View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Alternate way 

Post Alternate way
We are looking as an alternate way coming back down from Darwin to go via Carpentaria HWY and Tablelands HWY towards Mount Isa.

Has anyone been his way and is it worth us going there and can anyone give me any information anout Mcarthur as i guess this with be our half way point?

or should we leave this for our next trip to the red centre?

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Post Re: Alternate way
Hi H

We went via the Carpentaria and Barkly Highways on our way to Queensland in 2009 and you can read about it in our Borroloola Barkly travelogue in my website. The Barkly is flat grasslands.

Due you mean the McArthur mines between Cape Crawford and Borroloola? We drove past mining but with most mines there is no access unless they do guided tours. http://www.mcarthurrivermine.com.au/EN/ ... fault.aspx

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:33 pm
Profile WWW

No the township of Mcarthur :) but then again i could be wrong there could be a mine there

By looking at the map there is a roadhouse/homestead there but can't find any information about the area or any info about that whole area, just going to assume that it's just the regular bushlands of NT

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:13 am

Looking at Google maps, they show Mcarthur at Cape Crawford. CC (Heartbreak Hotel) is at the intersection of the Carpentaria and the Tablelands highways. There is mediocre camping with power (i wouldn't stay there again), cabins, hotel, restaurant, and fuel (expensive - we purchased much cheaper out at Borroloola). Noisy generator all night, noise of trucks. Description in my travelogue. I hope this solves the McArthur mystery for you.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:44 am
Profile WWW

Hi
We came that way last July and camped at Little River. Heading toward the main highway north, it's on the left just a few hundred meters from Heartbreak Hotel. Room for about 3-4 vans, right on the water, caught a few Yabbies as well.

Had a great Burger and chips at the Pub for $10

cheers. Hans

09 200Series Cruiser DT & 09 24' Paradise Explorer XL

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]