View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 C&M 164 feedback 

Post C&M 164 feedback
Firstly, thanks to C &M for the free copy...I stopped reading the mag. about 15 months ago when I found that I was getting rather bored with it..and it was too expensive for what I was getting.
I have to say, that from my point of view, the mag has greatly improved..so I reckon congratulations are in order....
However.......just a couple of comments which would govern whether or not I subscribe...
Far too many ads...I know some have commented that they like seeing and reading the Ads but when the same ads are repeated in each issue, they tend to lose my interest...Perhaps your advertising team, in the interests of readership appeal, could spend more time encouraging your advertisers to change/update their ads more often.
I notice that the Caravan Reviews are now called 'Profiles'..and there's no comments re product performance/quality etc...You have effectively removed the age old 'balance' by removing the risk of offending your advertisers. The information you supply is great for potential buyers but I think readers want more than that....So I reckon an honest and fair dinkum review test and inspection report would be of great interest..even if you only did one per issue...Build quality, weight honesty, fittings installation (like the fridge), electrical etc. etc......It would also encourage manufacturers to lift their game.
For the life of me I cant figure out Leanne's article " Free Camping "...."best Beach Sites" on page 77.....Her definition of "Free" is, to say the least, Awry. Some of the sites highlighted are bloody expensive, to say the least..The second one on the list..Freemans..is $35.00 per night for a couple. !!!!!!!many others are more than $25.00 pn. and one, Tidal River has no price but carries the comment "Expensive, but worth it."
So much for Free Camping!!! :roll:
Perhaps I've got it wrong..I always thought that 'Free Camping' was camping with no site fees.
Maybe the article should have just been headed.. "Great Beach Camping Sites" or just concentrate on the many other great Beach camping sites which truly are Free.
Anyway..Great Job..congratulations, again, to all the team..
++

Jock :razz:

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:58 am

Post Re: C&M 164 feedback
I thought the same re the Free Camping article, none of the NSW ones are free - far from it - 2 adults, 2 kids and a car = $49 per night.
We stayed at a nice caravan park near one of em, and it was cheaper than the "free" ones listed...

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi Jock, thanks for the comprehensive feedback ... some great suggestions there.

Regarding 'Free-Camping', for me/us/the mag, it the Free element generally refers to being free to choose, free from being bound to stay at a commercial park. As such, it also includes National Parks (with an associated charge) and other such places as well as those that have no costs at all to stay. (which unfortunately are becoming fewer and farer in between.)

Don't look at what is and ask, Why ... look at what isn't and ask, Why Not!

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Simon,

Me thinks you are clutching at straws there.

BennyT50

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:42 pm

BennyT50 wrote:
Simon,

Me thinks you are clutching at straws there.

BennyT50

No I am not... that is what I have put in many articles,editorials, newsletters and forum posts.

It is about Freedom to choose; free from the constraints of commercial caravan parks.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:21 pm

G'day Simon, firstly congratulations a vastly improved mag, since you became editor there has been a marked improvement right across the board.

I am afraid I will have to agree with Benny T & Jock regarding free camping. To the average Joe Blow caravanner the term Free Camping means simply Free of site fees'
not freedom to choose, after all we are all free to choose aren't we !

Geoff & Bev
NP Pajero GLX Diesel Auto
07 Millard Horizon 17' Pop Top

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks coxy45, appreciate your kind words... many involved and a long way to go.

coxy45 wrote:
after all we are all free to choose aren't we !

We would think so but our rights are being slowly eroded. Recent example was the BS in Tasi, and what seems to be happen in QLD whereby it appears RVers are become less and less welcome.

Free-Camping will always mean different things to different people... some people refer to it as Budget-Camping, Freedom Camping, Independent Camping. Some is for free while others have a charge.

So for me, it is always about Freedom ..... and sometimes, unfortunately, there is a price for freedom.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Simon, I agree with the others here. Put free camp sites on the cover of a magazine and it will sell - to people expecting a list or review of places that have no fees.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:57 pm
Profile WWW

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop
Sorry Simon another nail from me, whilst I enjoy the freedom to choose, the freedom to park where I like, and all other freedom that comes from a freecamp, to me a freecamp is any camp that is FREE, anything under $5 a night per person is a cheap campsite, anything looking like $20 or more is a caravan park.
Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:16 pm

I agree, when I read that article I was expecting Free, or at least low cost, camping, despite having read your earlier editorials etc on Freedom camping. I think a better name for the article would have been simply Best Beach Camping, which indicates campgrounds rather than more ordered caravan parks. Particularly since many of those listed, like Tidal River, while lovely certainly don't have much or any Freedom about them, given the allocation of sites etc really is like a caravan park.

I again really enjoyed the DVD, I find the Fred series more interesting than the Marg & Rob ones, as its more about the travelling and caravan lifestyle rather than just the big name tourist destinations. Do though wish there was a Mrs Fred travelling along.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next