View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Buying my Caravan 

Post Buying my Caravan
Hello All

Okay, I have recently sold the camper trailer and now looking for our new home on wheels.

We are after a unit that allows for extended free camping so solar panels, decent water storage and ability to take on things such as the Gibb River etc.

There are only the two of us and we both agree that we want to stay away from pop tops.

I have read many an articles on the subject, spoken to dealers etc however I would now like to hear your thoughts (as owners). I have a BT 50 rig with a 3.5 ton towing capacity however don't really want anything that big to save on monies re fuel etc. I would like to buy second hand due to budget.

To date I am looking at the Billagbong Broome or Regent Stadebroke. I also like the look of the Travellers.

If you own one of these I would love your feedback, particularly any' I wish I had' options. Also those with rigs for similar experiences I would be very interested to hear your thoughts. It is a big investment so we are happy to take some time to get the right fit.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Barry & Gill

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Post Re: Buying my Caravan
Hi Barry & Gill.
The best advice I can offer is to set up a spreadsheet on your computer, or otherwise set up a pen and pencil style spreadsheet.
List headings across the top IE:
Make.. size .. Price..age.....bed size/position/ Lift up.;;.... Ensuite.... 2 Door Fridge 3 way fridge ( A must) ... Micro....Oven & Hot plate... Gas... T.V. ....Solar... Batteries...Air con...awning... annex.... Etc Etc.the list goes on.

Then down the right hand column list
Make of van and where to view. etc etc.

Once you have completed all you wants and desires, and filled in the boxes accordingly it then becomes easier for you to make a decision.

We were able to tick every box, for our requirements except for a lounge.

Good luck and enjoy your travels.
Jay&Dee

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks Jay&Dee, great idea.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Post Coromal Priestone off road
Hello

Okay we are narrowing our selection of caravans and have found a 2007 Coromal Prinstone (20ft) off road with 16 inch wheels, 6inch draw bar and raised chassie.

It appears to be in very good nick. They are asking 48,500.

Can anyone out there give me some information on this unit. Is this a good price for a van in good condition?

Any help welcome

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:53 pm

aussiealltrails,
To have a shortlist of a Billagbong Broome or Regent Stadebroke and then narrowing it down to a coromal princeton in two days is something that can happen when you see the right van. But the proof is always in the eating so will this owner allow you to take it for a trial run? If not, you might like to try to hire one, could be the best $500 you ever spent?

At $48K, if you make a mistake, you could be stuck with it for a while and that takes the shine off the trips.

But if you have found THE VAN, then go for it. Sounds like you have some doubts though asking here about its performance. Might be better asking the owner why he is really selling it?

Best of luck with your selection, $48K sounds like a top dollar, what did it cost to buy in 2007?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks Tripping Away. Its at a caravan yard. 48k sounds a fare bit I agree. Will keep looking for now.

Cheers :razz:

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]