View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 5th Wheelers 

Post Re: 5th Wheelers
Yes....at the risk of being accused of being one of the 'nasty' ones...I agree 100% with some of the sentiments of 'alarm' being expressed. You have simply made up your mind and are wearing rose coloured glasses when well-founded, negative advice is given.
No good quoting old sizes relating to Aust. compliance..Like it or not the rules are the rules and you could have huge insurance claim problems if an issue rises from an accident if caused by a related problem..
ALSO...Do you not have any concern that when you pull into a caravan park or camp with your outdoor living area on the wrong side, that you will be imposing on your neighbour's privacy by having your awning opening into His?... If you say that you will put your unit in front first.., be aware that this is not possible in most caravan parks and, also, others have, for safety reasons, a strict policy that all units must be reversed in.

Jock :neutral:

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 am

Just to add to Jocks post. We have twice had the above happen to us at the Capricorn Palms park in Mulambin near Yeppoon where a 5th wheeler arrived and imposed on our site to the point of being a hindrance to us. The first time, the lady was unsteady on her feet and twice used our new cruiser (200 Sahara) as support. Peed me off no end to put it politely! They also took up part of our site with their clothes line, their access steps and other bits and pieces. The second time it happened (the following year) I spoke with the management about the issues and was told that they would only be there a couple of days....8 days it turned out to be. Now both of these couples were probably very nice people, BUT, when you want to sit outside under your awning and have to face the other couple doing the same it lacks the privacy I and my wife want and enjoy. Sure I like to have a chat, but when I want to and not because I have to. In MY opinion it does not work well in Oz with the door on the WRONG side of the van. We love that park but if and when we go there again there is at least one site we will give a miss to.
Happy travels

Tue May 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi
HI

That situationof using step down transformers has again been confirmed as NOT COMPLYING TO AUS STANDARDS been confirmed ,this morning, by Qld ESO
That the fitting of A step down transformer to run ALL existing 110V equipment does not comply with Aus Standards
A company making such a claim has been approached & despite their internet link claiming compliance by fitting a transformer THEY DENY HAVING EVER DONE SO

But they need hard evidence to act against those selling & claiming such do comply!
That has to be some one who has been conned ,coming forward with the evidence[Van & paper work with evidence of sale]

Any willing please contact me by PM

PeterQ

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Been a while since this thread was discussed....would be interesting to know what TheScotts finally decided...Had another thought later on that might be no longer of interest to them but even those 5th.Wheelers that have had the access door converted to the left side, when it comes to units with the slide outs, they are still on the wrong side and, when opened out, encroach into the awning/slab/annexe space.

Jock :neutral:

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Had a look at a Jayco 28' 5th wheeler at the Leisurefest at Sandown today. Nice unit teamed with a IVECO dual cab and looks like Jayco and IVECO have done all of the research to get this set up right.

My question involves legality to tow this unit in OZ. My understanding is a normal car licence "C" is acceptable for me to tow this 5th wheeler in all sates but not in the A.C.T. Can anyone out there clear this up for me as I need to visit A.C.T. on a regular basis to catch up with family, and if it's a "no go" I will stick with the motorhome. Cheers

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:28 pm

plumbum1966 wrote:
My question involves legality to tow this unit in OZ. My understanding is a normal car licence "C" is acceptable for me to tow this 5th wheeler in all sates but not in the A.C.T. Cheers

Motor vehicle licence classes are uniform across Oz. See this PDF document.

With a C class licence you can drive a motor vehicle with a GVM not exceeding 4.5 T an tow a trailer with a GVM not exceeding 9.0 T anywhere in Oz

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply PeterD.

I have done a bit more research, and it seems that whilst the PDF document you attached is correct, A.C.T. have their own set of rules and spell 5th wheelers out quite clearly. Have a look at this link,

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/assets/PDFs/ ... andout.pdf

Doesn't seem right that they can differ from all the rest of the states but I don't see a way around it, do you?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:05 am

plumbum1966 wrote:

I have done a bit more research, and it seems that whilst the PDF document you attached is correct, A.C.T. have their own set of rules and spell 5th wheelers out quite clearly. Have a look at this link,

Doesn't seem right that they can differ from all the rest of the states but I don't see a way around it, do you?

The way I read that is it applies if you lived in ACT and held an ACT licence only , I would think that if you had a licence in another state which was where you lived you would be ok....
Regards Neville..

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:45 pm

plumbum1966 wrote:

Seems to me that as the regulations apply to ACT drivers and therefore not to drivers from other states, a driver from, say, Victoria is not restricted from driving/transiting through the ACT.
Unless of course there is another regulation that says an interstate driver cannot drive in Canberra with a "C" licence if they are operating a 5th Wheeler combo unit. If a person from interstate was fined for operating a 5th wheeler and challenged it, this would be an interesting court room battle especially if it went all the way to the Federal Court.

glanyard

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3