View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Handy cooker needed 

Post Re: Buying my Caravan
Thanks Glanyard, I particularly like the idea of the table, I will visit BCF this weekend to have a look .

Much appreciated.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Edit appreciated Glanyard. Maybe you could produce an after dark version :o
Ah, then again, maybe not. :lol:

2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:31 am

Post Re: Handy cooker needed
What's wrong with an electric frypan ? Or will you be away from 240v? Also use a siilicone sheet and use the park facility's ie their BBQ's

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi there
We use this a lot.
Not a heavy 240 user - generator powers it easy.
http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/product ... ti-cookers

Peter

http://pjb-smokie.blogspot.com/
Support zero population growth
http://www.population.org.au/
http://www.populationparty.org.au/

http://www.travelpod.com/members/peter_liz

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:16 pm
Profile WWW

Glanyards table is easily replicated, just look at any auto shop- Supercheap/Repco/Autobarn, ect for a 4wd step.

Amongst our camping equipment, we have a 2 burner gas stove on which we often use an aluminium plate, scavenged from a large 240V kitchen sandwich maker, with element removed. Similar to this

The advantages are, thick aluminium spreads the heat easily, but resists warping, much lighter than steel. Conveniently, it also has an oil drain around the perimeter, with a drain spout that we can direct excess oil away from the stove onto the ground or into a tin.

We also have a small stainless steel bell oven, that came off the rear of a yacht, which we use for roasts. It uses heat beads. I made a collapsible tripod that packs down into the oven itself. The tripod consists of 4 x 1/2 inch nuts welded one centrally, and the other 3 at an angle. And 3 lengths of 1/2 inch alloy rod, with the appropriate thread tapped on one end to fit into the 1/2 inch nuts. The whole thing then packs into a camp oven canvas bag. It cooks a nice roast for 2.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Keeping it simple, I have the two burner camping stove and a small gas cylinder which I can use outside if hot, if we run out of gas in the caravan bottles (happened once when we had to dispense with a cylinder that seem to leak when turned on), or when we spend a night or two away from the caravan. I purchased it when we were married over forty years ago instead of lighting up the old Metters wood stove after work. It looks its age, but has had a few replacements over the years. Lightweight and doesn't take up much room.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:11 pm
Profile WWW

glanyard wrote:
For those interested. Here is the photo (I hope ) that goes with the story.
glanyard

thats a great idea for the spare wheel and table

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:20 am

We use a Weber Baby Q or an Ecopot depending on the dish to be cooked. Both take up little room and can be used for many, many things. I have cooked cakes in both. I only get time to cook when we are on holidays so I love to experiment and found both these pieces of equipment keep me happy and my other half well fed and contented.

Regards
Jay

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks everyone, we have gone with a two burner for $50 with the gas cartrages, the table idea off the wheel is a great idea and one we will adopt. Thanks for the photo. Down the track we might go with the alternative to webber Q wiht the gas bottle.

Thanks again

Baz and Gil

8-)

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:
Glanyards table is easily replicated, just look at any auto shop- Supercheap/Repco/Autobarn, ect for a 4wd step.

Amongst our camping equipment, we have a 2 burner gas stove on which we often use an aluminium plate, scavenged from a large 240V kitchen sandwich maker, with element removed. Similar to this

The advantages are, thick aluminium spreads the heat easily, but resists warping, much lighter than steel. Conveniently, it also has an oil drain around the perimeter, with a drain spout that we can direct excess oil away from the stove onto the ground or into a tin.

We also have a small stainless steel bell oven, that came off the rear of a yacht, which we use for roasts. It uses heat beads. I made a collapsible tripod that packs down into the oven itself. The tripod consists of 4 x 1/2 inch nuts welded one centrally, and the other 3 at an angle. And 3 lengths of 1/2 inch alloy rod, with the appropriate thread tapped on one end to fit into the 1/2 inch nuts. The whole thing then packs into a camp oven canvas bag. It cooks a nice roast for 2.

I also have a 4 X 4 step, but it is more than 3 times the weight which is something I have to be careful of.
glanyard

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2