View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Cobb Cooker 

Post Cobb Cooker
G'day Guys and Gals,
Just wondering does anyone use the fantastic Cobb?
We've had one for about 5years and it's one of the best bits of gear we've ever bought.

;-) Sol

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:33 am

Post Re: Cobb Cooker
Haven't got one but starting to realize travelling with less is best. Too much is being promoted for the caravanner but in reality not much is needed to enjoy yourself. Went to caravan show and if I bought everything they said I needed I would need a b double to carry it all.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:32 am

G'day All,

I bought a Cobb Cooker for the owner/trainer for Mother's Day. I got a heap of brownie points that moved me up from minus a lot of points to now not so far below zero. She loves it and when learnt how to fly the offerings out of it were excellent. Her only negative comment was about washing it up after cooking a baked dinner - she said it was a bit of a pain in the A.
A trick she learnt was that when she finished cooking she pulled out the fuel basket with tongs and placed it in a bucket of water. Later the basket was removed and left to dry and when next cooking session arrived the basket was either placed in the fire or over a gas ring, with three or four new heat beads, and in a very short time the heat output was ready for the next cook. If the heat beads weren't removed they would still be heating for hours after and this heat was wasted. By removing the basket after cooking and putting it in water it reduced the heat bead consumption by more than half.

Cheers CHONGA

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Sol, We have had a Cobb for four years, a great cooker but as previously said, you just can't take it all. With the new van, we have left the Cobb out and in preference, we now take the baby Q.

Even though we have one, I do think they are overpriced but they are good. (Baby Q and Cobb)
Regards

Please note that you should take what you want with you, we do within the weight allowance.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:03 pm

We have a Vista Crossover and take the Cobb everywhere we go camping. No oven in camper.
Cooks beautiful roasts, cakes, scones, chicken kievs,etc.
Chonga, yes we do the same.

;-) Sol

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:56 am

Love our cobb cooker. Nothing beats roasted beef & gravy sandwich (except a roast dinner cooked over a fire in a camp oven but that only comes with us when we camp in a tent its too heavy for the van) after a hard day of sightseeing. Now that we have raised our bed by 3cm & added gas struts we can fit it all in & its not left under the table, in the way. I also love our webber Q. As I have a large family I usually cook the meat in the cobb & the veggies on the Webber. We cook a very large beef, lamb or chicken so we have leftovers for sandwiches the next day. But each to their own.
Taken note of the removing of fuel to a bucket of water. I usually use the coconut fuel. They last for 2hrs.

Take nothing but photos leave nothing but footprints
http://blog.travelpod.com/members/reidysroaming

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Where do you purchase the coconut heat beads ???? :lol: I got them once (great heat) but now cant find them ad Bunnings and the camp shops don't know what you are talking about.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Bales wrote:
Where do you purchase the coconut heat beads ???? :lol: I got them once (great heat) but now cant find them ad Bunnings and the camp shops don't know what you are talking about.

This may help.
http://www.wheelandbarrow.com.au/BBQ-Fu ... Fire-6pcs/

cheers
Gran'n'Grumps

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 pm

We love our Cobb. We use it at home for roasts sometimes.

When we did our kitchen DIY as few years back (which meant no stove or oven for quite a few days) we used the Cobb for everything. When our friends heard about the renos we got invited over for dinners - and they were amazed we still had roasts, etc. One friend went and bought one.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm
Profile WWW

I get the coconut heat beads from Rays Outdoors & I also think BCF carry them. Sometimes when I have the heat beads for too long though they take a long time to catch alight.

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-s ... escription

It seems they have changed their brand

Take nothing but photos leave nothing but footprints
http://blog.travelpod.com/members/reidysroaming

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]