View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Handy cooker needed 

Post Handy cooker needed
Thanks everyone who provided advice we are now the proud owners of a 2004 Supreme Spirit off road caravan.
Now getting ready for our first trip.
We keep telling each other to 'Keep it simple' when packing.

A quick one, can anyone suggest a handy cooker for using outside that doesn't take up much space?

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Post Re: Buying my Caravan
aussiealltrails wrote:
Thanks everyone who provided advice we are now the proud owners of a 2004 Supreme Spirit off road caravan.
Now getting ready for our first trip.
We keep telling each other to 'Keep it simple' when packing.

A quick one, can anyone suggest a handy cooker for using outside that doesn't take up much space?

Congratulations on the new to you caravan. As you had a camper, I am sure you had a cooking stove or BBQ before outside so what do you want from this cooking appliance, general or something for roasts? or??
There is a lot of good stuff out there, made and manufactured but as I keep telling my other half, we can't take it all so everything we take usually has two uses or it just doesn't go.

So what is it that you really want this cooker to do?? Some of the people on this forum have some really innovitive stuff..

Many happy trips to you!!!

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:47 am

Hello Tripping away, I guess we are looking for something we can cook some old fashion bacon and eggs but will also allow us to do some grilling and an occassional roast.

I have heard the baby webber is popular.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:21 am

aussiealltrails wrote:
Hello Tripping away, I guess we are looking for something we can cook some old fashion bacon and eggs but will also allow us to do some grilling and an occassional roast.

We have a rear entry caravan and have had the spare wheel/tyre mounted on a swing away mount also at the rear.
I use a fold-up table, sourced from BCF, designed to attach to the wheel/tyre and use a one burner stove, sourced from anywhere, and a cast iron plate from KMart. All the heat, cooking smells and fat laden smoke, stays outside. I can cook meats for the the two of us and have proven it in all conditions. If you have a 4 X 4 with a wheel/tyre on the rear you can put there if the weather allows.
glanyard

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:45 am

aussiealltrails wrote:

We have a rear entry caravan and have had the spare wheel/tyre mounted on a swing away mount also at the rear.
I use a fold-up table, sourced from BCF, designed to attach to the wheel/tyre and use a one burner stove, sourced from anywhere, and a cast iron plate from KMart. All the heat, cooking smells and fat laden smoke, stays outside. I can cook meats for the the two of us and have proven it in all conditions. If you have a 4 X 4 with a wheel/tyre on the rear you can put there if the weather allows.
glanyard

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:46 am

For those interested. Here is the photo (I hope ) that goes with the story.
glanyard

Attachments:
DSC_0474 (2).JPG
DSC_0474 (2).JPG [ 79.58 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Tripping Away,
We looked at the Webber Q a bit xxy for us, purchased a Hark 2 burner portable B.B.Q. on ebay for $114.00. Anaconda had them on special the next week for $85.00 :-x currently $175.00. Light weight and fits into front boot of our van. Also fitted a bayonet gas point on door side of van(registered gas fitter), so plug and play. Cooks good but have not tried a roast yet, Check it out at Anaconda :!: (no affiliation)
Baz

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:09 am

aussiealltrails,
We have a Baby Q with the raised lid (another $120 aftermarket addition) and find that it cooks roasts and BBQ meat very well. The downside is its weight and cleaning it.

Over the years, we have tried lots, we have a Cobb which we cook roasts on, can even cook slow meals in a saucepan on the Cobb, but slow cook is the word here.. Beautiful food, just takes a while and again, cleaning after a roast.

We also have the single burner gas with throwaway gas tins, really great to pull out on the road but can be very wind affected and expensive if you buy your gas at the wrong place (Big W - Approx $5-00 for 4 tins)

So our main cooker is a companion two burner that has a regulator so we just pull off one gas bottle off the van and screw it in always trying to empty the most used gas bottle. We use a wire toaster (about $3 from BCF or Ranger or some BigW) for our toast, cooks really quickly. Use aliminium fold up tables to save on weight and have two, one for eating and one for food prep and cooking.

Sometimes take the Baby Q, sometimes the Cobb but never both. But these are our preferences only.
A friend of ours has one of those thermos type cookers and nothing wrong with them either. We got most of our ideas by looking at what others use out on the road and if you approach people the right way, they are always willing to tell you about what they use and think about them..
Over the years, we have changed what we prefer to use and so will you as you see new things.

What is right for me may not be good for you. Good Luck and happy shopping.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:53 am

glanyard wrote:
glanyard

Very clever Glanyard, and also look the be a well balanced cook, (both hands occupied" :o

2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:55 pm

Tony48 wrote:
glanyard wrote:
glanyard

Very clever Glanyard, and also look the be a well balanced cook, (both hands occupied" :o

Because I am only wearing shorts, the caption is "naked chef cooking with wine!" (I did the right thing and edited out my main features)
glanyard

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next