View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New Vans. 

Post New Vans.
Like many like- minded people, I attended the Penrith Caravan and camping show to squiz at what's new and shiny. I'm building my own 18ft all roads tandem with all the usual including a shower/ toilet. I spotted a few smart vans sitting high on their suspensions and I was impressed on their looks and build. Not so inside. The cabinetry was than the flat pak kitchens you can buy at budget prices. The cheap melamine board with the cheapest edge strips poorly glued on. I was immediately disappointed with the interior having just been impressed with the chassis and exterior.
I felt that the new owners would be getting short changed in value, particularly given that as little as a better edge strip, costing maybe an additional $50 would have at the least, given the appearance of value.
Having been in the building/ construction industry for many years, I have an eye for quality and detail. Most vans in my opinion were very good, a couple of manufacturers being very pleasing indeed. It would seem to me that most, if not all manufacturers, have chassis and suspensions capable of withstanding the toughest conditions.
The quality of internal fit out varied widely with some manufactures offering low value for money. What is disappointing to me, is that some cabinetry could be greatly improved with just a little more thought being given and more attention to materials and finish.. Some reviewers seem to miss this.
The show seems to be getting bigger and better each year with an extraordinary range of products and services available. Caravanners have never had it so good. ( A little more elbow room in some parks is always nice)

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Post Re: New Vans.
Even the ones with a good finish may not be that good I have been fighting for 18 months to get mine fixed leaked since day one and now has rot in it

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Gary and Sharon wrote:
Even the ones with a good finish may not be that good I have been fighting for 18 months to get mine fixed leaked since day one and now has rot in it

Gary and Sharon,
Go to this web site to find out what your rights are;www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au. Let the government pester the seller.
glanyard

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:12 pm

Water damage really is a problem to fix once its taken hold. Tracking the point of entry can often be difficult. I don't understand why the selling dealer is not supporting you. Meranti timber is sourced mostly from Malaysia/ Indonesia and was once the home of our nearest primate, the Orangatang . Meranti is subject to rot when exposed to water and I would be irate if I was fobbed off with a legitimate complaint of this kind. Some manufactures fall short in areas of proper sealing against water. I climbed up on the rear spare wheel of a van by one of the oldest names in the industry just a few years ago and saw that the roof mounted A/C unit ( they weigh up to 35+ kgs) was sunken down in the roof approx. 25 mm with the roof sheeting holding a moat of water all around the unit. On the same van I looked underneath to check on what type of ply was used for flooring. The flooring was painted a very dark brown, or black but by the type of knots showing thru and also by the type of grain showing thru the paint, I judged the flooring to be cheap CD grade ply which in my view not really suitable for the use.
If you cannot resolve your problem of water leaks, perhaps you should mention a few names here after first consulting FairTrading.
Good luck and cheers
George W

Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Fair trading told me because it is over 50k has to go through the courts and good luck with it. Caravan manufacturers association is like the master builders a big club. The dealer is in Brisbane and starts with b and brand is on profile. Have just come back from the factory were I was abused and threatened by the owner, Have received an email today to say they will take it and do repairs but only replace 1 shet in ceiling when water was running through like it didn't have a roof all due to faulty hatches and bedroom walls are blue from water which I want replaced to. Ask for van to be replaced but no go. Can't expect to much for 80k

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Gary and Sharon wrote:
Fair trading told me because it is over 50k has to go through the courts and good luck with it. Caravan manufacturers association is like the master builders a big club. The dealer is in Brisbane and starts with b and brand is on profile. Have just come back from the factory were I was abused and threatened by the owner, Have received an email today to say they will take it and do repairs but only replace 1 shet in ceiling when water was running through like it didn't have a roof all due to faulty hatches and bedroom walls are blue from water which I want replaced to. Ask for van to be replaced but no go. Can't expect to much for 80k

Is the 50K dollars or kilometres.
If it is dollars then I understand you would have to go to court.
glanyard

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:35 pm

It is dollars paid 70k

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Saturn 5 wrote:
Like many like- minded people, I attended the Penrith Caravan and camping show to squiz at what's new and shiny. I'm building my own 18ft all roads tandem with all the usual including a shower/ toilet. I spotted a few smart vans sitting high on their suspensions and I was impressed on their looks and build.
The quality of internal fit out varied widely with some manufactures offering low value for money.)

Hi George, If you are a good welder, it would not be hard to come up with a better chassis than most of the cheapies on the road.
The whole game is disreputable, when you see a lot of company's going broke, and then the same owners restarting after reorganising their finances.
The thing with manufacturing , to me is starting with a good chassis, and many new start up mobs just buy rock bottom stuff in from select chassis manufacturers.
You read all the time regarding suspensions and A bars getting replaced and that has to be these rock bottom components going into the vans.

My van has had spring hanger and A bar problems with out having done excessive work that should not have affected it.
Ok I have done my share of fast dirt and I do a reasonable speed on the road, but I just expected more.

sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess retired.
Avan Tayla 17'6" With self fitted Loo and Shower.
2004 Toyota 100 series TD Auto

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]