View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 LC100 with Sprintex Supercharger 

Post LC100 with Sprintex Supercharger
Guys, am seeking information from existing owners who have gone down this path with their 4WD as a means to being as informed as possible prior to doing the same thing. My existing tug is still in first class condition and after 10 years of use has 165,000 on the clock with most of that mileage occurring in the last 3 years, since retirement and the opportunity to explore this great land of ours.

So any and all comment gratefully received

Frank

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Post Re: LC100 with Sprintex Supercharger
The first thing you'll need to do before anyone can give you useful advice is detail which motor your 100 Series has.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Sean....current motor is the venerable 1FZE - 6 cylinder dual fuel auto.

Cheers

Frank

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:54 pm

Wouldn't be my first choice of motor for a Landruiser but they are generally known to be pretty good, fuel consumption is what holds them back.

A guy I know named Sean (another Sean) in Adelaide has one from an 80 Series Landcruiser fitted to an old Toyota Crown.

He probably has more first hand knowledge of these motors than anyone else in Australia, except perhaps Tony Knight from Knight engines who does his machining.

Long thread but you might find it interesting: http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67218679

Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:17 am

Had some spare time so did a bit of googling.

The kit you're talking about puts in 5psi of boost, yet claims to give a 50% power increase and 45% torque increase with a corresponding decrease in fuel consumption.

I find that a bit hard to swallow, just doesn't add up in my head.

If it's true, it sounds good. To get those results however I'd expect that the EFI system would at the least need to be flashed and reprogrammed, or possibly have the ECU replaced entirely.

Flash tuning or replacing the EFI ECU would make the vehicle defective under emissions regulations without a comprehensive test by the EPA and an engineers certificate.

Another thing to consider is that the extra torque may kill your auto.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:24 pm

At those sort of KLM's you will need to factor in an engine/gearbox/diff's overhaul as well. Often the best and cheapest solution is to sell and buy another car with the kind of power you are looking for.

My Photo's
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/mowog

My Blog
http://mowogman.wordpress.com

Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE. Long range aux tank, Kaymar Rear Bar
21' Lotus Trackvan Extreme. (Arriving soon)

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 am

Hi Frank,
I’d been toying with the same idea for some time. I’ve got the same vehicle as you but I don’t have dual fuel. It's also ten years old and just turned over 140K. I've had it since new and like yours, it is still in very good condition. Also, over the years I’ve spent quite a few dollars on accessorizing it up to the stage where it now has everything I need to be able to do the things I like doing.
About a year ago I brought a new off-road caravan (ATM of 2.9T) and while my Landcrusier tows it comfortably I’d still like a bit more torque for climbing. With retirement about three years away and planning to spend at least six months of the year on the road, I looked at upgrading to a diesel LC but I came to the conclusion that I’d be looking at a changeover figure of approx $35K for a good low-kilometre second-hand one. And then I would still need to spend more money getting it to the same standard as my current LC.
So in the end I decided to keep it and started to look at other options and the Sprintex supercharger is one option that I’ve looked at quite seriously. I’ve even gone as far as fitting new ceramic coated extractors and a 2.5” mandrel exhaust system on the vehicle in preparation. However, before I make the final plunge and spend the $5.5K for the supercharger, I’m going to try a power chip (Unichip - $1300) first. If I'm not happy with the results then I'll get the supercharger.
I am also a member of Land Cruiser Owners On Line (http://www.lcool.org) and there is a lot of good information on both superchargers and power chips on the forum, which may help you in making your decision.

Vinnie

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:39 pm

Vinnie, thanks for your comments...not sure what part of Oz you hail from, but I`m based in Sydney, so took the opportunity to talk directly with the Sprintex Agent -Tweakit who are based in Mona Vale a beach side suburb.

The kit supplied & fitted is $6000 without intercooler and the guy reckons is not really required for my purpose. However a set of extractors is a worthwhile addition at $470/500 & if the standard exhaust system needs to be changed, add a similar amount. The extractors have proved to be beneficial to HP /Torque gains & is fully recommended. The kit also comes complete with a piggyback ECU unit and in my case most necessary as I principally run on LPG, having 3 tanks for a total of 180 litres plus the standard petrol tank at 90 or so.

Interestingly they disconnect the LPG and install the charger to run on petrol & then send me off to another guy who does the LPG re-connection & tuning. Fortunately I know the young guy quite well, but haven`t been in touch for some years, so it looks like that will change as I pick his brains in the search for more detail.

If you are based in or around Brisbane the Sprintex Agents up there (Bullet cars) enjoy an enviable reputation as many of the Lcool members will testify.....so to conclude it looks like $6000 to 7000 depending on headers/exhaust system.

Still thinking, but a another mate did suggest that I should some more research on a LC100 V8 Petrol/ late model which are considerably cheaper to purchase and while not as fuel conservative as the TD does leave you with a lot of spare change to pay for the additional fuel and they are supposed to be a real cool motor.

Just a few thoughts from today & finally say that whichever way I wind up proceeding the result will need to be absolutely reliable, just as I have enjoyed the last 10 years.

Cheers

Frank

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:44 pm

For those dollars you could start looking at removing your1FZ and having a 6.5L V8 Chevy turbo diesel installed/engineered. It might be a shade over $7k however you'll get money back on your good 1FZ. Could use one of your existing gas tanks to go to a diesel/gas system and have a long range diesel tank fitted into the remaining space.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Sean Old Mate...where do I sign up for a Chevy fully installed for that sort of money ??.....advices please.

Frank

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next