View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Help us find the Top Ten caravan Parks in Australia 

Post Help us find the Top Ten caravan Parks in Australia
Hi everyone,
We're trying to find the top ten best caravan parks in Australia and we want your suggestions.
Now obviously, this is going to be tough call to make, as different parks are great for different reasons.
We want to find those parks with that "WOW" factor, whether it's because of a fantastic location, maybe right next to a beach, mountain or river, or situated conveniently to all the attractions of a particular area.
It might be because it has excellent ammenities that go above and beyond your standard caravan park.
Also we want to hear about those parks with great staff and a great happy hour atmoshphere, with lots of activities and entertainment, like music, comedy and bush poetry readings and/or free meal days like regular BBQ's, pancake breakfasts and the like.
So please tell us which caravan park would get your vote for being the best in Australia!
When we've narrowed it down, we'll put a up shortlist so you can have your say and cast a vote for your favorite park.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:17 am

Post Re: Help us find the Top Ten caravan Parks in Australia
G'day Mark,

I'll get the ball rolling here by nominating Arno Bay Caravan Park, SA as our favourite.

Powered sites are $26 with a pay 4 and stay 5 deal. It is right on the beachfront with an easy walk to the jetty (great fishing - squid, whiting and yellowtail kingies) and only about 100 metres staggering distance from the pub.

You can purchase cooked medium size local prawns at the park shop for $14/kilo and mega size king prawns for $22/kilo. Every Thursday night there is a bbq put on by management (Steve & Belinda - great people) with local snapper, sausages and steaks - all you can eat for $6 pp and every Sunday they do a pancake breakfast, all you can eat for $3 pp.

diesel 8-)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 am

As you say. it's a dard call with different style parks suiting different people.
I could name a number of quaint little parks that have grewat atmosphere to larger resirt style parks that offer the lot.
But have settled on one that covers the full gambit of various styles.

Lane Cover River Tourist Park - Sydney.
Bush setting in the middle of Australias largest city with native wildlife along with great staff knowledge and assistance.
Ozjohn.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:32 am

For us it was a toss-up between Buronga Riverside Tourist Park, near Mildura or Port Vincent Foreshore Caravan Park. Buronga had the best facilities for us (no kids and one small dog). Port Vincent had a lovely beach and good fishing but not much else.
We are yet to travel to the northern states.
Cheers
MOOREY

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 am

Having travelled all round Aust. staying mainly in Caravan Parks, I have no hesitation, whatsoever in nominating the Big 4 Coconut Resort in Cairns as being the absolute best park in Oz. by a Country Mile.
Your criteria did not mention price but, as Big 4 members we get a discount plus they have a longevity deal...Our last 10 night stay last Dec. worked out at $31.00 per night for the two of us....For this we got a very large spacious, private, shaded site, with a large concrete annexe slab,sealed park roads, beautifully kept lawns and gardens, sparkling, clean amenities, two very large swimming pools, tennis court, huge water park and playgrounds for the kids, 2 huge jumping pillows for the kids plus a myriad of other activities for the kids. Wednesdy mornings free Pancake breakfasts, free outdoor movies, free water aerobic classes 3 times per week, in park cafe/store and restaurant...wonderful camp kitchen and strategically placed, covered BBQ's abd on and on. The staff were unbelievably bright, cheerful and obliging...Incredible value!!!!
Could mention other Parks that come near the top but you did ask for our opinion of the best.

Jock :razz:

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 am

While my choice in parks is for no frills, reasonable price, clean amenities and showers hot and a few extra touches, I score more points for; dry dressing area in shower, mats provided, true disability access, pet friendly, and good reception. In a nice environment helps, and of course in a place we are going to see or travelling through.

Best: Alice Atkinson Caravan Park (Shire run) in Sandstone in Western Australia. It is on dirt not a green grassy park - but look where it is.

My review:
Quote:
Parking area is dirt (it is in a dry region), roomy, almost level and suitable for drive through and long rigs. It advertises 30 bays, but there were usually only a dozen or so campers per night when we stayed. This caravan park in the tiny town of Sandstone has the one of the best amenities blocks of any caravan park, being run by a Shire whose total population is only 116 people (as at 2008). It is well designed, well maintained and looks near new although it is eight years old. Shower cubicles are large, and mats are provided in the dressing area. Large mirrors with make-up lighting over basins area, with hand wash pumps and paper towels provided. Water pressure is good, there was adequate hot water, exhaust fans, disability access bathroom and baby change room. Video surveillance and a well lit exit sign over door. Block is close to all sites. Washing machines cheap at $2.40 per load. Machines kept very clean. Showers available for people not staying at $3. Clean barbecue in a barbecue area.
Pros: Lovely amenities, splash free side wall showers with huge dressing area mats. Fairly quiet (highway noise beyond rear of park is audible). Disability and baby change bathrooms. Roomy sites. Pets permitted. Friendly park hostess kept the amenities in top order.
Cons: Dirt, however grassed sites are not expected in dry inland regions.
We paid $20 for two per night powered
in 2008.

