View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Cargo Drawers 

Post Cargo Drawers
Being a cabinet maker I want to install a couple of drawers and fridge slide in the back of my 4WD Challenger. Wondering if anyone might be able to advise me of what are important consideration regarding locking the unit down, movement or in general the pitfalls. Am able to source all the bits and pieces I require but unsure of need for strength in construction.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:29 pm

Post Re: Cargo Drawers
N&N
I have built a draw system in my holden wagon and i'm very happy with it, things to consider are the weight in the draws and more so the weight on top of the draws, I made mine from plywood, pine wood and 6 roller bearings, the bearings are fitted to the draw and run in a groove in the side of the system but I have taken 6x 1cm notches out of the bottom of the groove so when the draw is closed it drops down about 1cm and hits the bottom, this puts all the weight on the floor of the system not on the floor of the draw, it also stops the draw rolling open, to open it's like a lift and pull, my wagon has a rail system in the floor like they use for aircraft seats and I secure the draws to this, they don't move but if I was to crash my car with the back seat down it would side forward and be dangerous.

The weight on top of the draw is important, two draws would allow a suport beam in the middle to stop the top sagging if you have a big load on the top but will make the system heavier, my system is one draw 1.1m wide and I don't have problem sagging but the rear wall of the draw is cut a little lower just in case, most ot the time I have a 40lt engal, a 63lt fiberglass esky and a dog on it. I use a lock off a alloy window for security.

hope this helps.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:08 am

have a look in the Prado forum here: http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=1268 - There are other threds in the forum about draws too - you might need to join to search, don't know - I realise that you don't have a Prado but you might get some ideas anyway.

Grey-headed with Itchy Feet
www.markandkay.smugmug.com

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 am
Profile WWW

Made my draws for the colorado useing form ply, kd hardwood and 50x25 steel box and a heap of roller bearings. Hade them for 2 years now and are great.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]