at St. George this year. Phoned NRMA (same no os RACQ). Racq were there in 10min. could not be happier
Cheers

[img][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/img]

100 series TD Landcruiser
23' Roma Elegance "The Van from Snowy River"

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:59 pm

We're Qld'ers and been with RACQ over 12 years,weve been recoverred twice,car and van, and many roadside calls [with different cars through the years].

Never a cause for Complaint,i believe you SHOULD have rung back Nrma then n there and complained,Its YOUR money,you deserve instant service,NOT when it suits the service to attend.

Cheers Rod

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:38 pm

That was slack service by NRMA. Like Rod and I am guessing you, were are Qlder's and use RACQ ultimate Package . Great operation. Recently my son ( also ultimate package member)had a small fire in Fridge of van and whilst in been repaired, RACQ picked up the tab for 5 or 6 night accommodation for family of 6 up in the Broome region. A long way from home base of Brisbane.
Don't wooory be aaaappy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jay&Dee

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Chonga,
Whilst that was disgraceful "service"or lack therof, perhaps it's best not to rush away from NRMA just yet. They have great service here in NSW, but obviously, just like any company, if you are not in their state you have to try the "öther options". I would certainly report the creep to the NRMA and RACQ, but continue to trust NRMA who are usually much more reliable than that.
Perhaps as Zina suggest, if this ever happens again, call the NRMA directly and complain as soon as it happens.
Hope you have no further hassles that need road service. Safe travels :roll:

See you on the long and winding road[/color]

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Hmmm!....What is "Gold" membership?..I looked at the NRMA site and Gold membership is not mentioned...Did this "Gold" membership entitle you to have service on your caravan?
As with everything, there's usually two sides to the story. Did the Gympie guy tell you why he was not prepared to come out that night?
We have RACQ Ultra Care which covers the caravan as well....I think that's the same as NRMA's 'Premium' care. The other membership options dont cover service to caravans.
Very expensive...haven't had to use it yet (at least the last 10 years) but I reckon just one incident will pay for itself over and over.
Jock :?:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:01 am

Hi Jock,

Not exactly sure if it was called Gold card - it was 7 years ago but it was up the top to cover the caravan as well. The point was the Gympie contact wouldn't get out at night to help us. I guess that if that was his idea of service he has probably been given the Tijuana (Brass) by now.
Now that we intend to travel further afield around Australia I want to know from people's experiences which is the best to go with.

Cheers CHONGA

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next