There were others that came close, and would have equalled this score if they’d had disability access bathrooms. These include the Walcha Caravan Park NSW, Ilfracombe Caravan Park Qld, Tenterfield Lodge Caravan Park NSW and Penong Caravan Park SA (that was a pleasant surprise).

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 am
Profile WWW

jock wrote:
Having travelled all round Aust. staying mainly in Caravan Parks, I have no hesitation, whatsoever in nominating the Big 4 Coconut Resort in Cairns as being the absolute best park in Oz. by a Country Mile.
Your criteria did not mention price but, as Big 4 members we get a discount plus they have a longevity deal...Our last 10 night stay last Dec. worked out at $31.00 per night for the two of us:

It might be good but they sure know how to charge in peak time (June/July) though :
- Powered grass site $46 pn
- Powered slab site $51 pn
- Powered ensuite site $64 pn

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it's going to be really hard to narrow it down to ten!
I was hoping to pick one or two from each state as well to spread it out over Australia, so that makes it even harder.
I'll have a look at some of the ones you have all suggested and see how I go.
Below is a shortlist I've been working on, I'd love to here if you've been to any of these parks and what you thought of them, highlights, activities, freindly staff etc.
Some the ones I've found are ones you have also suggested, so if you happen to have a photo of yourself, your freinds and your rig at any of these parks let me know and we might even be able to put it in the magazine.

QLD: Karumba Point Tourist Park QLD Gulf of Carpentaria:
QLD: Big 4 Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort, QLD, Great Barrier Reef.
QLD: Ilfracombe Caravan Park, QLD, Outback
NSW: Kidmans Camp, Bourke, Outback Queensland.
NSW: Trial Bay Jail Camping Grounds in South West Rocks, NSW
NT: Kakadu Lodge and Caravan Park, NT, Kakadu
NT: Heavitree Gap Outback Resort and Caravan Park, NT, Alice Springs
NT: MacDonnell Range Holiday Park , NT, Alice Springs
WA: Cable Beach Caravan Park, WA, Broome.
WA: Esperance Seafront Caravan Park, WA, Esperance.
WA: Outback Oasis Caravan Park, WA Carnavon.
WA: Jurien Tourist Park, WA, Mid Coast.
VIC: Anglesea Beachfront Caravan Park
VIC: Big 4 Pisces Holiday Park, Apollo Bay, Great Ocean Rd Victoria
VIC: Yarraby Holiday Park, VIC, Echuca, Murray River
SA: Streaky Bay Foreshore Tourist Park, SA. Eyre Peninsula.
SA: Port Germein Caravan Park, SA, Limestone Coast
SA: Rawnsley Park Station, SA, Flinders Ranges.
TAS: Stanley Cabin and Tourist Park, TAS, Circular Head
TAS: Longford Riverside Caravan Park, TAS. Launceston
TAS: Captain Cook Caravan Park, TAS, Bruny Island
ACT: Canberra Motor Village, ACT

Thanks everyone,
I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:50 pm

ParamountCruiser wrote:
jock wrote:
Your criteria did not mention price but, as Big 4 members we get a discount plus they have a longevity deal...Our last 10 night stay last Dec. worked out at $31.00 per night for the two of us:

It might be good but they sure know how to charge in peak time (June/July) though :
- Powered grass site $46 pn
- Powered slab site $51 pn
- Powered ensuite site $64 pn

Neil.
Price was not mentioned as a criteria. I only quoted it as others had. I would point out that Coconut's 5star rating pricing is great value for money when you compare it to all the other 3 and 4 star parks who charge similar or more for a hell of a lot less. There are dozens of Parks around who charge more than double their tarrif in, so called peak times.
Other Parks which would come high on my list are the Big 4 at Cooktown..(by far the best amenities you'll find.)..Big 4 at Mission Beach, Venus Bay, SA..Arno Bay SA,, etc.etc.

Almost impossible to get a consensus on the 'best' ..we all have different criteria.

Jock :neutral:

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:50 pm

we are just beginners but for us the Gwyndir caravan park at Moree is a treat. NO only do they have great drive through sites for your $28 a night you can spend as much time as you like in their hot mineral pools. So many travellers happy to sit and chat in the pools. Its great!

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next