View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Towing Mirrors 

Post Towing Mirrors
Hi All
I know this subject has been done before but i would like to know about the type that clip to the rear-vision mirror or Ora style. I bought a pair of fairly cheap ones but found the quality was lacking I am thinking of buying the Ora ones but would like some feedback on them.
Regards
Doug

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:12 am

Post Re: Towing Mirrors
G'day Doug

I had the mirrors to which you seek info. Mine where the type that slid into a mounting on the mirror for easy removal - leaving the mounting in place. Mine did not have a support arm and vibrated making vision difficult at times. I contemplated the support arm but was worried about marking paintwork etc. They were also prone to folding back with the mirror after a large truck or similar went past.

I've now upgaded to Clear View replacement mirrors

regards Jdog

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:34 am

I have the mirrors under discussion and use them with support arms. The fitting in the top end of the support arm that the screw passes through to attach them to the arms that hold the mirror are made of some kind of plastic and are very easy to break. This can happen when you meet trucks with high air displacement travelling at speed - theirs and yours.

Kevin

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 am

We use the ORA mirrors with the suction support to the door and found that they don't stay suctioned to the door all the time ..the plastic ?fittings will split if over tightened ( as we found out ) however the van shop where we purchased them had replacement parts ..
For what they are , we thought they were expensive however after having dramas with the cheaper variety these were the better alternative.
cheers Tezza n Maz

Maz & Tezza

Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:50 pm

maztez2 wrote:
We use the ORA mirrors with the suction support to the door and found that they don't stay suctioned to the door all the time
Hmmmmm... so they don't suck properly eh? Geeeez... that really sucks!

Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:57 pm

We use the magnetic variety and they stay STUCK.
Moorey

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Yeah Moorey, I've never been a fan of the suction principle. Perhaps on glass it performs best, but it only needs a leak rate of a few molecules and it will eventually fail. I also use magnetic bracing, but with 2 extra legs to form a triangle. I made my own from thin aluminium tubing and fridge magnet material. A bit fiddly to fit but they never blow off.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi,

We have had our Ora mirrors for the last 5 years. No probs at all. Easy to attach and remove and they don't scratch or mark the paintwork.

We use the magnetic supports as well and they have never swung back in with the passing trucks. Tried the suction at first and found they do move a bit. Go the magnetic supports!

Ora said that if you have an 4x4 with the larger mirrors, then they recommend the use of the magnetic supports and not the suction type. Ours is a 2009 Pajero.

Cheers,
Sally

2009 PAJERO PLATINUM AUTO DIESEL....AWESOME!

2005 CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

"OUR WEALTH IS OUR HEALTH"

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Location: Where We Are, Australia (Narre Warren South, Victoria)
G'day Doug.

Yes, like most others here, we also use the Ora mirrors. I fitted the longer extension and a magnetic arm on the driver's side. I have the magnetic arm angled down and back and have never had a problem with passing traffic. I also clean both the magnet and the door duco prior to applying the magnet as the magnet won't mark the duco, but the dust and grit will. Good system and doesn't damage duco or window rubbers!!

Best regards, Dawn & Lance.

Princeton 754 & 4500 Patrol Ti

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:46 am

Hi Doug i have the Torinos. The reason I like these are if someone goes past and is too close it just knocks them back I.e we went through some road works and someone going the other way had moved one of the large marker bolsters into my lane . Mirror bumped it and swung back out of the way. No damage to vehicle or mirror. The 2nd advantage it has is that once you have parked your van for the night at a Van Park and you need to go into town for supplies, no need to take mirrors of the vehicle , they just swing upwards out of they way. No taking of the vehicle and having to readjust. They also have excellent back up service if any thing untowards does happen, regards Les

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next